Hell Brook Trail on Mansfield

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

askus3

Reaction score
Warwick, NY ( 3 miles by crow from Wildcat Shelter
I was plotting out a circular hike and was considering descending this trail back to my car. The Long Trail Guide states "Descending the trail is not recommended.". How bad is this trail? Can somebody compare it to any trail in the Whites? Looking at the map in the Long Trail Guide it appears that it goes down about 1700 feet in 0.9 miles and that is wicked. Any attempts, reports or photos that I can read or view on the descent of this trail would be appreciated.

Just to save asking I am doing the Long Trail southbound, so I really would like to descend rather than go up this route. If the weather is bad or I get strong vibes from responders to this thread, I definitely will retrace my steps on the LT, but I'd rather not.

It's been about 15 years since I climbed up that way, and I don't know if they have done anything to stabilize it, but back then I remember trying to grab onto handfuls of vegetation that were tearing off the ledge underneath. Pat mentioned that the trail must hardly ever be used because it would be a mess with even light traffic.

The only trail I've climbed that was similar was the old herd path on Cliff before it got all eroded and nasty. Love them both, but there are better ways to descend.

Hell Brook Trail is supposedly the steepest in VT these days. I have gone up it which on a dry weather day is a ton of fun...a real scramble and even better if you include the Cliff Trail and then over to Haselton ski trail then into the woods on the Haselton Trail. A little bit of a road walk on 108 to get back to Hell Brook TH. I would not suggest using it as a descent route. Not that it isn't possible, but it just wouldn't be fun and the Hell Brook trail deserves to be fun! The loop I describe was about a 6 mile loop and book time is something like 5-6 hours. Have Fun.

My old TR here

I did it this past weekend and on numerous occasions thought to myself that I wouldn't want to come down it. There were a lot of slabby sections that were wet. A couple of them were a nightmare going up... no way I would have wanted to go down. In my opinion, the Hell Brook Trail is aptly named...

I did the loop that Toe Cozy described... it was a lot of fun!

Last edited:
I would pile on with the suggestion to ascend Hell Brook and descend LT (if you are bent on doing the LT portion). Fun trail going up, but it would be a pain to descend.

I ascended the Long Trail from Route 108 on Sunday and descended back down to smuggler's notch via the Hellbrook Trail. The trail was extremely wet, and water was flowing pretty much straight down the trail the whole way. It was pretty dangerous going down due to the fact that the trail is pretty narrow and has lots of wet slabbly sharp rocks and roots that go straight down in sections. Definitely not a trail that i would wish to descend again. That being said, there are tougher descents and steeper descents in the east but this was a bit tricky just b/c the rocks were so wet and the trail was pretty funky.

Parallel route on Mansfield

I definitely want to hike the LT southbound. So it sounds like the Hell Brook Trail is a wet treacherous route of descent. So although by using the Hell Brook Trail would provide an alternate return route making a complete circular the cons appear to outweigh the pros in this case. So LT both ways from Taft Lodge to VT 108 is the most likely way I should go. Does the Hell Brook Trail provide spectacular views or incredible ledge hiking that would make the trail a must to traverse? I don't want to miss out on using a trail that is worthy of following. But it sounds like a descent through Hell and at the end of a hike when I would be tired, I just don't know that I really want to visit Hell.

Another question that intrigues me (especially after reading Toe Cozy's trip report) is that you really gave me a good soft sell on using the Cliff Trail back from the Nose. If given a choice for a return route from the Nose, which route of descent would you use (I am set on ascending via Long Trail)?
(A) Haselton Trail
(B) Lakeview/Canyon/Subway/Profanity/LT or Hell Brook
(C) Cliff/Profanity/LT or Hell Brook

Isn't it great to have choices of such incredible diversity and be in a win/win situation?

Last edited:
I thought the Hell Brook Trail was steep but no real dangerous part. I don't remember any views but it's a must hike just to see the best Vermont has to offer.

grog

I have descended via the Hell Brook trail. It is steep. If wet it would be more tricky, but I did not find it too difficult. Its time consuming with a lot of brief blocky slab sections, but nothing too terribly trecherous and there is virtually no exposure/views. I'd compare it to descending Monroe or Washington via the Ammo Ravine in its more steep sections. Thats the closest thing that comes to mind in the Whites for me. There are many descents in the ADK's that are tougher or on par than this IMO.

-Dom

Last edited:
Aaron -

Is there a particular reason you want to descend Mansfield on the Stowe side? Personally, I try to avoid that tourist mecca, and use the Underhill side (Frost-Maple-Wampahoofus-LT-Sunset Ridge loop) as the views are much better, and you avoid the crowds, at least until you're on the ridge.

There's a good reason the Hell Brook and Profanity trails have those names, and it wasn't by chance or they ran out of names ...

