Hiking in the Nude

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To add to that...

Is anyone planning to "Pound the Presis" nude?? :eek: :eek: :eek:

I've seen a naked guy stretching in a shelter I was passing one morning while backpacking on the Long Trail. There was no one else at the shelter and so the question was raised:

"Was he naked because no one was there, or was no one there because he was naked?" :confused: :p :D

Thankfully, that question was the ONLY thing that was raised! :eek:

Taylor Canyon, Utah. I spent some time hiking around and chillin' nekked. I couldn't help myself, the sun was warm, you can see for miles and miles and the nearest person, besides my girlfriend at the time, was prolly even farther away. of course i'll amend that when i see pics on the internets.

i forget the date, but AT thru-hikers have a nude hiking day.

good luck!

ps. nothing burned! :D

Have not hiked naked, but have taken a naked break after soaking my clothes in fresh water and letting them dry in the sun.

Also had another naked moment while camping in Baxter.

But I can't do that for too long... I keep getting the feeling that someone is just about to walk in on my naked moment.

cbcbd said:
Also had another naked moment while camping in Baxter.

Baxter is the only place where I have observed naked hikers. This happened three times, all on Upper South Branch Pond.

The first time involved two female hikers, who shed all their clothes and swam and sunbathed just to the right the lean-to we were at :)

The second time was a quirky male hiker who asked if he could use our water access and proceeded to disrobe in front of us and went for a swim :(

The third time involved my wife and me in a rubber raft, chilling out after a hike. Hope no-one saw us. ;)

I was hiking up on the Davis Path once, I was going to camp off the trail somewhere, it was close to nightfall, it was nice and warm with a breeze, the bugs weren't bad........I was young.....

It was kinda liberating till I started to imagine every noise was a person.
I even managed to scamble up to the top of Mt. Crawford under moonlight. (so to speak).

Lost the trail for like 30 seconds on the open slabs on the way back to my pack. Scared me out of ever trying it again. All I could think about was the write up in the paper......

I came across two naked people while hiking on the AT in Virginia in the rain. They weren't hiking, though.... :eek:
It was a little awkward.

1) Yes
2) No
3) Maybe

WELL... I was almost naked. I kept my hat on. Out west, in the california desert, a voice called to me, and told me to do it. And I did. I got a nice scratch on my XXXXXXX from the sharp leaves of a yucca.

It was interesting. I was alone. I could see other hikers, several miles away. I could see that there was nobody any closer. I didn't do it for too long (couple hours) because I was afraid of sunburn and snakebite (I got the former anyway).

Yeah...... I'll do it again, given similar circumstances.

I've participated in naked boot-skiing off the summit of Eisenhower on Memorial Day weekend, hopefully far enough away from the hikers on Crawford Path that they weren't too disturbed. I've seen naked hikers on Moosilauke on the solstice; Dartmouth students.

I've skinnydipped and seen folks skinnydipping along lots of hiking trails, but I don't think that counts.

-dave-

Yes

1969: Woodstock, Lots of naked people but they weren't hiking.

1974: Vermont, hiking along the Long trail near Bolton Valley. Mix crowd of nude sunbathers alone a stream.

2004: Wife and I hiking along a private section of trail at the Cape. Teenage couple nake. They weren't hiking and they weren't sunbathing. Kicker is we were invited next door for a bbq. It was there daughter and boyfriend.

marty said:
Baxter is the only place where I have observed naked hikers. This happened three times, all on Upper South Branch Pond.

Mtnmama and I were on the last full day of a six day trip to the Baxter area. It had rained the whole time. The rain was so bad that our canoe camping turned into a couple of nights at a hunting cabin. We had a site booked at South Branch Pond for the last three nights of our trip. The sun finally came out around noon of the last day. We got inspired so we went exploring. Along the shore we discovered a trail that ran along a stream which fed into the pond. About 3/4 of a mile up was a small waterfall. At the top of the falls was a perfect little swimming hole. The sun was getting hot. After five days of raw wet weather and no place to bathe we were going in. We frollicked for a while when we heard voices coming up the trail. It sounded like a bunch of women. Our clothes were hanging on a nearby tree so I scambled out to get them. Just as we got dressed a group of Nuns came upon us :eek:

I have seen naked hikers 3 times.

Once on Mount Whitney, he just sauntered on by as I stiffled a surprised sound of shock.

Another time it was a naked thruhiker on the AT just outside of Baxter, who disrobed and went bathing, washing himself and the whole bit while we tried to hide our "jaws to the ground" look before quickly packing up and taking off, giggling the whole way.

And finally more recently when I had the unfortunate experience of finding that the hooting and the hollering of 3 friends at Gibbs Falls was caused by their swimming naked. By the time I realized what was going on, it was too late to warn Brian and my sister and they had already seen me and so I had no choice but to pretend it was no big deal and go swimming also (WITH all my clothes on, of course) . . . :D that was the most uncomfortable of the 3 times, since I work right next to one of the naked swimmers (you shouldn't see your co-workers naked, something very wrong about that).

Now those are pictures that would liven up the Gourmet Hut Trip report.

sli74

Nude Hiking (Swimming) Bad Trip Story...

When I make my annual pilgrimage to Cumberland Island National Seashore we always go to Stafford Beach (a hike-in spot), which is considered a "nude beach," a "weed beach," and a "seaturtle observation beach," among other things; kinda strange, because it's pretty damn deserted. Anyway, there's a custom that everyone (myself included) always take a nude sunset swim. Well, two years ago I found myself in a pickle. I had played the loyal son and taken my 72 YO mom camping. And, as fate would have it we wound up at Stafford. I had forgotten all about the custom/ritual. It was a beautiful eve and my mom wanted to stroll through the dunes down to the beach, so off we went. At the beach we encountered a group of hippies from Ashville NC. They had beer and also offered us their "peace pipe." We then undressed and ran to the water, whilst my mom went looking for shells... :D I should add there were three young ladies, all gorgeous, and two twenty-something guys, one of whom even made me a little jealous... (yeah, i looked) Anyway, we all frolicked in the water for an hour and had a grand time. After a while we headed in, when what to my shock should i see but my mom in all HER glory trudging out to sea straight at us. Bad enough trip her being my mom, but 72 years didnt help! :eek: Footnote to the story: I got some "strawberries" from what i thought were logs i kept bumping into in the waves that evening. Few days later back at the ferry to the mainland the ranger dude's eyes bolt open as he tells me we were bodysurfing naked in a shark feeding frenzy induced by the baby turtles' hatch and march to the sea... (and the strawberries were from the sharks' sandpaper skin). Said if we had stayed in the water any longer (past dark) we'd a been history... :(

I admit it. I hiked naked. June 21 on the AT. We were just outside Boiling Springs, PA.
But, I also must admit that I wasn't naked for very long. My pack was rubbing uncomfortably on my hips, so I decided to put my clothes back on. Actually, it was a good thing because about 2 miles south of Boiling Springs is all corn fields. Talk about sunburn potential.
Oh, and thankfully, no one saw me. They would have been scarred. Well, no one, but the missus...she wasn't interested.
:rolleyes:

Jeez, am I the only one who's never seen a naked hiker?! I guess that can be a good or a bad thing.

Way to go Trailbiscuit!!!
AT tradition!!
I started to.......but that wet, clammy, sweaty pack on your back is just nasty! (good excuse anyway!!)

If hiking on a nude beach counts, then:

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes

Other than that the closest we've come is skinny dipping at a river a trail crosses or a swimming hole next to one. Lot's of great swimming holes in VT by the way.