Grounded

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianChris

Reaction score
How
I have a Eureka Summit (an older one, green/purple) and am planning on leaving the fly home next trip. What's your experiences with this tent or any other in the rain with no fly?
I just sealed the seams.
As a matter of fact I actully took a picture of the yard today with the tent in it.
Thanks

It will leak like a sieve. The uncoated nylon is designed to rapidly pass moisture from the tent and out under the fly. You will be protected from insects, but not from any falling rain.

Hey Chris - That was my first "true" 4 season tent. I am not sure why you want to leave the fly at home, unless you were absolutely certian there would be no rain and needed protection only from the bugs. Otherwise you'll be soaked!!!! :D

FWIW, Even with the fly on, that tent always leaked. There is a junction on the fly where 3 pieces of material come together near the forward top of the tent - They make something like a triangle. No matter how many times I seam sealed the whole bit, that area always leaked in heavy rain.

The only other ting I didn't like was there was no back door to get into the rear vesty from the inside of the tent

Well then if the weather isn't going to be clear, I'll bring the fly. With the fly I have always stayed when it rained- very happy with this tent aside from the fact that all in all, it's a little heavy to carry around - 7+lbs. (thinking about eventually getting TNF Tadpole (for 3-seasoning, of course)).
Thanks everybody.