LT - Southbound

This is in response to Kevin Rooney but others feel free to chirp in. I am working on doing the Long Trail southbound as a series of dayhikes. So this is the game plan for Mansfield area: From Smugglers Notch, follow the LT to The Nose. Then return to our car via some type of circular or lollipop type hike thus the question and thread and revised question in post #7. (still hoping for responses) Then the next day I will be parking at Stevensville Road, following Butler Lodge/Wampahoofus/Frost/LT to where we left off at the Nose, follow the LT south to Taylor Lodge and then retrace via Clara Bow/LT & Nebraska Notch. Then the following day, we will hike from Lake Mansfield south to Bolton Notch Road doing a car shuttle. So basically I am doing hikes from both sides of the mountain. So from the responses so far, I kind of accepted that descending the Hell Brook Trail is not such a good idea but whether I should see the Cliff VS Lakeview/Canyon/Subway VS Hasselton are my choices and was hoping for feedback. The next two hikes are set.

Thanks, Aaron. I don't know how far south you've made it on the LT, but if this will help - I've gone in by the Trout Club (south of Nebraska Notch) and hiked to Mansfield and back a couple of times. It's quite doable as a dayhike, and beautiful. You do encounter the throngs in good weather once you come around the Chin between there and Forehead, but it becomes part of the experience. You'll have solitude once again on the return once beyond the Wampahoofus.

Since if I park at the trout club (Lake Mansfield), I have to go back out the same way or do a shuttle, I figured I'd use that as my access for the last day from there to Byron Notch. Yes, I know that is a tremendous car shuttle, but that still leaves the descent route I am going to use for the day from Smugglers Notch in question. Also, the day I follow the LT from The Nose to Taylor Lodge, my approach to Mansfield from the south, by approaching from Stevensville Road, I can do a complete circular without much retrace of steps.

Last edited:
This thread is going to get buried and I am quite surprised that I have yet to get an answer. Maybe in post #1 I should have asked "what is a good return route from The Nose to Smuggler Notch without using the Long Trail?". Anyway, although I did get my original question answered (I have pretty much accepted not to descend via Hell Brook), this is the first time I have not had my rephrased question answered, so please reread post #7 and give me your thoughts. I am anxiously awaiting your responses. VFTTers don't let me down as I can't believe more of you have not explored the trails of Mt. Mansfield!

If you like the views from the ridge...and they're wonderful....you can double th views by walking back along the ridge from the Nose, then take the cliff trail to the top of the Gondola, then walk down a ski trail, in the open amidst flowers, with views all the way..and you end up close to your car.

askus3 said:
This thread is going to get buried and I am quite surprised that I have yet to get an answer. Maybe in post #1 I should have asked "what is a good return route from The Nose to Smuggler Notch without using the Long Trail?". Anyway, although I did get my original question answered (I have pretty much accepted not to descend via Hell Brook), this is the first time I have not had my rephrased question answered, so please reread post #7 and give me your thoughts. I am anxiously awaiting your responses. VFTTers don't let me down as I can't believe more of you have not explored the trails of Mt. Mansfield!

I think at least two people (myself included) did offer the suggestion of doing the Cliff trail to the ski trail (Nose Dive) and then down the Haselton Trail. See my post #3 and if you want more of a hard sell for that route then read my trip report that I linked to in that post. I hope you're not going this weekend, it looks like less than ideal weather for those trails. Good luck. Just pick a loop and you can't go wrong! Have fun.

AAron, are you going into the mountains to be a mountain man or an accountant? Have some fun and do the Hell Brook Trail.

grog

oops, allergies making me stupid

Hey Aaron,

I forgot that you are doing sections of the LT and that loop I suggested does not allow you to do the LT from Smuggs to Mansfield. Sorry. Too bad 'cause it's a super hike! Sorry for my stupid foggy headed answer. Given the choices you have in post 7, I'd choose B because I've never been on some of those trails and it would be a fun adventure, weather permitting. Otherwise, go with the LT to the Chin to the ski trail to Haselton....that would be the wet weather option I guess.

The traverse from the LT to the nose to the Haselton is a cool loop. when you get to the nose follow the road down a little bit and go left on the ski trail (somewhat steep) keep a sharp eye out for the Haselton trail on the left, there should be a tiny wooden sign. The views are good and the trail is a pleasant hike. The Hellbrook would require a good amount of face-to-the rock downclimbing mixed with a little routefinding and would not be good if there is any chance of wettness! Plus it is a trail that should be first experienced in the upward direction because that climbing is what makes it my absolute favorite trail in vermont to date.

If you have a chance hike up to the adams apple, the views of the summit are really great!!!!

the subway is a good option when dry but the LT between the chin and nose have more views, I have not taken the cliff trail.
Ralph

"good amount of face-to-the rock downclimbing mixed with a little routefinding " that's what makes it fun. :D :) Mama told me never to look into the eye of the sun - but mama that's where the fun is!!!!

grog

Last edited: