Hermit Lake/Crag Camp/Appalachia

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mac

Reaction score
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia - Avatar: Lion Head trail
Tuesday PM in Halifax, decided that forecasts had improved enough to do the 10 hour drive to Pinkham Notch. Left Nova Scotia at 4AM Wednesday arriving around 2PM in Gorham/Berlin where I stocked up at Shaws. Checked forecast and climbed to Hermit Lake where I noticed a familiar face (Brian, from work, with his kids). Spent the night in a shelter and was joined by two hikers from Pennsylvania. My target for tomorrow was Crag Camp.

Slept well. After checking the weather forecast, left early to avoid forecasted afternoon T-storms. Chose Lion Head, as I had never climbed that route. It was spectacular, with good visibility and excellent views. :D I reached the summit before 9 AM, snacked, refilled my water, re-checked the forecast and continued North.

Gulfside trail was also new to me (at least as far as Jefferson). I encountered a number of hikers, including one gent who pointed out some adjustments to my (new) pack that greatly improved my comfort level (Thanx). :) Visibility from the ridge ranged from unlimited to zero, as the clouds rose and fell. Footing was mostly dry until Edmands Col, where I chose the Israel Ridge Trail/Gray Knob Trail route, and encountered some wet sections. I bypassed the Clay and Jefferson summits, as I was still concerned about the forecasted T-storms. I found the last two miles to be tiring (& my feet were a bit sore). I chatted with the caretaker at Gray Knob and made my way to Crag Camp where I spent an enjoyable evening with a father & son from MA, an uncle & nephew from VT and a group of 4 from Quebec (who had various adventures while preparing supper).

On Friday, descended Spur/Randolph/Short Line, arriving at Appalachia around 10:30. Caught a ride back to my car and decided to do the touristy thing for a couple of hours. The Wildcat Gondola was my first stop, and allowed me to view almost my entire route from the other side of the valley. I then took the shuttle to the top of MW. The tour guide was entertaining and knowledgeable, and visibility was 60-70 miles.

Made it to Bangor that night, and then home by mid-afternoon Saturday. I guess the weather changed for the worse, from what I've read. All in all, an enjoyable hike. Next year, Hermit Lake, then the southern Presis. :D

sounds like a busy weekend!
10 hour drive! yikes.
i wont complain about 2.5 hour drive to the whites anymore.