Hillsound Trail Crampon Failure

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As the Hillsounds are newer to the market and a possible alternative to Katoohla Microspikes, I thought I would bring up my recent experience the the Hillsound Trail Crampons. DO NOTE THIS IS NOT IN REGARDS TO THE TRAIL CRAMPON PRO.

During a long hike this past weekend (So Twin N Twin Galehead and Garfield). I had two different failures on a pair of Hillsounds, both at the heel. The conditions were not that bad for trail crampons as the rocks were mostly snow covered for the majority of the hike, with the failures occuring up hill from an area that was less than ideal (spotty snow and ice cover on rocks). The first failure was a traditional rip of the rubber eyelet that happens on occasion to microspikes. The second failure on the other pait was the link that goes through the rubber eyelet disapeared. Both in identical places on the outward side of the boot probably the point with most exposure.

The Hillsounds are about 14 months old and get used frequently but when inspected near the begining of this season had no signs of issues. I do have new boots in the last two weeks but they are nothing unusual (columbia bugaboots) and were within the stated size range of the crampons when pruchased. I do note that they now offer a size XXlarge on their website and have dropped the recommended sizing of their extra larges to size 12 (i wear a size 13) so I expect this may be a sizing issue.

I will be in touch with them and see what sort of service they support. Their stated warranty is 12 months but given that they appear to have swapped the sizing around I expect its a fundamental design flaw that they undersized the originals.

I do have a pair of Katoohlas in reserve, but I do like the Hillsounds as they are better on hard ice plus the velcro strap is a nice improvement that keeps the spikes on. I will note that even with the failures, they stated on for the entire hike.

An update for those who dont want to read they thread, they asked me to send them a pciture of the damage and they will send me a new pair. They also have revised their sizing since I bought them.

Last edited:
...I do like the Hillsounds as they are better on hard ice plus the velcro strap is a nice improvement that keeps the spikes on. I will note that even with the failures, they stated on for the entire hike.

Just a thought, velcro straps are easy to add to the Katoohla's, and you can even choose the reflective type.

quick ties work great on the trail when an eyelet on either a microspike or hillsound breaks.

i've sucessfully repaired the eyelet on my micro's with crazy glue. got another year out of them before they got too dull for use.

chains snagging on roots really plague both of these traction aids.

chains snagging on roots really plague both of these traction aids.

And I thought it was just me. :eek: Yeah, I have twice recently walked out of my Microspikes, when the chains got snagged on roots. My hiking partner looked at me quite quizzically, having never seen this happen before.

Marty

Last edited:
My Microspikes are now too dull for my comfort in steeper icy terrain, and I just bought the Hillsound Pro but haven't used them yet.

I've only seen one person walk out of her Microspikes, and she didn't even know it. I get a lot of thanks by being last in a line of friends, picking up the things that fall out of their packs (waterbottles) or things they forget (poles).

I "Hot-rodded" my spikes last year after repeated front slippage. Works ok, but an added step when putting them on......

SAM_0833.JPG

fyi
Petch

An update, their customer service e-mail bounces as invalid and no one picks up their customer service phone (Phone tree with no opt out).

Doesnt sound good for hopes of getting some customer service.

I am aware that adding a strap would be easy to do to microspikes, but that doesnt get me the improved traction associated with the Hillsounds. Its quite noticeable in group situation where I am tromping up ice flows in the trail while others are tip toeing to avoid the ice.

A few other posted at the same time - I have seen several folks walk out of their microspikes. I beleive part of the issue is that they can hang loose under the boots which makes them far more likely to catch, thus the strap across the instep or Petch's solution.

By the way we did encounter some "snowballing" conditions at points thei past weekend and I expect regular crampons would have had worse issues.

Last edited:
I am aware that adding a strap would be easy to do to microspikes, but that doesnt get me the improved traction associated with the Hillsounds. Its quite noticeable in group situation where I am tromping up ice flows in the trail while others are tip toeing to avoid the ice.

I agree, and would recommend something more than the Microspikes to the more frequent winter hikers.

Tip toeing around helps to widen a trail, which is not a good thing. Neither is creating a new herd path to avoid a bad section. As I wrote in my recent trip report to N-S Pack Monadnock, the real answer is more snow!

An update, their customer service e-mail bounces as invalid and no one picks up their customer service phone (Phone tree with no opt out).

Doesnt sound good for hopes of getting some customer service.

A few other posted at the same time - I have seen several folks walk out of their microspikes. I beleive part of the issue is that they can hang loose under the boots which makes them far more likely to catch, thus the strap across the instep or Petch's solution.

By the way we did encounter some "snowballing" conditions at points thei past weekend and I expect regular crampons would have had worse issues.

I used hillsound pros this weekend, no snowballing :)

Try hillsound's Facebook page --- they update it almost everyday --- I've left feedback and they have been responsive. (shameless ploy to
Get you to finally join Facebook, D! )

And I thought it was just me. :eek: Yeah, I have twice recently walked out of my Microspikes, when the chains got snagged on roots. My hiking partner looked at me quite quizzically, having never seen this happen before.

