Hey, Somebody Get This Owl Off My Back! - Owl's Head - 5-12-12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtruman

Reaction score
I've been dreading this hike since the day that we decided that we were going to finish the 48 (and for a while it was the reason that I knew we'd never finish). Once again, the mountains hold great surprises. What a fantastic day we had! Great people to hike with, a bit of every condition that you could hope to find in a day and to top it off, seeing Geneva get her 48 finish! Thanks to Kim, Hui Yeng, Christine, Owen, Steve-o and most of all Geneva for making our 37th peak the most memorable one yet!

There's so much story to be told - it's all here (and perhaps a bit more):

http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/2012/05/hey-somebody-get-this-owl-off-my-back.html

One reflection of the day...

IMG_2785.JPG

I've been dreading this hike since the day that we decided that we were going to finish the 48 (and for a while it was the reason that I knew we'd never finish). Once again, the mountains hold great surprises. What a fantastic day we had! Great people to hike with, a bit of every condition that you could hope to find in a day and to top it off, seeing Geneva get her 48 finish! Thanks to Kim, Hui Yeng, Christine, Owen, Steve-o and most of all Geneva for making our 37th peak the most memorable one yet!
Nice TR and great pics! Now that wasn't so bad, was it?! :D

Awesome-awesome trip report and pics!! I had the same thoughts about Owl's Head going into my first time hiking it but now love it. If you go back to it and the water levels are low the non bushwhack approach is a great hike as well!

-Chris

Mark, I'm glad we were able to turn a potentially onerous task into an awesome adventure. Your report is thorough and a great account of the day. Great pictures to accompany the text! Congratulations to you and Natalie on #37.
I was so confused for a minute...you had me googling pictures of "grouse eggs" and everything ;)

Hope we can get together again soon.

Mark

That was the best set of pictures I've seen of an Owl's Head hike.
I enjoyed the whole trip. Nice.

Nice TR and great pics! Now that wasn't so bad, was it?! :D

Thanks Tom. You're right - it wasn't bad at all. BTW - when we finish our 48 list my wife has informed me that the next lists we need to work on are Views & Brews :D

Awesome-awesome trip report and pics!! I had the same thoughts about Owl's Head going into my first time hiking it but now love it. If you go back to it and the water levels are low the non bushwhack approach is a great hike as well!

Thanks Chris. Definitely want to get back and get the rest of the Lincoln Brook and Franconia Brook trails when the water is down. Maybe an overnight at 13 Falls

Mark, I'm glad we were able to turn a potentially onerous task into an awesome adventure. Your report is thorough and a great account of the day. Great pictures to accompany the text! Congratulations to you and Natalie on #37. I was so confused for a minute...you had me googling pictures of "grouse eggs" and everything ;) Hope we can get together again soon.

Thanks Owen. Definitely glad you were along for this one. What a great group! So why were you Googling grouse eggs? Did you not find any pictures of Ground Owl eggs? :rolleyes:
We definitely need to do another one soon.

That was the best set of pictures I've seen of an Owl's Head hike.
I enjoyed the whole trip. Nice.

Thanks for the kind words Billy. I had almost as much fun writing this one up and going through the pictures as we did on the hike. Almost... :)

nice job Mark, Natt and the crew..especially congrats to Geneva!!!

Thanks Mark. Looking forward to getting out on the trail with you again soon.

Mark - I enjoyed your story almost as much as I enjoyed the hike. You had me wondering as well about the eggs - I caught on a little later in the story though :rolleyes:

32 degrees...no wonder why we didn't want to leave our sleeping bags - sorry we were a little late.

Going out to Owl's Head or any other long hike is much less intimidating when you don't feel the pressure of getting to the summit. At that point, it's just an adventure with friends filled with fun and laughter.

Congrats to you, Nat and Owen for getting the Owl off your backs and to Geneva for for finishing her 48. Thanks again for the cold beer - it was much appreciated at the end of the hike!!

I hope we get to share trails with you again real soon.

Mark,
I've always imaged Owl's Head as a "just do it and get it over with hike" but after reading your report and seeing the photos, I've had a change of heart. It's a long trek and the slide looks a bit difficult but it's all in what you make the hike. Congrats again to you and Nat on an excellent job.

Donna:)

Mark - I enjoyed your story almost as much as I enjoyed the hike. You had me wondering as well about the eggs - I caught on a little later in the story though :rolleyes:

Thanks Kim. There wouldn't have been any story to write without you. If you hadn't invited us along who knows how much longer I would have been dreading this hike and finding excuses to put it off. The group was perfect and you're so right about it being "an adventure with friends filled with fun and laughter"!

As for the eggs, I think I still have a few people doing research on Ground Owl mating and nesting habits. :rolleyes:

We're looking forward to being back on the trail with you guys too!

I've always imaged Owl's Head as a "just do it and get it over with hike" but after reading your report and seeing the photos, I've had a change of heart. It's a long trek and the slide looks a bit difficult but it's all in what you make the hike. Congrats again to you and Nat on an excellent job.

If I've managed to make the Owl into less of an Albatross for at least one person then my work is done here. ;) Perhaps we'll be part of your Owl's Head adventure. Just don't make it TOO soon.

Nice job gettin' 'er done! And congrats to Geneva, good girl!

Thanks Kevin. Geneva is indeed a very good girl! So many awesome trail doggies out there!

Hi Mark, it was very nice to meet you and Natalie. What a gorgeous day to be on the slide. Great report and awesome pictures!!

Great report Mark !
Nice hiking with you and Nat !

Same here Steve-o - we really enjoyed the company. And of course the gift of Mr Sqeaky Monkey was the highlight of the day.

Hi Mark, it was very nice to meet you and Natalie. What a gorgeous day to be on the slide. Great report and awesome pictures!!

Great to meet you too HuiYeng! Your pictures were fantastic! Enjoyed seeing the hike from another point of view.

Look forward to getting back out on the trail with you guys again soon