Hiking to Tuckerman's

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skibones

Reaction score
A few of us wanted to hike to Tuckerman's tomorrow--not to ski, just to view the fun. Do you think we'll need any special equipment-stablicers, etc.??

Skimom and I were also up there on Saturday, enjoying the views, the skiing, the company and the Inferno atmosphere..oh yeah...and the beer!!!!

You can barefoot it, but i'd bring something to help with traction, itwas REALLY slippery going up and down. for every step you took going up, you took a half a slide back.

have fun!!!!

Last edited:
Carmel said:
You can barefoot it,

I was going to say something, but I have already reached my "jerk limit" this week.

I Hiked up Ammonoosuc to the ridge and out Crawford to Pierce on Sunday and needed both snowshoes and crampons throughout the day. Tuckerman’s might be packed out better.

traction ? who needs traction ?

If you can boot ski, you don't need traction. Such fun!

Then again, if you can't handle your 9% beer, some insteps might be helpful on the way down :eek:

On Saturday I left the snowshoes and winter double boots at the bottom. I was pleased that my risk-taking was rewarded with relatively firm footing, courtesy of the USFS snowcat, Carmel, ktilton, and 1497 other hikers. But given the temperatures since then, especially yesterday, I think I'd probably take the snowshoes tomorrow, "just in case." The AMC staff thinks so too today:

floatation "necessary" for Tuckerman Ravine trails.

Watch the sides of the trails. There are knee-wrenching opportunities in profusion that lie in wait.

sardog1 said:
On Saturday I left the snowshoes and winter double boots at the bottom. I was pleased that my risk-taking was rewarded with relatively firm footing, courtesy of the USFS snowcat, Carmel, ktilton, and 1497 other hikers. But given the temperatures since then, especially yesterday, I think I'd probably take the snowshoes tomorrow, "just in case." The AMC staff thinks so too today:

floatation "necessary" for Tuckerman Ravine trails.

Watch the sides of the trails. There are knee-wrenching opportunities in profusion that lie in wait.

Thanks for the info. I was hoping to bare boot, but we'll bring the snowshoes in case. Can't wait!!

One?? Heck no, we found two in the fridge :)

I figured they would be gone, but boys can be such lightweights ;)

Thanks Timmus!! .... I was thinking of you as we toasted !

Did the hike today and the trail was packed down. I carried my snowshoes up and bare booted it but on the return trip I used the snowshoes--they were helpful. I think I would have used snow crampons if I thought of bringing them--they would have provided the traction needed and would have eliminated the need of snowshoes since there was no loose snow.
Not too many skiers on tuckerman's. Probably most of the excitement is on the weekends.