Marty

At least you didnt fall flat on your face like I did on N Kinsman last year:eek:

Another Update - They must go to work late in BC. I called back and got a real person :). They have swapped their sizing around in the last year.

They asked me to send them an e-mail of the ripped rubber and my address and they will send me a new set. :)

So they do appear to have good customer service

I will edit my original post to reflect the update

Last edited:
They asked me to send them an e-mail of the ripped rubber and my address and they will send me a new set. :)

So they do appear to have good customer service

Congratulations! Glad to know everything is working out with a positive result.

:)

Snowballing???

Funny you should mention the snow-balling. I purchased a pair of the Hillsound Trail Crampons and have used them on two hikes this winter. Conditions were typical for the winter in NH White Mts thus far. I experienced snow-balling on both hikes. Shallow snow and ice with thin ice in center of the trail. On one trip out to Mt Isolation we encountered shallow snow and thin wet ice conditions in the middle of the trail. Snow-balling became a problem. Majority of the folks in our party of 10 had Microspikes. I didn't notice anybody stopping to knock the snowballs off their boots. I asked at least 3 if they were having trouble with snowballing and they said no. It was pretty annoying having to stop as frequently as I had to to knock the snow-balls off. It was like walking with round balls fastened to bottoms of your boots. So while the spikes may indeed be longer, the spikes are frequently made useless by the snowballs.

The circular metal ring seems to trap snow and ice where it builds up - never had this issue with Microspikes after using them dozens of times. Balls were forming on both front and back circular rings.

This might be a really stupid question but would it help snowballing if we used WD40 or Pam so the snow would not adhere. I use it on my x-country boot bar and bindings and it works beautifully. '

Would it effect the crampon in a negative way causing it to lose traction?

I think it all depends on conditions. Towards the later part of the day this past Saturday we had snowballing problems on Msr's, Tubbs Alps, Microspikes. Tubbs Trk Flex and Hillsound Pro were fine.

If Hillsound can manage to put the anti snow ball pads (that are on the Pro) on the trail crampon model- they would have an advantage over microspikes.

Maddy- odor, trace pollutants - reasons I personally would not want to wd40 my traction, but it might work. I'd never thought of putting something like glide wax on my micros - hmmmm....interesting!

When the snow gets sticky enough - any traction can snowball. Keeping out of puddles seems to help :)

Funny you should mention the snow-balling. I purchased a pair of the Hillsound Trail Crampons and have used them on two hikes this winter. Conditions were typical for the winter in NH White Mts thus far. I experienced snow-balling on both hikes. Shallow snow and ice with thin ice in center of the trail. On one trip out to Mt Isolation we encountered shallow snow and thin wet ice conditions in the middle of the trail. Snow-balling became a problem. Majority of the folks in our party of 10 had Microspikes. I didn't notice anybody stopping to knock the snowballs off their boots. I asked at least 3 if they were having trouble with snowballing and they said no. It was pretty annoying having to stop as frequently as I had to to knock the snow-balls off. It was like walking with round balls fastened to bottoms of your boots. So while the spikes may indeed be longer, the spikes are frequently made useless by the snowballs.

The circular metal ring seems to trap snow and ice where it builds up - never had this issue with Microspikes after using them dozens of times. Balls were forming on both front and back circular rings.

Snowballing issues

After reading others recent trip reports I'm noting others having the snowball problems with microspikes too. Big problem is lack of powder snow conditions. I was trying to stay out of trail puddles to reduce the snowballing. I actually like many of the features of the Hillsounds, so I won't discard them just yet.

As to comments about WD40, you could use Pam or other cooking oil spray. I just bought a new snowblower (I may be responsible for the lack of snow) and one salesperson and later others who seemed quite knowledgeable suggested spraying Pam spray in the chute when snow is wet and sticky to prevent the chute from getting plugged up. Wow! Technology transfer!:p

...As to comments about WD40, you could use Pam or other cooking oil spray. I just bought a new snowblower (I may be responsible for the lack of snow) and one salesperson and later others who seemed quite knowledgeable suggested spraying Pam spray in the chute when snow is wet and sticky to prevent the chute from getting plugged up. Wow! Technology transfer!:p

I'd be amazed if either WD40 or vegetable oil works. I've tried both in snowblowers in the past - absolutely no effect that I could tell.

Warranty, snowballing, etc

I've had a pair to the Hillsound Trail Crampons for a year now -- I've only made light use of them until a recent trip up Passaconaway. I ran into the same problem with snowballing at a couple points during the hike -- not surprisingly, mostly on areas of wet snow.

It seems to me that the open areas on the crampon plates are too small to be retrofitted with any other brand's (that I know of) anti-snowballing plates. So, I wonder if the concave surface of some hollow rubber ball, cut to size, would work? Perhaps affixed with duct tape from both sides as a prototype? I'd have to look at them abit more to determine how affect a more permanent attachment.

I'm glad to hear that you've had good luck with Hillsound's warranty dept -- I was wondering the same thing in case mine suffer the same fate. Given they changed their sizing, it sounds as if they are open to negotiation on the exact warranty period?

Thanks for making this posting.
--LivesToHike