Hiking/Overnighter in or around Waterville Valley, NH?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry Sr

Team Member
Reaction score
My son is heading up to Waterville Valley to ski New Years weekend.

I do not ski but would like to snowshoe/hike and maybe do an overnighter on the AT or something like it.

Suggestions please, I have been spending most of my time on the AT in the Berks so my knowledge of the Whites is slim.

The AT is some distance from Waterville Valley, and many of the ridges are unlikely to be well broken.

One possibility would be to go (southbound) from Cascade Brook to Kinsman Pond (shelter) on day one, and bag the Kinsmans and return on day two. Going to Libery Spring (nothbound) on day one and over the ridge to Lafayette onday two would be a long trip, with some serious above treeline travel, and the segment between Liberty Spring Trail and Little Haystack is likely to be unbroken.

Access to the AT is at least 45 minutes from Waterville Valley, the closest points being Knisman Notch and Franconia Notch. Both are steep climbs out of the notches and, compared to the Berkshires, these are not to be trifled with.

Now, that could be a hike if your son would drop you at one and pick you up at the other. I don't know whether there is any access to Lonesome Lake Hut in the winter but there is a shelter at Kinsman Pond and near Wolf Mtn you could drop down to Gordon Pond where there are tentsites, for whatever advantage tentsites offer in winter. There is a trail from here back to rt 112 as an alternative to the notch.

In Waterville Valley, I've often thought that Oseola Vista campground, officially closed in winter, would be a nice place to camp with several dayhikes out of there possible.

sli74 said:
You can hike Tecumseh, Sandwich Dome or the Welch Dickey loop. Those are all right in that area. And all are dayhikes.

sli74

If only my 14 year old son could drop off and recover at trails end.

Welch Dickey seems to meet most of my logistical needs but I still would love a night in the woods rather than sharing a hotel with the scouts. Temperature matters not and I have some new Xmas gear to try.

Tecumseh Ok this time of year to do in a day? (I'm Slow) I would probably leave early, do an up and back and stay with the boys hopefully before dark.

Thanks Sli, et al

Last edited:
Yes, Tecumseh is one of the easiest 4000'ers in winter, makes for a fairly short dayhike, as winter 4's go.

From WV there aren't any shelters or campsites in the area, so if you wish to spend a night you'll be tenting in the woods. I think the Sandwich Dome area would be the best option for camping.

-dave-

Thanks Dave, I read some of your trip reports on another site.
Glad you checked in here as well.

I'm solo so if anyone wants to provide a decent pace for a slow middle aged man, I'll keep up.

Barry, Sr.

Barry,

Tecumseh is about 2.5 miles each way with about 2,200 feet of elevation gain, with a long rather steep section but no "killer steeps".

Sandwich from Waterville is a more ambitious hike, about 4 miles (depending on route) and 2,600 feet of elevation gain. The shorter route has a very steep section, the longer one is less steep.

For some strange reason I have never yet done Sandwich in winter, hope to do it this year. But would be just as happy to do Tecumseh. Assuming you want to hike with a slow old man :(

Goin' up Fri, 1/2/04 to stay somewhere near WV ski area with group of scouts.
I have no responsability with them but may cop to cheep digs on their coat tail in return for giving some of them a ride up.

I'm thinking Sat, 1/3/04 Early, Tecumseh, lunch on top and then down.

Not sure of length of stay up there, might have time for Welch Dickey loop the next day.

I can't imagine either one of us, Mohamed, having to look too far back to find the other.

Lets firm up plans later, I have to call director of trip and see what my sleeping options are before I jump on any comittment.

Look foward to any and all VFTT folks to join us.
I missed Sli and others at Boston Lounge Lizard night.

Barry Sr said:
I'm thinking Sat, 1/3/04 Early, Tecumseh, lunch on top and then down.
Excellent, since I am hoping to join the FFF trip on Sunday I suspect that Sandwich on Saturday would be too much.

Any other FFFers up for an easy Saturday hike at a gentle pace?

Another question just came to mind.

I usually have been hitting the lower elevations (<2000+).
To do Tecumseh, will my usual hiking boots be enough?
Will I need my snowshoes?
I have a pair of Koflac's, do I need that extreme?
How much snow on the trail do I expect this time of year?

I am usually quite prepared, just headin' into different situation and want the right stuff there. Also, my wife (a complete novice) wanted to join me but if she needs to completely outfit with different boots n such from her usual walk in the three season flatlands, she will pass.

As usual, I know I will get the best in info from you all.
Thanks in advance,

Barry

Some very personal (and hence biased) answers to some of your questions. The bottom line is that there is a big difference between the New Hampshire 4,000 Footers and most hikes in the Berkshires. Mt Tecumseh, arguably the easiest 4,000 footer, is about the same as Mt Greylock by the Cheshire Harbor Trail.

Also, my wife (a complete novice) wanted to join me but if she needs to completely outfit with different boots n such from her usual walk in the three season flatlands, she will pass.
It is not just a question of gear, we are talking of a winter hike with 2,000 feet of vertical, which IMHO is completely different from "her usual walk in the three season flatlands".
How much snow on the trail do I expect this time of year?
About a foot low down, more higher up. How consolidated depends on the weather this coming week, by now I guess the old snow is beaten down to concrete consistency.
Will I need my snowshoes?
See above, I always bring my snowshoes, when the hike involves a single trail and that trail is welll broken I sometimes end up leaving them in the car (and sometimes end up regretting that decision :( ).
To do Tecumseh, will my usual hiking boots be enough?
Since I have a choice of winter boots I never hike with three season boots in winter. That said, I suspect that, if the day is not too cold, leather boots may do.

Jennings Peak!!

Another option would be Jennings Peak -- kind of a middle of the road mountain on the shoulder of Sandwich Dome. I recall Noon Peak, close to the summit, looks like it has had enough overnight stays to have level spots. Great views of the Valley as well.

Green Giant