Hiking with your K9

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bristol

Reaction score
I often thought that taking a dog on a long hike in the mountains was cruel. But after reading such a great trip report from Tom & Atticus, I almost wonder if I just worry to much about the dogs wellbeing.

I take my dog out on local hikes for a few hours at a time and often wondered what it would be like, and if she could handle, a highpeak. I would like to ask what precautionary measures some of you take when taking your K9’s along. Do you carry extra water, food, first aid items etc.? Do you have a contingency plan if your pooch gets hurt? What about encounters with wild animals. What are some health risks to be concerned with besides hypothermia and heat exhaustion/dehydration?

My dog is a mid-size greyhound/lab mix, and very healthy, goes bonkers whenever she sees me getting ready for a hike. I would really love to share at least one of the 46 with her, but I would not want to do anything that put her in harms way.

<mod hat>
Dog threads have a tendency to get heated, so this is a precautionary warning: Keep it civil.

-dave-
</mod hat>

Start off with a slow paced, short, easy hike and see how your pup does. When I hike with my black lab I keep a pretty close eye on him and make sure he drinks when I drink and check his paws for cuts & scrapes whenever I rest. I also carry food and feed him when I have a snack or sandwich.

I noticed on our first few hikes he would get over-excited and run ahead then turn around and run back and waste a lot of energy. He seems to have gotten better and will now stop & wait rather than turn around.

I always carry a leash and as I'm passed by other hikers will ask them if I should leash the dog.

Mostly, the advice is common sense: start with small peaks, so that you can see how your dog does, not only getting up the peak, but more importantly, how tired she is when she returns, and what her rest/recovery cycle needs are. When necessary, carry extra food and water for her. Invest in a pair of boots so that if a paw is cut/torn, you have some protection. Try these boots on at home so she becomes comfortable with them. Watch her reactions carefully, and give her rest/shade when needed: most people can readily see when their dog is cold, but sometimes miss overheating. Make sure she's having fun, not just following you around. And finally - some peaks in the ADK's don't allow dogs, like AMR land. Others have leash requirements - make sure you obey the local rules/regs.

Your dog is your best friend, but not everyone likes dogs, so be respectful of others rights. And, be watchful of other dogs. You may keep your dog safe, and leashed when near other people and dogs, but many don't, so figure out a strategy when this occurs. Repeated requests of "Please leash your dog" often go unheeded. The big fellow on the left (in the avatar) sometimes gets blindsided by little dogs - I guess in dog psychology the best defense is a good offense!

Enjoy - hiking with your dog can be one of life's great pleasures.

Last edited:
Dogs will try to keep up with you no matter how they are hurting, so watch for signs of distress and injury. Check the paws and see how your dog acts when you stop for a minute (excess panting, signs of pain or discomfort). My dog, now 13 and too old to hike, loved to lie down in streams (I always had her do this downstream from the best trail access points). Adequate hydration was essential so I stopped at every stream to make sure she could drink at leisure. Until she was about 9 I had her carry a dog pack with extra food and water.

I kept booties and baby socks in case of foot injury (when she did have a cut paw, it was hard keeping bandaging on with just booties, baby socks are snug enough to keep everything in place).

Most dogs love the trail and the partnership in getting around obstacles can be wonderful. There is a real sense of team work and mutuality. My dog would watch carefully as every person in our group made it over spots in the trail she found tricky.

Be sure your dog is well mannered and well behaved. S/he should be under control at all times. If your dog isn't safe unleashed in a high traffic area of the city, your dog shouldn't be unleashed on the trail. If you can't keep your dog from running off, bothering people, jumping on people, begging, etc... then you and the dog have work to do before going on the trail.

My wife and I have a 9 month old puppy and I'm working on getting her trail ready. I won't take her on the trail until I am confident that she can enjoy it safely and without bothering people or wild life. I have some dear friends who se company I enjoy on the trail, but they insist on bringing a very uncontrolled and ill mannered dog - so I avoid hiking with them.

Do you carry extra water, food, first aid items etc.? What about encounters with wild animals.

I worry most about dog-porcupine encounters. There are lots of porkies in the Catskills.

Extra water, dog food/snacks, dog bowl, leash

Bristol said:
Thanks Kevin

Where would I find these a pet store?
Bristol -

You're welcome. Here's a link you might check out. I'd also look at some of the chain stores, like Petsmart and Petco. REI carries them as well - mailorder would most likely be an option here as I don't think there any stores in the Canandaigua, NY area. I really like Ruff Wear's products - not that they have a boot that will actually fit a Newf (I ended up making my own from 1000d Cordura) but they were very responsive to my emails, and I later bought one of their safely vest/harnesses. Ruff Wear is sold in most catalogs/stores, or you order it direct. We've purchased many items over the years from the RC Steele catalog as well.

I find that my dog will not drink water unless it is from a stream, and pretty much refuses to drink at all in the winter. If it's cold out I bring some warm water flavored with beef broth or something to entice him to drink. Otherwise I think he gets terribly dehydrated.

