Hiking in North Carolina During the Thanksgiving Holidays (25-Nov-09)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
During the Thanksgiving holidays I visited family in North Carolina. One of our activities was a hike to Moore's Knob (2,572 ft elevation) which is located within Hanging Rock State Park near Danbury, NC.

Included in the trail guide that was handed out at the Ranger Station is a statement which reads:
"Venomous snakes, ticks, and poisonous plants may be found along park trails. Exercise caution."
Hmmm! Don't seem to recall seeing a similar statement in White Mountain trail guides (especially the part about venomous snakes!:eek:).

Oh well! We headed off on a very nice trail, and it wasn't too long before we came to a very picturesque pond.
P1030321.JPG

Not long after leaving the pond, we encountered the sign shown below.
P1030316.JPG

Hmmm! I had checked out this hike on the Internet and didn't recall reading anything about conditions along this trail that would require a special warning about "serious injury or death".:confused:

Undeterred by the sign, we proceeded onward and began the moderately steep climb to the top of Moore's Knob. It was an uneventful trek through a predominately oak and pine forest, with some intermixed rhododendron, azalea and mountain laurel.

Upon reaching the top of Moore's Knob, we found pleasant views from several ledges and from an observation tower. Most of the views from this location are primarily vistas of the piedmont region of North Carolina. But on a clear day, apparently there are some vistas with mountains in the distance. Although the weather was nice when we were there, conditions were not good for distant views.

Below is a photo showing one of the views from the top of Moore's Knob on the day we were there.
P1030299.JPG

After taking in the "views from the top", we headed back down to the trailhead. At no time during our ascent or descent did we encounter anything that made us feel like we might face "serious injury or death". So, I assume that the warning sign at the beginning of the trail was purely for liability reasons.:)

However, regarding the tidbit in the trail guide about "venomous snakes, ticks, and poisonous plants", we did encounter one small snake. I'm pretty certain it wasn't a rattlesnake, but I'm not so sure it wasn't a copperhead.:eek:

On the way back from our hike, we stopped to visit a winery for a taste-testing which made for a very pleasant ending to our day.:D Many of the tobacco farms in North Carolina are being converted to vineyards and I'm told that the State has about 90 wineries.
P1030325.JPG

We enjoyed our visit with relatives, and we enjoyed hiking in a new environment.
However, as the saying goes "there's no place like home", and we were happy to return to NH and our beloved White Mountains.

1HappyHiker

Last edited:
Nice Photo's

I've always wanted to hike in NC & TN maybe after all my goals in the Northeast I'll head on down the road. Really nice photo's:)

That looks like a nice area. Too bad NC is hours away. Those are the mtns I am really interested in. Well that and WV. But those are also hours away. It is kind of freaky reading about possible venomous snakes, isn't it? If it makes you feel any better, I've only seen one snake since I've moved down. I have a feeling they are nocturnal during the summer.

Dean and Phil: Thanks guys for your replies.

Hey Phil, yes it is indeed "freaky" to read about warnings for venomous snakes in the areas where you're hiking. I wonder . . . do folks do any bushwhacking down South?! With the snakes, ticks and poisonous plants, it doesn't seem like a good idea to me!

Also, you mentioned the desire to hike in West Virginia. I've driven the entire length of that State on many occasions en route to other destinations. I can definitely understand why you might want to consider hiking there. The terrain for that State looks mighty interesting, at least from what I've seen from the highway. Maybe someone on this Forum has hiked there and can share their thoughts with us.

Also, you mentioned the desire to hike in West Virginia. I've driven the entire length of that State on many occasions en route to other destinations. I can definitely understand why you might want to consider hiking there. The terrain for that State looks mighty interesting, at least from what I've seen from the highway. Maybe someone on this Forum has hiked there and can share their thoughts with us.
There is some very nice hiking in WVA. A number of us posted more specific recommendations in a prior thread.

Doug

Doug, thanks for mentioning recent threads on VFTT relative to hiking in West Virginia. I just took a look, and indeed the info in those threads confirms my suspicions that there is some wild & wonderful hiking in that State. (I guess there is a good reason for the words "wild & wonderful" being on that State's license plate!)

Marty, thanks for your kind words about my report. And hey, I've not travelled any of the country roads of WV . . . just the Interstates.
But in a way John Denver's lyrics do have an element of truth in my particular situation, i.e. I've traveled the roads of WV en route to visit my Mom who currently lives just south of that State in KY.:)

Last edited:
Hanging Rock State Pk. (June 11, 2010)

Thanks to John (IHH) for alerting me to this one too (like Pilot Mtn.) The Sauratown Mtns., 10-15 miles ENE of Pilot, are the other dramatic exception to the flatness of the Piedmont and Hanging Rock State Park preserves the best of them. It has many more miles of trails than Pilot Mtn. St. PK., suiting it for a longer day of hiking. I think John's Moore's Wall Loop, which I followed in the same clockwise direction, is the single best, with its spectacular views from the tower atop Moore's Knob, the high-point of the Sauratowns. These include a look back to Pilot, over Sauratown Mtn. with its many communications towers:

897714869_BWTVf-M-1.jpg

To the east, the 1.2 mile out-and-back Trail to Hanging Rock deserves its popularity, as the Rock is spectacular from below:

897715568_VaZCd-M-4.jpg

and its summit cliffs make it easy to scare yourself, a la Bondcliff, from above:

897717702_JRLft-M-2.jpg

There is even a short trail to a waterfall - Upper Cascades:

897721354_t4RzL-M-2.jpg

Thanks again to John, for helping me make the most of my first, short trip to the Piedmont. The rest of my pix are here.