Have longboard, will travel

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pamola

Reaction score
Chances of this one finding a mark are small, I know. After the washing machine post, I know it's not too off-topic though.

My crazy idea:
Hike up the East Mountain road in N Vermont and longboard down. 4 long miles of summer carving.

Who's with me? Who actually has a longboard? Who's says this is stupid? Who says it's cheating?
Rollerblades welcome too.

This will happen any time it's actually sunny and I'm not working. Weekend soon or some afternoon. If anyone's interested, whenever it works for both of us.

Pamola said:
Who's says this is stupid? Who says it's cheating?
Not I. I'm a former distance "short" boarder. We had a short, steep hike off our college campus that got us up a small mountain with roads and park that had been closed due to local abuse. No traffic and the roads were pristine. We'd skate down through there and out through a couple neighborhoods right back to campus. All down hill and about a 3 or 4 mile run. Good times.

I didn't know what a longboard was until I read the Burlington Free Press this morning. They have a picture of a guy who took a bad spill longboarding down route 108 in Smugglers Notch yesterday. He is the owner of a skateboard shop in Burlington and the article said "his condition at press time was unknown" :(

I'll be wearing protection. ;)

Although I do fully expect to have some road rash pics for everybody. Comes with the territory.

People use longboards in different ways. Racers and hardcore folks basically tuck down hills, going straight as an arrow. Unless you have perfect balance and strong legs the board can get squirrelly underneath you and chatter out of control. The other way is carving. Slower, more control, but takes up space. Since the guy from Burlington was going down a major route, I assume we was using the former method, which is far far more dangerous.

Pamola said:
I'll be wearing protection. ;)

Although I do fully expect to have some road rash pics for everybody. Comes with the territory.

People use longboards in different ways. Racers and hardcore folks basically tuck down hills, going straight as an arrow. Unless you have perfect balance and strong legs the board can get squirrelly underneath you and chatter out of control. The other way is carving. Slower, more control, but takes up space. Since the guy from Burlington was going down a major route, I assume we was using the former method, which is far far more dangerous.
I do not know how the AMC views the use of wheels for getting up and down and summits, but if you want it to count for the 46Rs, you can not use any wheels. Skis are allowed, so you could perhaps grass ski back down!

Maybe you should parasail off the top, you crazy, selfish, egomaniac, you!

I have a feeling that if you ever got close to completing the 3k list, going back to do East Mtn without the aid of a wheeled descent wouldn't be a terrible inconvenience...