hiking the Adirondacks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dad&lad

Reaction score
Hello ; good friends and I are going hiking neer Keene, New York. It is east of Lake Placid, New York. We are going there Memorial Day weekend, I am writing to see if anyone knows how the weather is like there that time of the year. Thank you.

The weather could be just about anything. Most likely days would be in the 70s, but could be higher. Nights could be in the 40s-50s, but below freezing is not unknown. I once climbed Big Slide the weekend before Memorial Day. It rained heavily in the Keene valley the night before the hike, but at the summits there was about 2-3 inches of new snow (which fell on bare ground). I also passed though a section of ice covered trees just below reaching the elevations with snow. It was beautiful, and posed no problem hiking in summer boots. Expect mud on the trails, and prepare for the biting black flies.

Weather links.

Check the Adirondacks weather link on NEIce.com the week before you go. You can also get weather on LakePLacid.com.

Short term forecasts are somewhat more reliable.:cool:

Another suggestion would be to call the Mountaineer in Keene Valley. They usually know what trails are clear/muddy/snow. Watch out for black flies that weekend, I would come prepared with at least head-nets. (a 1/2 ounce $2 item at wally world.)

My son and I have gone hiking on Memorial Day weekend for years. The trails are usually no problem. They may be a little wetter than August, but they really aren't bad. You'll usually encounter snow at elevations above 3500 to 4000 feet in the shade and on north facing slopes. Every year we’ve gone we’ve been in 2-3 feet of snow at one time or another.
The temps are difficult to predict. We usually wear shorts during the day, and need our warmer bags at night.
The black flies will be just starting down low (2000 feet), but not usually prevalent above 2500-3000 feet. Obviously these are averages. Weather conditions between now and Memorial Day can make big swings in averages, but it’s what we’ve encountered year after year.
Have fun. It feels good to get the winter boots of and a good pair of shorts on.

You never know

I agree with KZKlimber, the shorter the forecast, the better. The adirondacks are notorious for quick changes. My hiking partners and I have a rule of thumb that almost always works. If the weather guys are calling for awesome weather more than a week out, it will be terrible, if they're calling for rain, make your plans, cause it's going to be perfect.

:D

I would be more concerned with the black fly forecast myself, you'll be cutting it close. They will most definitely be out in lower elevations but maybe not too bad up high. If we have a warm May though, they will be out in droves. Bottom line, prepare for everything. Have fun

Last edited: