Help: A Good Hike in the Poconos

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HighHorse

Reaction score
I'm headed to the Poconos in about a month's time for a few days with the in-laws. If I don't get outside for a dedcent hike and some exercise, I am sure I will implode. Can anyone recommend a decent hike in the Poconos area? I'm normally into strenuous "pushing limits"-type hikes, but here I'm looking for something medium-short with good views. Thanks very much for the help.

A few ideas

HIgh horse: I hear you on the "imploding" part. The haze this time of year can make good views from anyplace tough, but a couple medium-short favorites are around the Delaware Water Gap: Mt Tammany on the NJ side and a similar "peak" on the PA side, both just off the AT. The Delaware Water Gap hiking trails book is good for these. Sunfish Pond in NJ on the AT (near but not in the poconos) is also real nice. Farther northwest, Tobyhanna SP has some good hikes, but not to peaks. A bit farther south and west is Lehigh Gap, where the AT does a spectacular down-and-up with some good climbing. And there's always High Point in NJ, though the road makes it a bit of a drag. Have fun.
Weatherman

One of my favorite hikes in the Poconos, or anywhere for that matter, is in Ricketts Glen State Park. There is one basic hike that you can take following a stream up past numerous waterfalls, cascades through a sort of mini gorge. Some slippery rocks and a minor bit of scambling, but nothing tough. And at the top you can go back down or take a different trail looping back to the start. A very beautiful hike.

Haven't been there in years, but when we used to visit the Poconos regularly, we always visited two places:

PEEC : Not challenging, but beautiful hiking trails.

Hickory Run State Park : Rock-hopper's paradise.

Steve

thanks very much for the replies thus far. your offerings have given me good leads that i am in the process of investigating.

Hickory Run State Park is close by in the Poconos. Most of the trails in it are relatively flat, except for the ones running down to the Lehigh River. There is an interesting boulder field which you can actually drive to and then explore the rocks. Hickory Run is the largest state park in Pa. Big Pocono State Park is not far from Tobyhanna. Camelback ski area uses a side of the mountain. I think they run Alpine slides in the summer if you are so inclined. You drive to the top and can hike from there. There is a nice trail that encircles the top and affords some great views. Then there are a couple trails that lead down and back up. You get views of Delaware Water Gap and Lehigh Water Gap from the top. Promised Land State Park is another in the area but it is relatively flat also. Has a couple lakes to canoe on. Most places in the Poconos are really on a plateau and don't afford really good views out. Thunderswamp Trail runs thru Delaware State Forest in the area also but it is also basically flat. Heading south out of the Delaware Water Gap the AT climbs up Mt Minsi and affords some nice views of the Gap below and Jersey acrosss the river. I believe that Peec(Pocono Envirnomental Education Center) is up here. The Jersey side of the AT above the Gap is supposed to be nice but I have never gone up there. But there ought to be good views from there. You can get info on the state parks in Pa by going to www.dcnr.state.pa.us
They have a map for each park that they will send you free if you inquire or you can call 1 888 pa parks and ask for info. The Pa or NJ AT guide books wil l have info on Mt Minsi in Pa and Kittatinny in NJ.
Another idea would be to abandon hiking and rent a canoe and float thru the Delaware Water Gap which would make for a great day and surely a lot cooler. Plenty of outfitters in the area to dump ya in and pluck you out at the other end. I wouldn't do that on a weekend though as it really gets crowded. It is an easy but really scenic canoe trip. No rapids to speak of in the Water Gap though. Have fun.

Lovetohike said:
One of my favorite hikes in the Poconos, or anywhere for that matter, is in Ricketts Glen State Park.

Agreed, click - here - for more info and directions.

DWG is very nice, too. Just lots of people, especially weekends.

There are a ton of places to hike. You can hit the Delaware Water Gap, Promised Land, Delaware SF plus the many State Game lands. It all depends on where in the Poconos? A great hike in the Delaware Water gap PA side is the conashough trail. It is a 13 mile figure 8 type hike. You get a little of everything from good climbs, views, ravies fields. Everytime I hike this I never see anyone. It is actually a horseback riding trail but I have never seen horses. It makes for a great hike. Another great spot is PEEC. Also located in the gap on the PA side. Promised land you can hike the Bruce lake natral area or backpack the Thunder swamp trail in the Delaware SF. You have plenty of options.

All of the ideas mentioned so far are good ones. I used to live in the Poconos and have hiked up Mt. Tammany on the NJ side of the Gap. Not a hard hike at all, but it does have some nice views of the gap. You can continue on to Sunfish Pond for a longer hike.