Hiking the Wright Ski Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdl

Reaction score
On Saturday, 4/3, my daughter and I decided to check out the Wright Ski Trail. She carried her snowboard and I alternated between skinning and carrying my skis. The old Marcy Trail had running water and from the Marcy Dam juncture to about 2900, the trail was pretty rough. After 2900 ft the snow was consistently good, one rock was showing through the snow right at the base of the ski trail. As we ascended the ski trail, my daughter with snowshoes and me skinning, I was amazed by the number of boot prints and postholes. At about 3600 ft we came across a family of five who were barebooting the trail. They said they didn't see the sign about Ski Trail and foot traffic prohibited. ARGGGGGGGGGG!!!!! The boot prints and postholes stopped around 3900 ft, so they never made it to the summit.

I truly am flabbergasted sometimes by the ignorance of people.

Anyway, coverage on the Wright Ski trail is still excellent.

Last edited:
They said they didn't see the sign about Ski Trail and foot traffic prohibited. ARGGGGGGGGGG!!!!! The boot prints and postholes stopped around 3900 ft, so they never made it to the summit.
Is this the same place where the sign says the trail does not go to the summit?

Is this the same place where the sign says the trail does not go to the summit?

Yes, it certainly is.

I can understand people starting out this time of year with their snowshoes on their packs, the trails are often bullet-proof in the morning. But post-holing as the day goes on (and the snow gets softer) never ceases to amaze me. Don't they realize it's easier on snowshoes? Saw three people summiting Marcy on Friday who didn't even carry snowshoes. They got an earful from pretty much everybody on skis. And on Wright - where it's specifically a ski trail? Oh well... I just ask 'em my standard question - "What part of 'skis or snowshoes required on all trails' do you think doesn't apply to you?"