hiking with prescription sunglasses

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just coming back to this thread. I bought plastic (non polycarbonate) #2 tinted bifocals. I was not able to get the wraparound sport frames when going the tinted route. So I needed to get a wire frame. I got them UVA and UVB filter coated. I'm very happy with them so far. The tint is enough for sunny days and also okay in shade. For instance I can walk indoors and not have to take them off. I did use an old prescription as I preferred a comfortable reading distance at belt level not closer and the most current prescription requires a closer reading distance.

One other little 'tweak' to this thread. More and more people are getting cameras with EVFs (electronic view finders), instead of optical view finders. I have a new, mirrorless interchangeable lens camera and the EVF is dark and unreadable with polarizing sunglasses.
It's difficult to find non polarized clip-on sunglasses that approximate the shape or your regular glasses. Getting non polarized, prescription sunglasses before the trip to RMNP this summer.

Fwiw, I went to contact lenses some thirty years ago. I used Cébé CE #4 and #5 (glacier glasses) for years, but the 4's were often too dark for driving. I decided to get back into serious fly fishing this year and decided I need a good pair of polarised glasses. I told my optician I would not pay for high end Bollé or Julbo (Cébé went bankrupt, perhaps because they refused to manufacture off-shore) that were made in Asia. I won't buy a name made in America or Europe that has been shipped off-shore. I'll buy a product that was developped and is made by the people that stand by it - I drive a Mitsubishi, but it's not called a Chevy.

The optician found me a pair of Serengeti sunglasses. The frame is made in Italy and the lenses by Corning. They are laminated, plastic (polarisation) between two layers of glass (photochromatic) - scratch resistant. They can be ordered to your prescription should you wish. They go to CE #2 to #3 and back very quickly. The difference between Serengeti and top line Bollé was 60 CAD.

I am very happy with them and believe they will not warp or scratch as did the cheap ones I used that barely lasted a season, if that.

I hope this helps.

Doug