Hawaii

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunter

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to go to Hawaii in March for business and was considering adding a couple of days to see the sights. One thing I would like to do is go for a hike, preferably with some elevation gain and views, but could use some help if anyone has any experience or resources. If time permitted, I wouldn't mind a second option taking in the local views perhaps not as strenous in case of company.

I am specifically interested in something that can be done as a day trip, what equipment would be needed, and if there are any web sites or publications that I could use to read up on the trip. Of course if anyone wants to meet at the trailhead and come along that would be fine (transportation not included) :)

There is a ton of hiking. What island will you be on?

If you are going to be on Oahu, maybe we can get together. I won't be able to hike much (or at all - my full leg cast is due to come off the beginning of Feb. I haven't really walked in 7 months, so I doubt I'll be able to do much by March, even if things go for the best). I should be able to show you around though.

You should definately add on extra days. It is a looooong way to fly not to see the sights.

This site has some info on hiking on Oahu:

http://www.backyardoahu.com/

- darren

Part of the trip (the business part) we'll be staying on Manele Bay at the 4 Seasons on Lana'i. Outside of that we haven't made any additional plans as of yet.

I've only been to Lana'i once and it was only to party for a day. So, I don't know too much about it but I don't think it is known for hiking.

The good hiking is on the Big Island (almost 14k' peaks - yah, from sea level!), Oahu has crazy ridge hikes on tons of 4k'ers, and Kauai has beautiful hiking on the coast and a mini-grand canyon.

Let me know when you figure out how much time you will have and where you want to go.

- d

I hiked on Maui last spring. There are trails around the dead volcano on the island. That take you through large Redwood's planted there by the white man. With great views looking down at the ocean.
See Polipoli State Park area.
Many different levels and mileage's of hiking on this mountain. A 10,000 ft. volcano peak.
There is an overnight hike through the volcano vents that is like being on Mars. See HALEAKALA Crater
Lot's of other hikes as well on Maui. There are books on Maui hikes out there. I'd recommend a hike in the Crater as it's so different.

A nice halfday hike on Oahu is DiamondHead, though expect the crowds as it is close to Waikiki and isn't exactly remote. Bring a flashlight and enjoy the history and the views. You can get there via public transportation on "the Bus".

The Kalalau trail on Kauai is beautiful, it's really a backpack but for dayhikes, you can hike out to the 1st or 2nd waterfall and back and it is a beautiful trail, however, the best way to see the Na Pali coast there is to backpack to the beach at the end and camp. Did this with my sister back in 2001. Loved it!

Waimea Canyon is beautiful too, lots of dayhikes in the area, but the hike down into the canyon is another backpack preferrably.

Jay

We will probably have three, possibly four days to get in some hiking etc. I anticipate I can plan two day hikes, preferably on one of the islands with the other days allotted for taking in the sights. One day hike should be moderate, nothing more difficult than say climbing Mt Washington here at home, the other can be somewhere between a Presi traverse and a couple of 4ks.

I am also interested in knowing what type of gear to bring:
boots or are trail running shoes okay? clothing (layers), pack, etc. I am hoping to ship some of the gear rather than haul it through the airport

I appreciate everyones input

There are a number of short hikes around the volcanic areas on the Big Island. For instance, I hiked across Kilauea Iki (small side volcanic crater) to Kilauea (the big crater) to Halemaumau (the active inner crater) and back to Volcano House. Not something you see in the NE...

Doug

Hiking in Hawaii

My wife and I were out on Kauai in 2004. We hiked a bunch around Waimea Canyon. This is an aboslutely beautiful area and has a well deserved reputation as the Grand Canyon of the Pacific. There are numerous hikes in the area that range from 2 hours to all day. We did a hike along the canyon rim that led the top of the large falls (name escapes me at the moment) right as the sun began to dip at the end of the day and the colors were absolutely amazing.

One cool thing about hiking in this area is the the highway ends with a short hike (about 1 mile each way) that leads to an awesome overlook to the Na Pali cost more than 4000 feet below. Watch for helocopters coming into the valley, they appear to be the size of a small bird. That should give you an idea of the sheer magnitude of the valley.

We did not get to do any hiking along the Na Pali coast, though there are several well known landmarks along the way that can be turn around spots for your leasure. The entire length should probably be an overnight from what I have heard (the trail is the only land based routes to the beaches at the end.)

We also spent time on Maui and the Big Island. We did some hiking in Volcanos National Park. We did the trek across the new lava flows as well as some crater walking. If you choose to hike in this area you will definately want some good boots.

