Highpoint: South Carolina. Sassafras Mountain (3560 ft). June 16, 2010

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrishandAlex

Reaction score
Cut and pasted from http://www.trishandalex.com
Accompanying pictures can be found there.

It seems the Carolinas aren't fond of us, as we were pounded by yet another lightning storm today. At least this one waited until we were at our campground before unleashing itself. The drive up Sassafras was uneventful.

We parked near the top and walked the two tenths of a mile to the summit.

The highpoint seems to be near a tree...

...not far from the marker.

We signed the register at the top...

....then headed back down. We didn't want to linger, since the summit is wooded and the flies were biting.

Once at our campground, the skies opened up and the Carolinas told us to get lost. Which we did, figuratively, the following morning.

Next stop: Georgia.

Reminiscent of my Highpoint trip last fall

Don't feel bad- The Carolinas don't like me either. Last sept, planned a nine day trip to visit a relative in Durham and do some highpointing and/or begin some "south beyond 6000" peaks. It started out beautifully, the first day I went to Mt Rogers in VA, the next day I did Mt Mitchell, no rain but it was cloudy and threatening all day, and then began daily steady rain which drove me to end up giving up on any more of the 6000's, going down to drive up Sassafras, and then on the way back to Raleigh/Durham, calling up the airline and paying extra to leave a few days early due to rain in the forecast for the forseeable future.