Haystack #46 10/21/2005

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADK Rick

Reaction score
Avon Connecticut Avatar: #46! Haystack summit
**Revisited this thread today 4/9/08 and found all the pic links broken so I fixed them...thanks webshots! :mad:**
All you have to do is look at my avatar to know how I feel. I know that it has taken some people longer, but 32 years is plenty long for me. On Friday at 12:15 pm I summited Haystack #46. Indulge me a couple of paragraphs of personal history and then you can get the actual trip report :) .

First peak Phelps, age 10, October 1973. Was hooked from that moment. I remember vividly the fall colors, my grandfather telling my uncle, "Here's where we lose Rick" as we turned off the Van Hoevenburg trail, and my uncle's confidence in me. I also remember riding down Route 73 in the back of my Uncle's El Camino, holy cow was it cold but I insisted.

My uncle (Ronald Hartman, 46r #1387)taught me to love these mountains as he did. He led me up some tough ones when I was 13, we did the Santanonis and Allen that summer. The Santanonis was my first overnight camping trip. I was in awe of his outdoor skills, and I remember not thinking about dinner until right before it was time to eat. Suddenly I was petrified...what would we eat? Roots? Would we have to kill something? Imagine the delight of this 13 year old when he pulled out a can of Spaghetti-Ohs from his Adirondack pack basket. I still think of him whenever I see that red can at the market. My Uncle Ron passed away 3 years ago, much too young. I dedicated my first time around the 46 to him. I must say that I owe a lot to a lot of other people, too. I climbed 14 mountains this season, and it was only because of the indulgence and patience of a few other people that I was able to do so. So thanks to MDC, JPH, and BPO from my work who covered for me, and also thanks to my wife Ruth, without whose indulgence this event would never have taken place.

So why did it take me so long to finish my 46 if I love these mountains so much? Well, I was at 22 by the time I finished college, but I moved to NC for 5 years. Then it was Rochester NY for another 5 years during which I increased my total to 31. Then came a wife, a baby, and a 10-year period of hideous inattentiveness to my body, and January of this year found me at 32 peaks and 35 pounds overweight with a doctor issuing grave warnings about cholesterol and BP. Long story short, I found inspiration, and with the help of friends and family I got it together...June 2 I survived a solo trek of LWJ, UWJ, and Armstrong. And that got the ball rolling.

So on with the trip report, thanks for your patience with the above. All of the pictures are **HERE**. For this trip I had a team! My co-worker Brian (himself a major weight loser this summer) joined me, along with Kay and Arnie from Burlington. I had met Kay when I did Basin & Saddleback 9/30. We stayed at the Hostel and gathered at the Garden at 6:00 in the frosty dark. Outside temp 28. This was my first experience hiking with headlamps. We walked for an hour before the sun was sufficient to turn off the lamps. What a beautiful day. The ice above 3500 feet was fairly treacherous in many places. I had stabilicers in the pack and they would have helped in places but I resisted putting them on. We made slower time than I had planned due to the ice but we summitted at 12:15. What a feeling. I looked out at all the other peaks that had come before this one, and thought mostly about all the people I had shared them with. This is why we climb. And I was very thankful for those that braved the cold but beautiful day with me...you guys were great!

I wont go on too much about the route, conditions, etc. It was cold and icy but beautiful. The trail was wet (when aren't they). It was just a great day, a day 32 years in the making. We had a bonus at JBL, a nice wildlife encounter that helped put the day in perspective. We made it back to the Garden at 6:15 just as it was getting dark. Brian got his Diet Pepsi that he had been talking about since JBL. Kay and Arnie presented me with a bottle of champagne which they wisely chose not to lug up to the summit. We took a group photo and parted ways, me with 4.5 hours of driving ahead.

So what's next? Hopefully my 11 year old daughter will get the bug and I can go round with her starting next summer. I would also like to do some trail work (speaking of those I owe thanks to). Maybe some hiking in the Whites. And I'd like to meet more of you all, too!

Walk softly people, enjoy these woods and mountains whether you check peaks off lists or not, and remember those in our lives that make it possible for us to indulge ourselves. Peace.

ADK Rick

Last edited:
Congratulations Rick. I was thinking of you on friday, thinking about how you had such great weather. Thanks for sharing the pics from your early 46er career. It looks like you were having a blast.