A strong challenge if you want some high peak experience and are on the Big Island there is an unofficial trail from the visitor center to the summit of Mauna Kea. This is a 4000 foot elevation gain. The high pointers web site covers the trail nicely.

For most of our hiking we were satisfied with our convertable pants (for an early morning start) and a lightweight rain coat (we have Marmot Precip series gear) in case a shower passes.

Finally, I HIGHLY (cannot stress this enough) RECOMMEND the "blue books" written by Andrew Doughty. I am not lookin to make a sales pitch, but these books will seriously make getting around much easier. The guide book for Kauai is titled "The Ultimate Kauai." There are books for each island. These books are written by residents of Hawaii and provide the most precise directions of any guidebook I have ever read. They do a very nice job with reviews of restaurants and hotels. I have a good tip on a place to stay in Kauai if you go there for a night or two (PM me if you want.)

Good luck, let us know what you accomplish.

As far as gear goes, from my experience on the Kalalau trail, you could do it in trail runners terrain-wise I think as a day hike, but some of the trails can be dusty if they're dry. Definitely bring some sun screen and perhaps a sunshade hat, as it is on the coast and exposed to the winds, not much tree cover in some sections so it can be hot.

I've been to the Na Pali viewpoint at Waimea Canyon, we camped there one night and that was one of our hikes there...

I had one of those helicopters hover above us about 100ft away when we were hiking the Kalalau trail. Very very annoying. I wish I had my Stinger... :eek:

Jay

Last edited:
The Kalalau trail that Jay is talking about is on the West coast of Kauai. The trail head is on the NW corner of the island at the end of the road. Yes, THE road. It is a lot more popular than it used to be, but the trail is still awesome. To go all the way out and back, it is really an overnight hike. You are supposed to get overnight permits but no one seems to get them. Actually if you hike past the 2 mile point (the first beach) you are supposed to have an overnight permit even if you are not staying overnight. Again, not too many people seem to get permits.

Some pix from the trail:

http://www.vftt.org/HI/061009-Kauai/pages/IMG_0031.htm

http://www.vftt.org/HI/061009-Kauai/pages/IMG_9968.htm

http://www.vftt.org/HI/061009-Kauai/pages/IMG_9977.htm

http://www.vftt.org/HI/061009-Kauai/pages/IMG_9988.htm

The trail can be fairly easy IF it is dry. That is a big IF. More than likely it will be wet. The red dirt in Hawaii is slippery when it is wet and muddy. I mean slippery. Like teflon has nothing on it. It will make the going very slow.

The center of Kauai is the wettest spot on the planet. Well, the wettest spot with a rain guage. Something crazy like over 400" of rain a year. Around the outside of the island it isnot that crazy, but you just need to expect showers to interupt your day every now and then. You dont need more than a light shell. If it is hot you might not even want to wear it. Put your camera in a zip lock bag or a dry bag though.

Waimea Canyon while only a few miles away as the crow flies is actually quite a long drive away. As the roads go, it is on the other side of the island. It is not like anything you will expect to see in Hawaii. It is the "grand canyon of the pacific".

http://www.vftt.org/HI/061009-Kauai/pages/IMG_9016.htm

http://www.vftt.org/HI/061009-Kauai/pages/IMG_9027.htm

http://www.vftt.org/HI/061009-Kauai/pages/IMG_9057.htm

I have an awesome shot of the view that enapai is talking about, but I can't find it. :(

If you do go out to Waimea Canyon, you might want to give yourself an extra day and then drive out to the end fo the road on the SW corner and go past the Navy's Pacific Missile Range Facility (PMRF). There is like a 6 mile dirt road that goes down to Polihale Beach. Bounce your rental car all the way down it to the beach. (don't tell them you did it though.) You can camp on the beach. Again, you are supposed to get a permit from the county, but no one does.

It is one of the most beautiful beaches in Hawaii. Most beaches in Hawaii are not this wide and there is NO sign of development.

http://www.vftt.org/HI/061009-Kauai/pages/IMG_9065.htm

IF you are there in March then most likely you will not be able to swim in the ocean. The N and W shores are very dangerous in winter. You need to be very careful even if it looks calm. The currents are very strong and huge waves can come up out of no where.

