Hiking in CA

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikerbrian

Reaction score
Well, I grew up in New Hammi and spent many days and nights in our beloved White Mountains. Alas, now I find myself transplanted to the SF Bay area of CA. I'm dying to get out and explore the Sierra Nevada, as I'm told there is some fantastic hiking not too far away. Unfortunately, there is nothing like the WMNF guide for CA, or at least I haven't found it yet. The Sierra Nevada is vast, and I don't know where to start. Anyone have experience in these mountains? Something more specific than "Yosemite" would me most helpful, but anything you can offer would be much appreciated. I'm looking for places within 4 hrs drive of San Francisco. To narrow it down, I'm most interested in day trips and single overnights, as my grad student schedule doesn't allow for much else, but I expect I'll have a week here and there to really get out, so longer trips will also be helpful. Finally, I'm less interested in technical rock, and more interested in peaceful places away from the crowds. Trails are unnecessary. Thanks in advance!

ba

p.s. I miss the Pemi!!!

Last edited:
Hey hikerbrian

I went to graduate school in the bay area as well! What a great place. My favorite area is Sequoia National Park. But that's much further than four hours away from you. You can find some out of the way hikes in Muir woods, especially during the week, but on the weekends forget it! The roads going up into the mountains are like freeways...bumper to bumper. I have an OK book called 100 Hikes in California's Central Sierra & Coast Range (here's a link via amazon http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_1/102-3824648-6194521?v=glance&s=books ) that gives pretty decent info.

Enjoy!

The Lake Tahoe area is less than four hours and is loaded with trails. I can vouch for the mountains around Kirkwood and Carson Pass (you need a parking pass - I'm not sure if it's the same WMNF pass we have to have here.

Hi BA,
There are quite a few publications about the Sierras that might be helpful. Secor's book is a great guide.
http://www.rei.com/online/store/Pro...0&parent_category_rn=10574068&vcat=REI_SEARCH

I am heading out there in July this year and going to the Evolution Basin to climb Goddard and a number of other peaks in the area. It's about 200 miles from SF in Kings Canyon and is suppose to be some of the more isolated but spectacular areas to be found.
Between the book and trip reports on summitpost.org, I think you'll find enough information to help you out.
The two big differences I have found between the Whites and the Sierras is that trails do not go to summits, and they love to rate the hike by giving it a number the same way rock climbers rate their route (hiker routes are usually 1 to 3...technical starts at 4+). The trails out there are limited and generally weave through a particular area. The climbing is up to you to figure out but Secors book will give you the rating of each face and a description of the routes.
There are several other books out there too that I'm sure would be helpful, so maybe check Amazon too.
Hope this helps,
Bill

Its 4 hours (197 miles) to Yosemite from SF. Take highway 120 (Tiooga rd) you can climb Mt Conness , MT Gibbs, Mt Dana, Mt hoffman and a host of others all in the vincinity of Touolme meadows, which also has a great campground as well. IN the Bay area, MT Tampalas(sp) is near muir woods and a nice hill to hike on.
I miss the bay area used to hike on ocean beach (sunset neighborhood) every night, its quite a long beach and nothing like hiking next to the surf, speaking of, when I make my back there, I plan to take up surfing, just a thought for you as well, its the only thing Ive ever done that competes with mountain climbing for sheer fun.

A nice park north of SF is Armstrong Redwoods State Park. Its between Sonoma and Bodega Bay. I forget the route number. Its along the Russian River. I went there on a Sunday and had the trails to my self in Jan. A trail lower down that runs thru all the tall redwoods and then a longer loop trail that goes thru the high country and not as many of the redwoods. I saw a about twenty wild pigs up there. Good place to hike around for a day.

Welcome to the Golden State !

Looks like you got some good advice already. I'd like to turn your attention to Point Reyes and the North Coast ... breathtaking stuff starts just over the Golden Gate Bridge ...

http://www.backcountry-explorer.org/NORCAL/index.html

I found Pt. Reyes in particular to be a real gem ... I saw an incredible array of wildlife and some of the most awesome coastal scenes there ...

I visit the Bay area on business every year or two and always try to steal a day or 2 to make a Sierras pilgrimage. Though I have not yet discovered a place I don't like, two that stand out are the Desolation Wilderness and the Mokelumne Wilderness, both near the southern end of Lake Tahoe. They fit your under 4 hours criterion nicely. My wife and I spent our only unplanned night out ever in the Desolation, the night of the summer solstice a few years back, when we underestimated the size of the snowpack and consequential spring runoff leading to lots of stream crossing and trail finding issues. (fortunately we had a tent and had already spent 2 planned nights out, just ran low on food). Lots of wildlife. Make sure to bear-bag your food. Only thing is, you need permits to enter, though it's not a big deal to get them. Just stop at a ranger station.
Closer to SF there are also tons of places... they seem to respect the idea of open space a lot more there than around here. :) Basically, pull out a map and head to a green place with few roads, you can't go wrong! Enjoy.