Gunks Traverse

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
I'd like to do a Gunks traverse, starting at the Sam's Pt. Parking area, and going all the way to the Eastern end of the Mohonk Preserve, where there is a parking lot for accessing the Wallkill River. This route looks like about 21 miles, the exact choice of paths being up to us as we do the hike. Generally, it will be a downhill walk, from 2000' to about 200'.

Laurie and I have 2 cars, and we would like to spot a 3rd car along the way somewhere, maybe at Awosting, Spring Farm, or the Mohonk Preserve Visitor Center, in case we need a bailout option.

Anyone accompanying us will need a hiking pass for the Mohonk preserve. Sam's Pt. has a parking fee of $7.00, and the facility is open 8 AM - 8 PM. I'm looking into getting permission to enter early, as I have an acquaintance who works at the park. For Minnewaske, there is no hiking fee, but there is a parking fee if we spot a car there. The Park opens at 9 AM, so I don't think that will be a problem, since it is several miles to the park from either end.

I realize the fire situation might interfere with our plans, so I'll keep an eye on that situation. Right now all trails south of the Steel Bridge are closed.

So, who is interested?

Tom Rankin said:
For Minnewaske, there is no hiking fee, but there is a parking fee if we spot a car there. The Park opens at 9 AM, so I don't think that will be a problem, since it is several miles to the park from either end.?
If it opens at 9, how will you spot a car there ? I'm assuming an earlier start.

Tom Rankin said:
Right now all trails south of the Steel Bridge are closed. ?
How quickly might those be open ? Not in the next couple weeks probably, right ?

Tom Rankin said:
So, who is interested?
Me. Got a date in mind or just gathering interest ?

Chip said:
If it opens at 9, how will you spot a car there ? I'm assuming an earlier start.

How quickly might those be open ? Not in the next couple weeks probably, right?

Me. Got a date in mind or just gathering interest ?

There are 3 parks we will go thru: Sam's Pt., then Minnewaska, then Mohonk. I don't see getting to Minnewaska before 9 if we have to start at 8 at Sam's Pt. As for spotting a car, that could be a problem, I see what you mean. However, I just noticed that Mohonk is open Sunrise to Sunset, so we can park there early.

Really not sure about the trails, they have not even opened the roads yet!

June 14th or 15th might work for us.

Last edited:
We have one more person interested via PM, and I think June 14th / 15th is shaping up as the weekend.

Any preferences on which date?

Note: anyone who can not post here can join ADKHPs and see the same titled thread over there.

Chip said:
We may be in NH that weekend doing an Alpine Garden hike, but if it works for everyone keep the date as our plans might change any who.
ok, we'll send you pics of the mountain laurel, you send us pics of diapensia! :D

What happened with the fire, Tom? Didn't a lot of the ridge burn over the weekend? Any links to new info?

I hope you guys have a great hike regardless, sorry for the queries...

funkyfreddy said:
What happened with the fire, Tom? Didn't a lot of the ridge burn over the weekend? Any links to new info?

Hey, Fred. The latest news is that as of yesterday afternoon, the fire was pretty much out. They have been in the "mop-up" phase since then.

Matt

Edit: The fire is contained at this time, not completely out. Weather conditions today are such that they are on standby as they continue mop-up, but the plan is for 44-55 to reopen up there tonight.

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080423/NEWS01/80423012/1001/news

Last edited:
Hey Tom
This is something I have been thinking about for quite a long time, just never got to it. If I am not working, then I am in.

Doodles, great!

The 15th being Father's Day, let's shoot for June 14th!

Maybe Sunday can be the rain date.

So far, we have 9 people who have expressed an interest!

Last edited:
wyldeflower said:
I can make it on Sat. June 14th, but am unavailable Sun. June 15th.

We are having a planning meeting some time this week, probably Thursday after work in New Paltz. Anyone is welcome to attend. Logistics and exact route will be discussed over a few cold pints of Otter Brew! :D

If you can not attend, please tell us what dates you are available that weekend and if you are willing to spot a car. Also, if you are a member of the Mohonk preserve or any other local preserve that will help.