High Peaks conditions in mid-April

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audrey

Reaction score
Of course I know from experience that every year varies, and April especially so, but what are the chances of having good conditions for skiing into Avalanche Pass in mid-April?

We'll be in Lake Placid for a week and I'm eagerly considering the options.

Well, I'm not a skiier, but I'd say it's a possibility. You may have to carry your skis into Marcy Dam and then be able to ski from there. Of course, there's also the possibility of coming in from South Meadows. That trail see less use so maybe the snow will stick around longer there. Here's a good website (if you're not already aware of it) that gets update often and will keep updating as long as there is skiable snow. Backcountry conditions at the bottom.

http://lakeplacid.com/flash/whattodo/z-xcountry.htm

Thanks for the link, ADKdremn.
I'll keep fingers crossed for a late season snowfall like we had 6 years ago or so. I've skied the area from both ends multiple times but for some reason I can't get tired of it.
If anyone's nearby between 4/10 and 4/16, let me know and come by the condo for a drink. We'll be right in the middle of town.

Better chance than usual

I was up in Lake Placid in January and they had more snow than the locals had seen in many years. One of my friends who lives up there year round and usually complains about the large amount of snow they get said to me he thought all the snow was actually beautiful because there was so much of it. In January was cross country skiing over three days it snowed every day 3 to 6 inches and one day it snowed 12 inches! I watch the weather forcasts up there regularly and except for a few days the snow hasen't let up much. So I think you will have a pretty good chance of finding enough snow to ski into Avalanch pass. It is pretty well shaded so the snow should last. Have a good time.