Hiking the Maine 4k

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deanmacg

Reaction score
I`m looking to get good peaks per gallon when I start hitting the 4000ftrs in Maine this summer. Aside from Baxter how many days should I allow for the rest. I`m figuring 6-7 may work. Any ideas on a good method of attack? I`m only attacking because of time restraints with work and all. Also - I`m looking at Baxter in late Sept. How should I fair as a walk-in to Chimney? Thanks .

Well if you are doing the Maine 4Ks then you can do it relatively quickly: Here is how I would do it (Stratton-Rangeley).

*The Bigelows: Go up fire wardens tr. Both peaks are close to each other. If the weather is favorable and you are feeling up to it, head over to the Horns -- S horn is on the NEHH list which you may one day do!!!! If you do that go down horns pond tr to firewarden.

*Saddleback & Saddleback Horn: Don't bother with the AT approach these peaks are EASILY reachable by the ski slopes.

*Abraham: Try to combine this in the same day as Saddlebacks, should be do able. Approach is from the east.

*Sugarloaf & Spaulding: get these both at once, It is possible to get Abraham with these 2 if you want (but long!) You can approach from the ski slopes, or CVR (AT). There is a tow road up sugarloaf that snakes around that is fairly easy to climb.

*Crockers & Redington: Do these from CVR up the AT, Get S crocker then North Crocker then go back to South then BW down to Redington then follow logging maze back to CVR.

If you can handle Hiking 4 days in a row with no breaks then you could do it in that many days. With rest you should be able to get it in 5.

To answer your second question, Baxter in late Sept is gorgeous. A walk-up to the gate to get a reservation for Chimney Pond is likely to be successful midweek, but unlikely on a weekend unless the weather stinks (in which case you will not want to be climbing the big K anyway). As an alternative, you can probably score a site at Roaring Brook or, even more likely, Abol or Katahdin Stream. So you're likely to be able to get some campsite within striking distance of Katahdin in late Sept, probably even on a weekend day, if you can be flexible. Keep in mind that there are sometimes days that they close the upper mountain because of ice/snow, even that early in the season. Been there, done (or rather not done) that.
Have fun.
Weatherman

I'd advocate just following the AT. For most thru-hikers, Maine is a special place, so enjoy the journey. All Maine 4K's are either on the AT, or close to it.

Thanks all. I`ll take it slow and enjoy the time spent in the hills of Maine. I always look for the the more interesting routes to the summits. IE - I did Isolation via Dry River and out Glen Boulder then hitched back to the Notch to finish the NH4000. It`s just a long ways from NY to Maine so I wanted to consolidate as much as possible.

Tackle Saddleback and the Horn via AT as Arm mentions (fantastic hike!!!), staying at Piazza Rock shelter (day 1). Then head over to do Abraham the next day (2). You can either camp there (little spot near trailhead), or head north to AT crossing. There are 2 stealth sites at the South branch Carrabassett crossing on the AT heading toward Sugarloaf (about 300 feet from CVRd). Basecamp there 2 nights and do The Crockers and Redington one day (3), Sugarloaf and Spaulding (4) the other. Drive to Theo's to get a few growler's for the campfire for the secong night :cool: . Next morning, backpack to Horns Pond for an overnight, heading up Firewarden's to Avery and Bigelow and then over the Horns to Horn Pond for the night (5). Leave the next day, having completed the 9 Western Maine 4Ks in 6 leisurely days. Heck, you'll fell so good that you'll want to catch Old Speck on the way home :D

Or you could just backpack the AT from Piazza rock through the Bigelows. Depends what you prefer.

I don't know if you are into dayhiking but I did the whole AT from East Flagstaff Lake thru ME 4 south of Rangeley as a series of dayhikes. It is doable, but I would recommend a four-wheel drive SUV type vehicle. It took four dayhikes to bag 10 - 4,000 footers. And although strenuous, it was certainly exhilarating. And if you prefer showers and a base camp I recommend Kingfield as a good base. I also climbed these peaks in a series of dayhikes back in 1981 and my photo album is on Webshots. Directions, photo albums, trip report of my AT trip is all attached from this link to Whiteblaze where my AT reports are. Happy reading.

Last edited:
Askus - thanks for the advice. I see that you completed the 3500`s on Westkill. I`m the trail stewart up there. I hope the trail was clear for you. :)