On Maui, you can drive up Haleakala and hike around the extinct volcano. It is cool, but Kauai is more diverse.

http://www.vftt.org/postcards/pix/hale.jpg

If you want to do crazy ridge hikes, then you need to go to Oahu and deal with the traffic. The hiking is very cool, but the traffic sucks. Oahu is not the "Hawaii" that you have in your head. Some parts are, but Honolulu is just a big city and there is a ton of people and terrible traffic. There are some awesome spots, but you need to know where to go. The ridge hiking is great though:

http://www.vftt.org/gallery/hi/pix/koolau-pan.jpg

If you go to the Big Island and hike out to the lava flows, 1) be careful, 2) bring very good boots, and 3) be careful. There are a thousand and one ways to die by hiking out to the lava flows. I am not kidding. Go to the ranger station and tell them what you want to do and talk to them for advice on how not to die. I have hiked out to the lava flows at night before. I will not do it again.

There is other hiking on the Big Island that is not death defying. I haven't done much of it though. Sometime over the next year I hope to hop back over to the Big island to do some more.

- darren

It looks like we are going to be flying into Maui and staying there a couple of days prior to heading over to the next island. I am trying to limit our travels to just the two islands on this trip. So if Maui is the place would a hike in and around the crater be the first choice and if so is there an alternative if I can get in two days of hiking?

Thanks

Another "kama'aina"

I've been out here for 3 years now, hiking way more than i ever have before. Consider me a resource, and if you are in Oahu in March, i can keep you posted on where we'll be hiking. markvotapek "at" netscape "dot" net

What gear you need is completely dependent on what part of what island you'll be hiking on. The one constant is a good, wide-brimmed hat and sunscreen. I just wilt out here with the tropical sun and humidity. I think Darren has filled you in on a lot already, but if you're trying to decide where to go, my take is that for numerous waterfalls go to Maui, for seeing the volcano go to the Big Island, for decent food and ridge hikes go to Oahu, and for the big backpack (Kalalau) go to Kauai. Which island depends on which "thing" is your priority. They all have great beaches and a little bit of everything, but i think those are each's specialty. Kalalau has been my favorite Hawaii experience so far, but i wouldn't bother with less than 3 days: one to hike there (it takes ALL day, really), one day there to explore the valley or the coast or the beach, and one day to hike back. 5 days would be ideal. It's a long drive up there to just do the day hike to the first falls...you can find comparable tropical waterfall dayhikes on all the islands. Maui may not be "old Hawaii" much anymore, but it still is the easiest to get around, and if you know where to go (those "Blue Books" really are great, as long as you don't trust their restaurant reviews) it's my favorite overall. On Oahu, i personally wouldn't bother with Diamond Head. You can get better views with no people from Koko Crater or one of the ridge hikes. Mariner's Ridge (see backyardoahu.com) is a pretty short and easy way to get non-hikers up on the ridge for views. Nice trail... I haven't been to Lanai, but a couple of friends i have who know it well say there isn't much amazing hiking there.

I type too slowly

Hunter you posted while i posted. For Maui, Haleakala is kinda cool, but it wouldn't be my first choice for 2 days on Maui. I'd book something (or ideally camp at Waianapanapa State Park, reservation required...way cool black volcanic beach area) near Hana, and do the Hana Highway loop, starting from the Kahalui airport, and going around the island clockwise. With the blue book guide, you can get away from the crowds, and if you have 2 days for it instead of one, you can do a lot of great waterfall hikes. The Blue Pool, and a couple of the waterfalls PAST The 7 Pools are great. There are several little 1-3 hour side hikes that are fun, and only .0001% of the people driving the road ever bother to do these hikes. Then on the second day if you want to do more substantial hiking, near the end of the loop, you can go up the Kaupo trail. That starts near the coast on the back, undeveloped end of the island, and climbs 7000' to the crater rim. It would be a huge day hike, but not impossible, and on the way up, especially in March, you have a good chance for a lot of waterfalls, a great valley, and super views out to the coast. Another bigger trail that i haven't done but is supposed to be the bomb is up the valley from Kipahulu, also around the "back end" of the 2-day loop. I'm not knocking the crater, but i've been up there twice, including hiking across the whole thing once, and it's just not the first place i'd go on the island. If you do go, bring a sweater. It's 30 degrees colder up there.

Also on Maui, the south/west side beaches are great and usually sunny (and windy), and the snorkeling around La Perouse Bay down there is fantastic, and easy for lousy swimmers like me. The blue book has the directions, and you have to follow them carefully...it's not marked with signs or anything down there...pretty isolated area. If you're looking to splurge on a dinner, Pacific'o in Lahaina is my favorite on probably all the islands.

Last edited:
part time part time

I'm not a real VFTTer...just an occasional poser. Er, poster. I lived the past two years in Kailua, but this year i'm leading the double life with another job in Arizona, so i'm just staying with my girlfriend in Honolulu when i'm on-island.

I'm gonna guess from the kayaking picture that you live somewhere on windward Oahu...how far off am i?