Hiking GSMNP

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mahony

Reaction score
Ok so maybe this isn't the perfect place for this, but I was hoping to get some advice from those who have visited Great Smoky National Park.

I'm heading down there next week (for a week) with my two sons (8 and 9) and I wanted to get some input as to the hikes we "should absolutely not miss". We're planning some loops into the backcountry, so distance is not necessarily a deterrent to deep woods attractions. I got the deatailed trail maps and I've done some route planning with a general guidebook. The key for me is to keep the boys engaged throughout the hikes.

Any help is appreciated!!

A few destinations I would recommend off the top of my head are Mt. Sterling ( tower on top, campsite at base of tower, killer views)

View%20from%20Inside%20Sterling%20Tower.jpg

and Mt. Shuckstack ( another tower, more superb views)

Lake%20Fontana%20from%20Shuckstack.jpg

Shuckstack is on the western/south end of the Smokies just off the AT, and Sterling is at the eastern/north end, a bit south of the AT.

Mt Cammerer also has a stubby little "tower", but the views aren't nearly as striking IMO.

They will probably be mad if they don't get to Clingman's Dome, everybody else seems to go there :)

There is another short tower hike to Look Rock in a detached area to the W maintained by the park, the tower is more impressive than the view

Clingman's Dome, everybody else seems to go there :)

I guess if you don't mind crowds. It's not really a hike - it's a stroll up a paved sidewalk, and the tower is surrounded by a mostly dead forest of Fraser Firs.

It can be a good place for sunsets, but you won't be alone.

It's not really a hike - it's a stroll up a paved sidewalk

...unless you start at Fontana Dam or Davenport Gap or Springer Mtn. or... :D

Agree about the crowds. The summit structure is really goofy looking. I once saw a guy riding a bike up it.

How 'bout Charlie's Bunion? Good views and, IIRC, a pretty easy hike on the AT from Newfound Gap.

If you make it to the TN side, do the drive through Cades Cove. It's beautiful. Your boys might also enjoy Gatlinburg. :D:D:D It's cheesy and rednecky but also a lot of fun!

Cades Cove, Clingmans Dome, Chimney Tops. Some great waterfalls. There's plenty to do.

I also spent some time to the north on the blue ridge - Grandfather Mtn., Roan Mtn highlands, Linville Gorge.

Have a good trip.
DaveG.

How 'bout Charlie's Bunion? Good views and, IIRC, a pretty easy hike on the AT from Newfound Gap.

If you make it to the TN side, do the drive through Cades Cove. It's beautiful. Your boys might also enjoy Gatlinburg. :D:D:D It's cheesy and rednecky but also a lot of fun!

All True! Hiking by day, go-carts in the evening. Embrace the redneckiness!
:D
Charles%20Bunion.jpg

Charles Bunion

Thanks for all of the inputs. I appreciate it. The road to Clingmans is closed so it is a real hike until they finish fixing the road :D

I plan to hit Pigeon Forge for the hokey stuff cause the kids like it ( I did as a kid), but I can only take so much civilization.

I'm still planning so I'm still open to suggestions.

I have done a five day loop out of Cosby Campground...AT to Icewater to Mt. Le Conte and back via Old Settlers. There are some nice loops out of Cosby's including one to Mt. Cammerer. Mte. Le Comte has some cabins and a hut like set up for meals. Cades Cove is a small version of Sturbridge Village.

Another 5 day loop was Fontana to Clingman's and back via Forney Ridge, long distant views were scarce, but hiking is easier along the Lakeshore.

With 800 miles of trail it is not east to pick only a few!
If you are driving down I-81 consider a day hike into Grayson Highlands, Mt. Rogers in VA. Along the AT there you will be close enough to pat some of the wild ponies. Kids will love that! Luray Caverns are amazing caves, if you can fit in a visit there!