Hawthorne Falls on Saturday

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
I posted something over in Hike-NH already, but figured I'd come here to appeal to the masses.

I'm planning to bushwhack to Hawthorne Falls tomorrow. My typical hiking buddy bailed on me at the last minute, so I thought I'd ask the board to see if anyone is interested in coming along.

I've planned the route as best I can - I have the 1936 guidebook, and compared notes to the current trail mappings. On a 90 degree day, spending most of it hiking alongside a stream seems like a good idea... both for temp regulation and for water.

Anyway, I'm leaving Worcester between 5:30 and 6:00, aiming to be at the trailhead for 9:00 a.m. Hit me up if you are interested in bushwhacking with me tomorrow. I'm also willing to lend a ride if you live reasonably close to 93.

From the falls, I'm leaving options open. Perhaps a push to the ridge to incorporate Garfield, or loop back to the Gale River Trail via the hut. Maybe visit Flat Top via the slide. Basically, whatever is felt like being accomplished after the falls.

Any takers?

Cheers,
Jamie

If you're getting up early tomorrow this may come to you too late...I've done the route you're considering. It starts out pretty nice, but closer you get to the falls the more the terrain becomes nasty. Area around the falls is steep very mossy and big chunks of ledge calving off. Lots of big holes covered with moss. Big spruce blow-downs at all angles make it hard to tell which way is up. I did it solo too. Not sort of place to break an ankle in a hole. I decided to get the heck out of there and come back some other time with partners. My next bright idea was to head for Garfield Ridge. GPS told me it was only 1 mile. How bad can it be? Blow-downs and uneven terrain with holes continued for most of the way. It took me 2 hours to cover that 1 mile. I still made it to Garfield, but it was one long day. Good luck! Forget about going to the ridge. They closed that trail down because it must have been pita to maintain.

Last edited: