Have you hiked Mt. Tecumseh from WV lately?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky Laura

Reaction score
I know you're thinking, "come on, a Trip report on Mt. Tecumseh"?! I cannot resist as yesterday's hike (6/10/12) up Tecumseh was on the heels of visiting it for a sunset hike only 3 weeks ago or so. This trail is quickly being transformed into an engineering marvel by none other than Jeremy aka Rocket and I believe a couple of others. It starts with well placed rocks to cross the stream right out of the parking lot... followed by what resembles a garden path- beautifully level gravel/dirt framed on both sides by medium sized rocks.

The real impressive stretch lays in the gorgeous rock staircase these maintainers have crafted on the long slog past the 2nd stream crossing. It's simply a work of art. Tecumseh may not excite experienced hikers but I don't think anyone could help but admire the hard work and excellent craftsmanship being created by the trail adopters. The footing is a joy both up and down.

I grew to routinely taking the left fork to the summit from the ridge, enjoying the westerly views from an opening- especially for sunset hikes. But I noticed taking the right fork the last couple of times some great views of Snows Mountain and Welch and Dickey through an opening which is easy to miss. And at the top, when looking between the Osceolas, you can see the grand master Washington. On my last hike in May, you could make out the snow. None this time but still an alluring view.

Huge kudos to Jeremy and company for their hard work and amazing talent on this trail!

A few days ago I posted a report on my Blog about a hike to Tecumseh from Tripoli Road. Upon arriving at the top of Tecumseh I met a couple who had hiked up from Waterville Valley. They were raving about the splendid stone work they encountered on their way up the mountain.

A huge 'pat on the back' to Jeremy and those who lent a hand in this project!
(Sounds like I need to do Tecumseh again just to witness this awesome trail-work!):)

I have to agree, the stairs and turnpiking are real nice.

And while Tecumseh is not real breathtaking by any stretch of the word, it does have it's views.