Help with Scarpa T-Series Boots

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
Avatar-Keaton (4) & Dad enjoying the snow on Wachu
I am looking for some bootfitting help from anyone (especially from Dave Metsky or Dave.M) that has made the switch from leather to plastic.
I picked up a pair of Men's size 11.5(UK), 12.5(US) T-4's on sale online, they were a "last ones" deal and the price was very low. I am interested in them for touring morethan anything else

I am normally a size 11.5(US) but have wide feet as well as longer feet with shorter toes (OK, everybody can laugh...). When I measure absolute length via a Brannock Device, I come to 11.5. When I measure length via the the the arch, I am a size 12.
Brannock

I am going to stop at REI after Christmas and try other sizes, but I was wondering if the boots feel comfortable and I can bend them without pinching my toes (the bellow furthest from the front of the boot seems to line up with my toes), is this a normal fit?
When I put just my foot in the boot without the liner, I have about 2 1/4 fingers of room behind the heel. otherwise, when wearing the liner and foot in the boot they feel pretty good (and more comfortable than my old koflachs)

Based on others experiences (especially anyone withwide feet) how did your boots fit and did your expectations on the fit change after wearing them for a while? Any bits of wisdom regarding where your arch should be compared to the location of the bellows?

Thanks - I appreciate any and all advice
Rick

BTW, FWIW, I enjoy the fact that this is a low price and if the boots fit, Awesome. If not, I am not even going to entertain the thought of keeping them and brutalizing my feet to save a few bucks.

Last edited:
Scarpas

I do not have unusual feet so my advice may be of no use, but when I bought my t-3s they hurt so much to even ski lift served was doubtful. Now they are my favorite boot. I hike in them all the time ski ice climb :eek: . It might just take a little time. Where did you find them cheap?

Lorax

I just picked up a pair of Garmont Excursion from the discount rack at REI Reading, it was the last pair in the store. They no longer carry the Excursion or the T3/4. I think they just carry the bigger Garmonts and Scarpas now.

The liners of the boots will "pack out" over time, giving you a little more room in the boots at the expense of a really tight fit for skiing hard on steeps or bumps. Neither the T4 nor the Excursions are really a telemark boot, they are mainly touring boots that are warmer, more waterproof, and somewhat stiffer, so comfort is much more import than tight fit.

I can't wear Scarpas, they don't fit my feet. But the Excursions are nicely tight. With fairly thin socks (plastic boots are warmer than leathers) they will be fine, especially once they pack out a bit. If you can wear them for a while without pain or discomfort, and you can bend the bellows without feeling a pinch on the top of your boot or pain in your shins I think you'll be OK.

-dave-

1) Strongly concur with the advice of seeking advice on the boards at telemarktips.com. In particular, seek advice from Eric O. or Dana and don't be shy about putting their names in the subject line.

2) I'm only on my first pair of plastics and I don't shop properly so I'm a lousy person to give advice on this. My understanding is that the important fit is to get the ball of the foot to be at the bellows, regardless of toe length.

3) Tele boot fit falls somewhere between 2 extremes. On the one hand, hiking boots should never let your boots hit the end of the boot when you are hiking down hill. On the other, alpine ski boots are generally the right length when your toes just brush the end of the boot when the boot is flexed (and are jammed when standing up). You will need your boots to be more hikable or give you more control. Beware in seeking advice from lift oriented skiers (like on telemarktips.com) who will steer you to a tighter, more alpine fit. I wear a size 13.5 hiking boot but my lift oriented T1s are size 12 (no idea if this is US or English, sorry). I would not get T4s in this size as it is too short to down hike in.

4) As others have mentioned, boot liners pack out from 1/2 to 1 full size. Volume is more of an issue than length. You may want to investigate after market thermo-formable liners for the T4s, provided the bellows break at the right place for your ball of the foot. They will be warmer and lighter, to boot (ahem).

Hope this helps,

I have Scarpas, but they are all leather. Very stiff and warm, I love them.
Haven't tried plastics yet.

Thanks for all the input. I picekd up the pair at Mountaingear.com for $180 on closeout. (I got my koflachs from them in 96 also on a great deal, but that was a whole different story).

I did get to a ski shop whil visitng family up here in Rochester, NY adn tried on some Scarpas 10.5 UK, 11.5 US. What a horrible crunch my toes were in. The length seemed OK, but I clipped the lower buckle on and imediately felt my feet start to tingle. I Felt almost crippled at the front of the boot, thought I had heel lift slightly in the back.

I started to realize that maybe I really need the larger boot and perhaps can put some foam trim in to help.

I am also very impressed with telemarktips.com What a great website.

Thanks for the input everyone. When I get back to Mass, I am going to walk around the house a bit more in the boots and make a final decision. I have to think about the liner packing out.
Thanks
Rick