He runs like crazy too, so I usually have to keep him on a leash. That is the rule though in most places. A lot of people disregard that rule/law and let their dogs run free. I personally am not opposed to that, however, there are a fair number of people who do not like dogs. If those people have a less than positive experience with an un-leashed dog on a trail, they are likely to complain to whoever manages that land. We all know the squeaky wheel gets the grease, and the grease is usually new rules not allowing dogs. Many national and state parks do not allow dogs at all.

So keep that in mind when you take your dog. I really hate keeping mine on a leash, but if the alternative is that he can't go at all, well, then leash it is.

All excellent suggestions. I would just emphasize having a dependable recall command in the face of distraction. The trail can be a lot more exciting than your backyard.

My other point is that I try to treat my canine companions as I would other human companions in my group with respect to being willing to modify plans based on abilities or desire that day. I have become increasingly aware of this hiking with my 10 year old lab. A few months ago we headed up the East Pond Trail from the Kanc. As the snow got deeper (>10") going up to the ridge, we noticed that she was expending a lot of energy, even though my 1 and 7 year dogs were having a great time. We turned back 0.5 a mile from the ridge and her mood almost immediately elevated.

Interestingly, last month we went up the Skook' to Garfield Ridge and she had no problems at all - packed out ice but no powder.

Sleeping Bear, great suggestion about the beef broth flavored water. I haven't run into the problem of my dog not drinking in the winter, but it sounds like a great treat for him to warm him up if he needs it.
My boy will drink water with chunks of ice in it and will even fish them out of whatever nearby body of water is available and chew on them.

Rivet said:
I worry most about dog-porcupine encounters. There are lots of porkies in the Catskills. . . .

For years while hiking with dogs (and hunting with them, too) I have carried a pair of good quality slip-joint pliers and leather work gloves, just in case of a porky encounter. Have had to use them a few times, and it is a nasty experience for pooch and master. A followup visit to the vet, just to be sure all quills are removed, is important.

In hiking with my dog(s) a leash always has been the best solution to preventing most encounter problems, from people to porkies and everything in between (or beyond).

G.

Great advice so far.

Precautionary measures: Definitely water. In the summer (if it's cool enough for my heavily coated dog to go hiking) it can be as much as a gallon - just for the dog.

Equipment specific to dog: Comb, tick remover, booties, vetrap, scissors (for trimming fur away from wound), pliers & wire cutters (for an off lead dog), spare leash, spare collar, muzzle (an injured dog may lash out), blanket in winter. In addition, for overnights, a closed cell foam sleeping pad, and a blanket, and of course kibbles. Rabies certificate. In some states, the collar tag is not considered proof of vaccination. On the collar, an id tag with dog's name, your complete name, and address; dog's town license tag; rabies tag. Information sheet in my pack regarding the dog, including alternate contact, vet, health issues, in case I am incapacitated and someone must care for him (same thing attached to dog's crate in car). If off lead, I would attach the same in a small baggie to the dog's collar, in case your dog runs away and is found by someone else. You might want to consider microchipping and/or tattooing as an additional measure of identification.

Contingency plans: for people with dogs small enough, get them accustomed to being carried. That way, if they are injured, they're already used to being carried and won't protest as much. My plan for Dugan four-legs, who outweighs me, is that I could (hopefully) rig a travois or drag with a tarp and my hiking poles.

Some special concerns for sighthound type dogs - this may apply depending on how "greyhoundy" your dog is. Sighthounds have very little body fat, and thus very little natural insulation. Most people realize this means they do not tolerate cold well. However, it also means they do not tolerate heat very well either. If your dog has the thin tight fitting skin more like a greyhound, it will be much more susceptible to cuts and scrapes. In addition, the cuts are apt to rip open further since the skin is tighter.

Overheating: watch the tongue. The warmer the dog, the thinner and wider the tongue (increases surface area to enhance cooling via evaporation).

Hypothermia: given that I like the big furry dogs, this is not one I know much about.

One caution - water ice - as in ice cubes from the freezer - you may want to disallow that. Water ice is dense and brittle enough that it can crack the dog's tooth enamel.

On lead vs off is a decision you have to make according to the dog. If you don't have a good amount of control by signal or voice, then the dog should remain on lead. There are some risks with off lead travel - your dog can run off, or it can get into trouble while out of reach (injured while running fast, porcupine, skunk, tangled in barbed wire, fall into an old well, step in an old leg hold trap, etc)

Another rule I try to follow is that my dog should not interfere with other people or animals (domesticated or wild), unless the people request that he do so (as in, "may I pet your dog"). I keep him a few feet away and yield trail space whenever possible. I don't allow him to chase wild life.

As for health risks, you could ask your vet to screen your dog for heart problems, and to manipulate joints to check for stability.

Physical conditioning should be gradual. Dogs can suffer from "weekend warrior" syndrome just as much as humans. Build mileage gradually, and keep a close eye on the dog so you learn your dog's body language for if he's too warm, too cold, tired, etc. Dogs can and will work themselves to death. It's up to the humans to be smart enough to keep them healthy.

