Handguns on the trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not with a man-eating dog you don't!!

Kevin Rooney said:
Have never carried a gun while hiking and can think of no reason to begin. To the best of my knowledge, have never hiked with anyone who did, either. And, who never knowingly hike with anyone who was carrying a gun, visible or not.
People with 150+ lb dogs, by definition, do not need to carry guns. I think that disqualifies you from this thread! :D :p :D :p :D :p :D :p (just kidding).

-Dr. Wu

dr_wu002 said:
People with 150+ lb dogs, by definition, do not need to carry guns. I think that disqualifies you from this thread! :D :p :D :p :D :p :D :p (just kidding).

-Dr. Wu
There's some truth in that! On the other hand - When he's along I really have to watch out for other dogs on the trail, especially small ones. He's been blindsided by a couple of the small variety - best defense is a good offense - but I digress.

So, if ya gotta pack some heat, pack a Newfie! They might also help keep you warm in a jam.

Kevin Rooney said:
Have never carried a gun while hiking and can think of no reason to begin. To the best of my knowledge, have never hiked with anyone who did, either. And, who never knowingly hike with anyone who was carrying a gun, visible or not.

To qualify the above somewhat: if I were ever hiking in an area where there were LOTS of large bears (griz, Kodiak, polar, etc - black bears don't count) I might reconsider and pack a large caliber rifle, like my .270.

Same for me, including the part about large bears.

In responding to DM's reminder to stay topic, my post refers to being on the trail....

adirobdack46r said:
In this instance it was two women (sisters) and they had rather long barreled revolvers on their sides that stuck out past the bottom of their jackets. And they openly mentioned that they had them.
Jersey girls, I'll bet.

My extended family is loaded with cops and military. None of them ever goes anywhere without a weapon. I just recently found out that my brother owns ten handguns. I don't know why.

I don't fit in with this crew. I have never owned, carried or fired a pistol, and I have no intention of changing that now.

lumberzac said:
No, I don’t carry a gun with me into the back county, except when I go hunting. I did camp with someone once that brought a handgun and it was a non-issue.

Ironicaly, I used to carry a handgun while hunting, for back-up. Then I realized how heavy the thing was, and that if I did my part I would not need back-up :D

But like Kevin says, if I were hiking out west or in Alaska, than some sort of heavy protection is a must. Too many stories of Grizzly bears ambushing unsuspecting people, and from what Ive been seeing reported lately, it appears Mountain Lions are doing a lot of serious harm. :eek:

Brian

sleeping bear said:
I think a mountain lion would be half done with you by the time you got around the getting the gun out. You could walk with it drawn, but I don't think you'd make too many friends.

I have heard that firecrackers are effective in scaring off large animals such as bears, but don't have any firsthand expereince.

and you could get out the firecrackers and light them before the mountain lion was "half done with you"? :D

Aim!

SteveHiker said:
and you could get out the firecrackers and light them before the mountain lion was "half done with you"? :D
silly goose! you keep one lit all the time and simply "throw when needed!"

-Dr. Wu

I hike with local friends that always carry, but not because they are paranoid, they are just as comfortable with a handgun as they are a knife, so to them it's just another tool that has a specific use.

Thus I have no problem with anyone packing heat, but I'm not about to add 2+ pounds to my own pack when I'm trying to cut down on the weight as it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
<mod hat>
OK folks, last chance. Stay on topic (do you carry a gun, or do you hike with people who carry?), no discussions of gun control, motivations or the NRA.

-dave-
</mod hat>

I have carried my .45 Auto a couple times, but it adds to much weight. I do not know of anyone "Packing" on hikes I have been on.

Status
Not open for further replies.