Hammer Time (Favorite short, steep trail sections)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Old Spec Trail from Route 26 ascends 650 feet in .5 miles and the ascent begins about .3 miles from the trailhead. There is a good deal of it that features well built stone steps so the descent is relatively safe and easy.

Thanks Paradox - this one sounds ideal too. I'll definitely add it to the list. Last time I was on Old Speck was maybe 3 winters ago, and I haven't seen what this trail looks like without snow in probably 10 years.

Straight Up

If memory serves,the original AT up Old Spec fromGrafton Notch was one mile of straight up trail and vey steep. If you can still find the trail. I has been 25 years since I was on that trail. And, there is always the Flume trail and Howker Ridge. Remember both as being strenuous and steep.:)

The original Fire Wardens trail up Speck has been closed for many years deservedly so. It was severly eroded and has turned into a dranage ditch. It is quite obvious from a distance when the leaves are off the trails. Its a good example of a "fall line" trail, get a big rock rolling off the top of a mountain and lay in a path that follow where the boulder went. The current AT is steep but far more hardened.

North Moat from the north is one steady climb with reasonable footing and a stream at the bottom to jump into.

maine

precipice trail & beehive trail, both in acadia, pretty much define short and steep.. also the chimney on tumbledown..

After hiking the Mount Major trail in 90 degree heat yesterday, I was reminded once again why the top half of the trail has little to no vegetation on it. :)

It climbs about 900 ft in 3/4 of a mile, if you stop to turn around once in awhile, though, the views more than make up for the pain. ;)