How much a dog wants to hike can depend on the dog. I used to have a Pyr that would joyously accompany on +30 mile day hikes and be raring to go for our morning run the next day. I had another that would do a sit down and refuse to budge if a walk started approaching just a couple of miles - and yet she was completely sound.

Depending on your location, you might want to vaccinate against lyme disease. It is now considered endemic throughout much of southern New England.

And yes, as Kevin, said, approach other dogs with caution regardless of what their person says. On a walk at Wachusett a couple of years ago I found myself in a horrible situation with my dog being attacked by another. Yes, this was a real attack, the other dog put holes in Dugan's neck. It took 3 people to remove the dog from mine - Dugan four-legs was very lucky that a pair of hikers came along that were willing to involve themselves in this dangerous situation. The dog was off lead in an area that requires leads. The owner ignored several requests from me to leash the dog. I led Dugan who was on lead about 20 feet off the trail to allow them to pass. And the whole time her dog was attacking mine, the other person kept saying how friendly her dog was.

Good luck out there!

porkupines and flies

Grumpy said:
For years while hiking with dogs (and hunting with them, too) I have carried a pair of good quality slip-joint pliers and leather work gloves, just in case of a porky encounter. Have had to use them a few times, and it is a nasty experience for pooch and master. A followup visit to the vet, just to be sure all quills are removed, is important.
My wife was a vet tech for many years. When a porky-dog came in, there was only one way to treat it... pliers and strong arms of at least 2 people. With big dogs it can definitely be a problem, even with the owner present (sometimes that was not a good idea either). An ordinarily mild mannered dog can get pretty nasty, even with the owner unless sedated (the dog, not the owner). Funny thing, some dogs never learn from their first, or second, or third porky encounter. Must be they have a vendetta.

The other thing I haven't seen discussed here is biting bugs. Even if a dog has a heavy coat of fur, usually it is thin on their underbelly. Black flies will get in there and make hamburger, and also around the eyes where you can't apply repellent. Watch out during black fly and deer fly season.

I wanted to thank all of you for the great advice. I have learned about some new things that wouldn’t normally cross my mind like porcupines ouch. I will certainly keep all of these in mind even on my local hikes. I will admit though that after just getting home from seeing the movie “Eight Below” I don’t know if I will ever take her up now.

Your concern is admirable.. What is good for one dog isn't good for another. I had a black lab that went with me everywhere I did. She was a NH 4k hiker. A couple of times I was NOT a good parent, however. Specifically on Mt. Jefferson one summer day. The sharp rocks did carve up her paws some. I had the booties in my pack, and checked her feet often. However, one check later found some cuts. I was distraught over how much pain she must've been in and never made a peep.

I've run out of water before...I gave her my last drops until we could refill at a river.

My current dog isn't one who I can take in the winter. She's too thin and doesn't have a thick coat. She's great in the summer, and actually stays closer to me than my lab.

There is some great advise on here, nothing more to add other than to enjoy it, but you don't have to take them all the time. It's good to leave them home once in a while, so when you do go on a trip that isn't dog-friendly they may be more accepting of it (maybe not....).

Last edited:
Bug repellent

Good point, dug. Watch for fly bites in the thin fur of the belly, and the short hair around the eyes, nose, lips, and sometimes ear flaps. Black fly bites can look especially horrible on dogs - you might see a dime sized red patch on the dog's belly.

Trouble with using repellent, especially on the belly, is that the dog can lick it off. I just don't like the idea of my dogs ingesting DEET products.

A few years ago I found an herbal lotion called Bite Blocker. In side-by-side totally unscientific tests (I'd cover one arm in deet, the other in Bite Blocker), it seems to do about as well, but needed to be reapplied more frequently.

If you walk in the woods with your dog long enough, eventually you'll probably have a bad porky encounter. (Also skunk . . . ) I've pulled quills without any tool or helper, and also with an excellent pair of forceps and an equally excellent helper. The latter scenario is much preferred.

If you ever need to remove quills, cut them first if you can (as safely as possible with a squirming dog), before pulling the quills. The quill is hollow -- blood and other fluids flow up into it as a result, making the quill swell and causing the "barbed" end to distend and lodge more firmly. Cutting the end reduces the pressure and distension.

Regardless of whether you "know" that you got all the quills out, get to the vet for an examination. And watch the dog very carefully for the next seven to ten days for any signs of swelling, discomfort or scratching. Unnoticed quills can migrate far into the body and wreak infected havoc in the head and throat.

Last edited:
Insects

Just to chime in here too, I have hiked with a succession of three Yellow Labs over the past 15 years and found an insect repellant called "PetSafe" that does not contain DEET and has worked wonders. My dogs had an indoors/outdoors fenced dog run and used to lay outside and get bitten up by black flies in the spring. An early morning application of "PetSafe" seemed to help prevent all the sores from the bites. I bought my "PetSafe" from Russell Animal Hospital in Concord, NH. The Vet Tech that sold it to me confided that it works well for humans too, and I can attest that it indeed does. All my dogs were pretty hiked out by the time they turned twelve. My remaining male still does short hikes, but now I limit him to around four miles R/T locally while I do trail wurk.