Has anyone else read "Wild" by Cheryl Strayed?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carla

Reaction score
I just finished reading Wild, by Cheryl Strayed. It's a memoir about a woman "finding herself" by hiking the Pacific Crest Trail. Very good and interesting and emotional. I would describe it as "Eat Pray Love" meets "A Walk in the Woods." And I mean that in a very good way.

Great descriptions of hiking and this hike in particular, and then emotions and feelings thrown in. Highly recommended!

--Carla

Got in on CD from the library this morning. Very much looking forward to "reading" it. Thanks. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendations. I have read reviews in the Wall Street Journal and Outside that make it sound intriguing.

I think I will hate for this book to end. The yard work is just "flying by" as I listen.

Thanks for the recommendation. I just picked it up last night. In a similar vein, I enjoyed Jennifer Pharr Davis's Becoming Odyssa, mostly a coming-of-age story about her first AT completion and only a little about her record-breaking trip.

Just wondering...do you think that is her real last name? Good one for a long trail hiker.

I just looked at the Prologue on Amazon and immediately purchased the eversion for my Kindle. Not only that, but I was spurred to look for another ebook. I didn't expect to find it, as just a few weeks ago it was not available electronically, only in print. So this afternoon, over the magic of the air, I will receive both "Wild" and "Medicine and Compassion" (recommended reading by EXUM Guides).

Yes, that's her real name

Just wondering...do you think that is her real last name? Good one for a long trail hiker.

In the book she explains how she came to have that interesting last name.

I liked Wild so much that I am now reading her novel--"Torch"....there are many overlaps--it;s clear that she based the novel on her real life--very interesting and well done.

I finished the book last night and really enjoyed it.

I was appalled at how ill prepared she was for her hike, but have a lot of respect for her - what a tough cookie to do what she did without the preparation.

I'm glad she "found" herself - seems like she's doing well now.

Im very interested in reading this book and have my town librarian pondering buying the book as we speak.;)

Im very interested in reading this book and have my town librarian pondering buying the book as we speak.;)

Yes! Hoorah to our public libraries. We don't need to own everything; we can borrow, recommend, and share.

Yes! Hoorah to our public libraries. We don't need to own everything; we can borrow, recommend, and share.

I used to collect books and had most of the classic white mountain books, as well as 100's of classic mountaineering books. Then I started moving around the country and found the collection cumbersome to move. Then I met Michael Chessler in CO, he has the most extensive catalogs of mountaineering books out there and I sold him all but a few of my books. Now I use the library and rarely buy books. Ill go to barnes and noble see whats out there and new then hand my list to my favorite librarian.
Update, my library has purchased the book and Im on the list, they have had multiple request for the book, so I think its taking off. I will post a follow up review when Im finished.

Last edited:
will make a great movie

I think it would be great if Wild came out as a movie. I can see Reese Witherspoon starring, but she better get into decent hiking shape first. Maybe she should do the 48 to get fit, and then go back West to do some filming on location.

This really could be an Eat Pray Love kind of movie, but with [more interesting] sex and drugs...in my opinion ; )

I think it would be great if Wild came out as a movie. I can see Reese Witherspoon starring, but she better get into decent hiking shape first. Maybe she should do the 48 to get fit, and then go back West to do some filming on location.

This really could be an Eat Pray Love kind of movie, but with [more interesting] sex and drugs...in my opinion ; )

I think Reese Witherspoon would be great for the part, but they should add a twist. Like some crazy mountain man stalking her through the entire hike, I woud be perfect for that part.:eek:

Just ran into the book on the front table at the Harvard Coop when we were there for Trish and Alex's book signing for UP on Tuesday night. All I had to do was read the first page to be hooked. Picked up the Kindle copy when we got home (along with the signed print and Kindle editions of UP). Can't wait to finish reading them both!

I'm sitting in my village (Huntingdon, Quebec) library right now and Wild, along with, Freedom Climbers just arrived. I had asked my librarian to order them. Here we can only take out one new addition at a time and so I signed Freedom Climbers out. Wild will be next.:p