Hiking on Wednesday 3/7

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p2piper

Reaction score
Nancy and I have a free day and are thinking about hiking tomorrow. Temps look like they will be 10-20 degrees above normal. And, yes, the wind will be picking up. So probably no ridge walking tomorrow. What I'm really questioning is the snow quality with temps that warm. Will the snow stay consolidated for at least one day with temps in the 40s or are we looking at a death slog through slush?

Originally we were hoping for Lincoln and Lafayette, but the wind may prove too much. So thinking now of South and Middle Carter, still exposed, but not quite as exposed as the Franconia Ridge.

When I checked NOAA yesterday morning the forecast was for sunny, warm and calm winds. How fast it can change.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Pat

Nancy and I have a free day and are thinking about hiking tomorrow. Temps look like they will be 10-20 degrees above normal. And, yes, the wind will be picking up. So probably no ridge walking tomorrow. What I'm really questioning is the snow quality with temps that warm. Will the snow stay consolidated for at least one day with temps in the 40s or are we looking at a death slog through slush?
The surface snow exposed to the sun will likely become wet (snowball snow....) and there may be free water and mud in bare areas. The wet snow is likely to stick to snowshoes and crampons/traction aids. The consistency may change fairly dramatically between the sunny areas and shaded areas and in some spots you may find wet snow over dry powder.

Slush is water-saturated snow--the surface will likely drain sufficiently that it will not form in most places, however it may form in low places with poor drainage.

Streams are likely to be higher in the afternoon and evening than in the early morning and the trail may become icy if it cools down in the evening.

Doug