-percious

Congrats on gettin' Haystack for your 46th!!! That was one of my favorite peaks. Looks like you had a beautiful day for the hike. Those old school pics were pretty cool to see as well :cool:

What a wonderful trip report and I enjoyed the early photos~ How wonderful for you to be able to share your early love of the mountains and pass it on to your daughter!!
kmac

Sweet report and love that Phelps photo. I wish I had some shots from my early 1970's climbs. Always fun to have shared a distant summit with another soloer on the same day, like passing a baton mid-trail. I hope to see you post a Phelps photo of your daughter next summer!

Wonderful report and beautiful photos, Rick. Congratulations on your achievement! :cool:

Way to go, Rick! :)

Spent my entire lunch reading your TR and checking out the photos. I especially like the pic of you with the dedication to your Uncle. Nicely done. And Panther Gorge looks amazing from Haystack ......

Congrats!!

Congrats

Way to go! :) I really appreciate this trip report as we are contemplating the same trip in 2 weeks.

Wow, thanks for the kind words everyone, this is really great.

Doc...I dragged my daughter as far as Marcy Dam once this summer, hopefully will have better luck next year. Ironically, she was furious with me and wouldn't speak to me the night I left for Haystack because she "wanted to be with me when I finished". Nice sentiment, but we compromised....I wasn't allowed to celebrate until she can be with me. We'll see... :)

Dory - Take your crampons, and maybe skis/snowshoes. Check the weather, looks like I picked the last possible moment for non-winter hiking!

Thanks to all again, hope to see you on the trails.

ADK Rick

Well Done!

Congratulations yet again. I am going to leave Haystack for my 46th too.
I was looking over Panther Gorge from Marcy on Saturday thinking what a great peak to finish on. I'm hoping it won't take quite as long.... I'm up to 23 years now with 12 more to do.

Nice report/pics/story. Many happy returns! Like you, I climbed my first High Peak at a young age, but took forever to get "serious" about hiking. Those 70s vintage photos are something else-the football jersey on Allen is a classic! :D

Matt

Congratulations Rick! I really enjoyed the report and photos. Unfortunately, I have no photos of my first 20 or so peaks. Just didn't own a camera and it was before the days of disposables. I finished this summer after only 25 years (kids, jobs, distance - I know where you're coming from). My 13-year old daughter is my favorite hiking partner - she's now up to 16 high peaks and I hope to do a lot more with her over the years. Its a really special thing we share and I hope you can do the same with your daughter. Get that paperwork in and we'll see you next Memorial Day. Karen

Congrats! Awesome pix from the 70's. I did my first 4k when I was 10 in 1979. I wish I had some pix from that trip. I will have to ask my sister to see if she has some pix stuck in a shoebox somewhere.

Thanks again for posting the classic photos.

- darren

darren said:
I did my first 4k when I was 10 in 1979. - darren

I did my first 4K when I was [cough] in 1979.

Rick - nice job. I thought I would finish on Iroquois but then Haystack was the target like yours, but alas, it will be Marshall within the century -- six years and I can match your 32!!

I don't know if many know how serious you/we were about hiking in jeans. Cotton was all we knew if you didn't wear wool. (I don't think there was anything else??) The pix were probably taken on an Instamatic style camera!
Excellent!!

Congrats on the accomplishment, perseverance and love for you uncle!!

Now, about that daughter... don't let her get any older or you could loose her. Mine has no idea why I would like her to get there. Very athletic, but just not about to go out trampsing in the woods. She did ADK Owls Head when she was 7 and has been on the trail many times. It just never stuck.

I really enjoyed reading your trip report and memories from trips past. Your uncle sounds like a great guy!

My first 46er was East Dix and I did not summit until 2004 and I was 27. Right now I only have 11, but I'm working on it. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Adam - sorry we never got together but my schedule was almost always last minute. The only advantage to this is that I always had spectacular weather, well maybe except for Cliff, but then again Cliff is a mountain that begs to be climbed in less than perfect weather :)

Regarding pictures...I am fortunate to have some old photos, but there are plenty more that I *wish* I had. A few trips taken with other people when they were the designated photographer and I never got copies. Worst of all, an epic trip when I was in High School to do Colden, Skylight, Marcy and Gray on a few picture perfect August days in 1980 where I lost my camera somewhere on Gray. I am sure the days were made even more spectacular in my memory by the lack of pictures!

And yes, I am already working on my daughter for next year, and now my wife is making some noise about getting out next summer. Maybe they both can add to their total of 1 (Cascade of course), but more importantly add to their lives the experiences and people of the High Peaks.

ADK Rick

Hi Rick!
Cogratulations on a fine finish and a great voyage. I'm always looking for partners and am working on the 46-W and the ADK hundred so perhaps we can join forces in the near future.
After reading your report I got to thinking that Haystack would be great choice to finish on.