Hiking for "Spiritual Reasons"

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sherpa John

Note: I understand religion is a very touchy subject in our society whereas people tend to become very much passionate about their feelings. This post means no harm and is solely a matter of opinion and respect from me to my fellow hikers and faithful. I only ask that as you read this short post, please have an open mind.

Its no secret that a large majority of us hike for reasons that are spiritual in nature. During researching for my film and in meeting fellow hikers on the trails and talking with them, I found that even though a large number of us do indeed hike for spiritual reasons and even larger number do not respectively. I know that I for one do.

Hiking allows me to reconnect with my innerself in discovering who in fact I was, who I truly am and whom I am about to become. It is through my faith that I am capable to not only hiking into our mountains for the views, but I am capable of hiking into our hills in being closer to god and seeing the entirety of his grand creation.

My father taught me to "look around and see the sights, see the world that has been created before us." He even told me that once one can truly see, it is evident that "there truly is a god because it no man could have created this."

In a time of great morbidness in our nation, especially since the Terry Chiavo case, people have flocked in making their living wills. Myself, I'm in the process of having one made for the purpose it shall serve, in the event that I shall perish in our mountains within the next year and a half of adventure. I have it stated and known that I wish for my body to be cremetaed and spread on "The Mountain of the cross" in our white mountains. (Article Attached)

At anyrate, I just wanted to ask everyone that if indeed you do hike for spiritual reasons thaton yoru next ascent to the heavens you'll think of the Pope and his wonderful legacy in helping reshape the world. Myself... I was actually named John Paul by my parents in 1981 the year he was shot. He will forever be in my thoughts.

Thank You.

Last edited:
tough one to answer - I am not spiritual at all. In fact - I do consider myself an atheist. I could go on about why I rejected my catholic upbringing - but out of respect for the pope (and catholics) in his last minutes/hours- I will not.

but... - when I hike and climb, I leave all the problems of m-f behind and nothing else matters except that next foot or axe placement. I feel good when I hike and climb and when I am done, I feel like something was accomplished. I feel good being away from the huslte and bustle. I like the people I meet on trails as most are down right decent people. I can really think and reflect on life, what matters, etc.....

I guess being out there in nature and admiring it can be spiritual, but I don't make more out of it that that. I am simple person.

bottom line is I feel alive and well when I am out there. Is that spiritual?? - maybe. To each their own.

But - I did hike with someone (AMC trip) and the whole trip he tried to convert me to to some born again christian thing the whole friggin trip. - Its fine until someone shoves it down my throat. (john - not saying that is what your doing here)

as for the cross in on laffeyette, I can't buy it. To me - its just the way it is.

Last edited:
Simplicity . . .

giggy said:
bottom line is I feel alive and well when I am out there.

That's the way I feel, too. And I don't think anything could be more "spiritual" than that.

G.

Very well said Sherpa John. I admire you for being so well focused at a young age. I have often said that getting out for a hike, even a short one helps me get in touch with my inner self and can once again put life in perspective. I have attached a couple of things we noticed while hiking.
The first is at Avalanche Pass in the ADKs. It is zoomed in quite a bit.
The second is from atop Hurricaine Mt in the Adks.

Giggy - you wrote the post I wanted to write earlier today but I was afraid I could not have done it tastefully or respectfully so I typed for awhile but did not submit.
I sympathize with anyone who is feeling a loss and while there are many good things this pope has done, I feel like he ignored a great many other things. That being said, he accomplished a lot more good for all mankind in his life that I ever will.
I also am an atheist (I abandaoned catholicsm also), converted to Judaism, which I have much less of a problem with...but in the end, over ten years later I find that I am just not a religous person and I really get nothing out of it.
I love the mountains and woods whether alone or with others. The feelings I get during the hard work of a hike, or the beauty of the scenery relaxes me and makes me a happier person in all aspects of my life. These experiences enrich my life and make me a better citizen, husband and father, so in some sense one could say that it is a "spirtual experience" although I would never use that phrase myself.

Glad you have the conviction of Faith to have posted that Sherpa J.

You're not alone.

Being in the splendor of the mountains reaffirms my belief that life is not as complicated as folks make it out to be, the good, the bad, and the ugly alike. I think it is evident by seeing how God takes care of the birds atop the harshest mountains in the Whites during the harshest of weather. If God does this for a bird, then what do we as His children need to fear? Depravity is all around us, it is up to us to find the good and walk with it. In my opinion that's what most in the mountains do, professed spiritual or not. There is no escaping the beauty that is there! We just have differences in opinion how it came to be. For me there are many lessons in the mountains. Spiritual isn't even close to how I feel. I am awe struck that I can be worthy to even be there.

Addition...

Just wanted to add that I am a confrimed catholic. I strongly believe in the Catholic Religion but not the "catholic church" where as I feel it is a political party in every essence of its runnings. So.. no need to feel bad for anything sabplatt and giggy (who I PM'd), I respect your opinions greatly.

