Greylock via the Thunderbolt Ski Trail 12/18/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masshysteria

Reaction score
It was about 10 above when I left the trail head for the Thunderbolt Ski Trail. The climb up was pretty straight forward as I didn't need snowshoes, as long as I stayed on the traveled path.

Micro-spikes worked great for traction! I've used them with excellent results on flat ice while ice fishing. No problem on the steep pitches of the Thunderbolt, or the many frozen seeps in the trails :tup:

The Thunderbolt was steep, but made a direct route for the summit. I was able to check out some places to watch the 75th anniversary races which will be held here in Feb. The summit was cold (+2) but the wind was ferocious. Changed clothes and had lunch in the Thunderbolt shelter. Didn't see anyone all day, except as I was getting ready to leave the shelter to descend, 2 snowmobilers came in to escape the winds fury, so they could enjoy their beer.

On the return, I took the Bellows Pipe trail back to Thiel Road. Beautiful day!

Snowshoes weren't needed as long as you stayed in the traveled way. The AT on the ridge had some deeper drifts that I went down in a couple of times, but nothing dramatic.

pics; http://community.webshots.com/album/575962327vmAjeN