Guyot Campsite

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tahoma

Reaction score
I've never been to the actual Guyot campsite. Ive seen some photos of the shelter and it appears there is no door on it. Does it remain open in the winter? I was thinking it would make a nice bivy this winter on the loop.

It's a three walled shelter, with a partial closed front wall. People sometimes hang tarps over the opening in winter for added warmth. It's also in the trees so it's not so bad. Deep in the shelter is quite protected.

All shelters remain open for use year round.

A few years ago a couple friends and I stayed there one night in February. This was during a "normal" winter, and we were amazed - and thankful! - that the spring was flowing. We had fun the next morning sharing our breakfast with gray jays, who flew right into the shelter!

In my opinion it is the premier shelter in the White Mountains. Unfortunately, the crowds in the summer attest to that. You might be better off using it in the winter.

On a cold gloomy winter stormy day it's quite depressing ;-)

Nice shelter and the tent spots aren't too bad either.

In my opinion it is the premier shelter in the White Mountains. Unfortunately, the crowds in the summer attest to that. You might be better off using it in the winter.

Thanks! I plan to use it Sat night this weekend. Sounds like a great place to crash and have access to (fingers crossed) a nice winter sunrise from w.Bond.

Just don't assume you will be the only one there, It gets use year round. One piece of trivia is right around Columbus Day weekend the sun rise lines up quite closely with the front door.

Just don't assume you will be the only one there, It gets use year round. One piece of trivia is right around Columbus Day weekend the sun rise lines up quite closely with the front door.

I wont. Ill have a bivy bag as well for staying in the open in case its full