Greylock or something in that area???

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donna

Reaction score
Within the next couple of weeks my sister and I want to hike Greylock or something in that area. Does anyone know what's happening out there? What will be a good hike in that area? I've never hiked Greylock so I was leaning towards that. Any suggestions? What's the best trail to take?

last year, I did the cheshire harbor trail to the summit. (i think it hits the AT up high for the last .5 miles or something).

Its nice and easy - conor hiked most of it up.

if I was going again w/o child - I might come in one of the longer ways from the south and traverse to north adams via AT if you can do that with cars, etc..

Tmax and I did Greylock from the AT trailhead by Williamstown reservoir south over Mt Williams and Fitch to Greylock, then we went down the west side to the March Cataract Falls (by the campground) and then out (got picked up). Wasn't planned on the pickup but it was a nice hike.

I think Bascom Lodge is still closed....

http://www.berkshirehiking.com/hikes/mt_greylock.html

Yup, at least that link suggests the road and lodge are closed til 2009.

Jay

If you're interested in neat topography, The Hopper is pretty awesome (I've only taken it up to Stony Ledge, but it was neat). A loop could be made, heading back down via Prospect.

If you take the Thunderbolt, there's a lot of neat ski history on and around it. The Thunderbolt was (and is starting to become again) a pretty popular alpine ski trail before WWII. At the bottom, you're also at the base area of a defunct, never completed alpine ski area - there's a path that goes flat from the Thunderbolt base across the base area of the ski area, passing a few never completed ski lifts, which feature lift towers that are now *lower* than the trees. You can also check out the summit of the area, which is close to the lower part of the Bellows Pipe Trail if I recall. If you look at that side of Greylock at just the right time of day, the sun reflects off the lights, which are scattered throughout the woods there.

DougPaul said:
The main road over Greylock is closed for repair. (The trails are open.) You might want to call the VC to find out exactly where the closures are.

http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/mtGreylock/

Doug

It should be noted that the Hopper and Thunderbolt trailheads shouldn't be affected by the construction, as they are located on the west and east sides of the mountain, far away from the auto road work.

If you haven't hiked Greylock then it is a must. Now, if you had attended Gathering 9.0 then you'd have bagged this one.

The part of the AT around the Mass.-Conn. border has some interesting summits which could make for a real long loop unless you can car spot.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your thoughts. I'm just waiting for a nice sunny day...probably head up on a weekday within the next two weeks.

donna said:
Thanks everyone. I appreciate your thoughts. I'm just waiting for a nice sunny day...probably head up on a weekday within the next two weeks.

My take on the situation as of 7/5 was that the summit area on a weekday is apt to be a pretty busy place. All of the pavers and other construction equipment were poised for the final coat of pavement. However by the time of your arrival the focus of activity might well have shifted.

With weekends, on the other hand, the summit was deserted, except for hikers.