Hiking in the Taconics on Saturday

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
I think I'm taking a break from the granite state this weekend, so me and my pup are heading out to Western MA to do some hiking in the Taconics. I figured I'd post an open-call if anyone is interested in tagging along.

Plan is to hike the Mt Frissell trail to Round Mountain (CT, 2296 ft, 360 views), then to Mt Frissell (MA, 2454 ft), then to Brace Mountain (NY, 2311 ft, 360 views). The trip goes over the CT high point as well as the tri-state border marker. It's an out-and-back... so if the day ends too soon, I may add Bear Mountain since the trailhead is just across the street from the Mt Frissell trail.

The day will definitely end at the Barrington Brewery.

If you want to tag along, drop me a line. I can carpool from Wootown or pick up en route.

Cheers,
Jamie

That's great hiking. Frissell's summit is heavily forested and viewless, but there are nice views at and near the state line/high point. I went as far as the tristate marker for the RT. Bear is prettier and is a stiff climb from the north. Haven't yet done the Braces - their views are oft-praised. If you like waterfalls, Bash Bish is nice and easy, Race Brook is more work and, IMO, much prettier. If you do it, hug along the brook to the ridge line to see all the falls.

Last edited:
Brace and South Brace have excellent views of the northern Dutchess/Columbia counties... Sages Ravine is a nice place to in that area in as far as waterfalls/streams go. If you want a pretty steep and exposed trail, you can do South Brace from Quarry Road... I did a loop with a short road walk and descended to Quarry road and was kind of amazed at the trail routing from South Brace, it's got some tricky spots if the trails are wet/icy.

Jay