I usually don't respond to non-informational threads but this one struck a chord. I am not a religious person(call me an atheist or whatever label you like) and I have been married to a devout catholic for almost 21 yrs. Makes for an interesting marriage. :) I think that one of the reasons that my wife tolerates my hiking urges is that she knows that it's the closest thing to "spirituality" that I have. The forest is my place for quiet time and allows me to put my hectic life on hold for a moment or two and try to put things into place. I'm quite jealous of the ones who post that they are depressed that they have to take a week or two off from hiking, as I am lucky if I get 2 or 3 "big" hikes a year. But 3 or 4 times a week, my hour long lunch break hikes around the Milford NH area, or an early morning run up N or S Pack Monadnock are what keeps me sane. :eek:
"I walk alone."

Last edited:
Rather than the greatness of [insert the name of a divine being here depending on your faith] I believe the the mountains remind us of our own insignificance, irrespective of religious leanings. This never more so than when alone.

I have experienced 'spiritual' moments while in the mountains but attach no religious significance to them. That others do does not bother me in the slightest. I respect every individuals right to interpret this often crazy world in any way they see fit.

The mountains are old and for them mankind arose, will flourish and die in less than a heartbeat. The light will not extinguish with the passing of mankind and the mountains will be no less magnificent for our not being around to observe them.

Bob

I lapsed catholic here as well. Consider myself angnostic. I believe there is a higher power I just don't follow any orgainized religion. SherpaJ, Many would argue that the catholic religion IS the church, but hey you can take it up with god. ;)

Here's the thing for me. Yes, the mountains, woods and the outdoors can be inspiring and at times one can not help but think that it has been touched by the hand of god. I like to think (hope to think) I can get this feeling on the streets of Dorchester, a crowded supermarket or where ever.

having a spiritual moment IMHO is easy on a mountain top and I don't mean to make light of it, I just wish more of us, myself included would live our lives like we were "on a mountain top".

Plus it's opening day for the World Champion Boston Red Sox, so you know there is a god.

Geez---I need to get to confession. ;)

peace.

Well put, HikerBob! I like this reply a lot. For me to post a proper response I'd have to sit down and think a lot longer. This is something I've been pondering a lot and struggling with -- why do I hike, why do we hike? Perhaps this would have been a better question to ask rather then limiting it with religious boundaries because then I have to state things like, I am an atheist, dyed-in-the-wool, but I thought the pope was ok and so on...

I don't think it's quite so easy to assume people hike even because they enjoy it! I've met people -- regular hikers -- who do it purely for the exercise. I hike in part because it's a good workout -- torturous at times for a workout but it's still a good workout. But there's a laundry list of reasons, mostly psychological for which I think we (I) hike. For some it may be spiritual or religious but I doubt it's exclusively so. I understand the Pope was a hiker -- I wonder what he's said about it? For me, I don't feel any spiritual aspect per say; when I hike, I sometimes feel like the mountain is alive, and it is! The white mountains especially area alive whether it's literally with all the plants and animals it's brimming with or figuratively with the mountains many moods whether it's rain or wind or snow or heat or both or all. I look for those experiences where like, you hike up to the summit of Lafayette on a hot day yet it's cool up there and the clouds are drifting around you.

I think all of this is rooted in some psychological need. It's kind of cleansing and it turns into something like a drug. I wonder how many of us hikers also have addictive personalities? I do -- I've successfully evaded drugs and (too much) alcohol because I know I'd been hooked; when I get into something I do it fast, hard and in excess.

That's just a rambling take on this. I've thought about this for a while and I guess I still have more pondering to do.

Regards,

Dr. Wu

Taking Pictures

Oh, I also hike because I like to photograph. It was an unexpected consequence when I started hiking -- I never ever took a picture of anything in my life. Now I'm totally obsessed with it and in fact, it kills me at work because I constantly put my screen saver on just to look at my hiking pictures. That has become a big part of hiking for me... perhaps you could connect it to some spiritual reason or a psychological one.

-Dr. Wu

I am a Christian (not Catholic) and everytime I hike I am reminded of the beauty of the earth that God (yes, capital "G") created. Call that experience what you will, but it is not the sole reason I hike. It's just great exercise!

I am called to the mountains more for spiritual reasons than any other.

"Such places often have a power that we cannot easily describe or explain. When approached with an awareness of the emptiness and luminosity underlying all appearances, they can encourage us to expand our vision not only of ourselves, but of reality itself."

- Tenzin Gyatso, The XIV Dalai Lama of Tibet

Peace to all. See you in the hills.

Steve

What is special about a mountain that causes people to have spiritual awareness? I am genuinely curious.

Hmmm... dunno that the mountains themselves impart a "spiritual" experience. Think it's more that being on the trail removes one from the hub-bub of daily activity. Absent the normal pressures, there seems to be a... freedom... to ponder "bigger" thoughts. And spectacular scenery enhances that experience.

I find that reaching the summit doesn't impart as much a sense of accomplishment as it does the sense that I'm as far from human community as it's possible to get in that particular environ. The first thought on summiting is "Okay, time to go down."

Seems to me that "life" is lived down in the village, not on the mountaintop. It's great to get out for some exercise and to "escape" the normal routine and to "reconnect" with other aspects of existence. But it's the connectedness with other human beings that defines what it is to be "alive".

As for the Pope, I think he would have enjoyed posting into this thread. See:

http://outside.away.com/outside/adventure/200201/200201fieldnotes.adp

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.