Hking by myself

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd try hiking with a friend for a bit. As you become more accustomed to being out in the woods, the sounds you hear will be expalinable and not seem as creepy. Anyone can get spooked if you think enough crazy what ifs. A hiking partner for awhile might keep your mind from wandering down that path. Then try out short open hikes where you can see most everything around you. Then try some on your own. But anytime you go to a strange place and off light or odd weather conditions can leave your mind playing games with your good sense. All you can do is pull up the fears and look at them rationally. Is something likely to be there or not?
Have fun, I doubt that you'll stay spooked for long, too much other cool stuff to concentrate on seeing and doing.

I have this same problem. The other day I was hiking alone, it was about 6:20pm. I hike the trails around the rocks at Purgatory. Anyway, there I was walking along the trails and over near the rocks were 4 young guys drinking and smoking. I usually hike alone and normally I enjoy it very much but for the first time I thought to myslelf oh my gosh what if they decided to follow me and start chasing me (either to harm me or just to mess with me) I thought what would I do. All these thoughts went racing through my head and I spent the whole rest of the damn hike looking over my shoulder paranoid. I couldn't even enjoy my hike, I just thought please let me hurry up and get to the end of the loop. I too like to hike alone and I do carry a small knife with me but I was still scared. Anyway, for me it is not the animals that scare me (at least not there at Purgatory anyway) or the noises so it isn't a matter of sitting and listening or getting comfortable with the surroundings of nature. It is the simple fact that I am a female and if a male or a group of males wanted to they could rape me or kill me or whatever. I can't have pets because my son is allergic to dander but I did think okay maybe I could find a friend or someone that I know who has a dog that wouldn't mind letting me take it with me for my walks there.

Seems that many share your situation.

What I haven't seen yet that has made a HUGE difference for me is having my own special park:

I have been walking the trails at the same wooded piece of land (about six square miles of walkable land) for 25 years. Every year, I find the new spaces I haven't found before, and I spend the rest of the time visiting the places I love. I have become so intimate with this land that I feel I know it like my own home.

To keep it fresh, I explore a new section (I'm almost out of those) or, more lately, go at night or add other odd variations. I also have begun bushwacking, which has really opened it up, too.

What all this has added up to is a familiarity (without contempt) that makes me feel very at-home in the outdoors. Like others, I enjoy sitting quietly off-trail and letting the forest come back alive after I've settled into the background.

Lastly, I have added the trekking poles (for my knees), which give me security for other people's dogs. I don't really fear the people, but dogs can be unpredictable. The poles solve the last nagging problem I had in this area, and I really feel comfortable now.

All of this has translated well into solo hiking up-country. I was alone at the Wild River campsites last November, cut off in a blowing snowstorm that took down trees across the access road. Was I freaked? No, it was a tremendous blast! Walking along those trails around camp at midnight in a snowstorm, knowing there was no way anyone else could be there, well, it was a real thrill.

If you have a favorite place near your home that you can explore in a psychologically safe way, it can work wonders.

Hope this all helps,

--M.

Some fears are hard to allay or write off. Obviously you could be with a couple other people but these guys could be bigger. Its near impossible to protect yourself from a random act of violence be it in the woods or in the city. Common sense can help reduce the likelihood but I don't think there is any sure way to be safe all the time. The fact you are out on the trail greatly reduces the chances you'll be mugged statistically but obviously it still happens. I guess it's just one of those things ya have to live with to one extent or another. Not much fun to feel that way though, I'm sure. But you could get hit by a random bolt of lightning too. I don't know that a bigger knife or the neighbor's dog would make ya any safer. Might make ya feel safer though. Who knows?

This is about having fun. If you're not comfortable soloing, then why do it? I love to solo hike but it isn't for everyone. Join the AMC. In each months magazine, there is an extensive listing of hikes for all levels of experience and abilities. The hikes are lead by experienced leaders and you will defnitely not find yourself alone. In fact, you might wish for more solitude than you can find with a group.

Glenn

GlennS said:
...If you're not comfortable soloing, then why do it? ....

Because you want to be able to....

I started off afraid of the boogeyman. Literally. Everything freaked me out. I was afraid of the dark and ran from wierd people and things that couldn't have been there. I was a basket case! But, determined not to be. In my case, I felt the fear of the unknown could not overrule my desire to be out there.

Nevermind, I think you can get yourself into more trouble worrying about what's NOT there than not paying attention to what IS there. You need to be focusing on what IS: your environment, the trail, essentially the task at hand. Not all the "maybes".

I never worried as much with my dog(s) along, but on my own, I forced myself to get past what bothered me. It was like an exercise in exorcising my demons. Using a lot of the methods mentioned previously, I worked my way up to solo overnighting. That was a personal achievement for me. Chicken Little Solo-ed. That was huge. Overall, I ended up hiking by myself a lot, including hiking over 60% of the NH 4Ks solo.

My only specifc advice would be that if the tight stuff concerns you, particularly at dawn, dusk, or in the dark -- sing. Really. It will spook off any critters nearby that might startle you. Heck, I sang everything I could remember coming out in the dark. And nowadays, my singing would scare off anything!

Thank you all for the helpful responses. I really appreciate it. This is quite a group you have here.
As I originally stated in when I first posted here, I have limited exposure to the trails. I have been up Mt. Lafayette alone and Greylock a few times alone. My point is that each time I have gone, I am battling the paranoia. But, obviously, I am trying to get beyond it because I do enjoy the woods, and I keep wanting to return.
When I saw the momma bear and two cubs the time I was on the Oliverian Brook trail, I kinda freaked out and we ( wife and kids) got out of there in a hurry. But, on the other hand it was a very memorable experience. I seem to have a knack of running in to wildlife often, although accidentally, of course. The moose at Black Pond was another example of just being there at the right time.
So it appears the theme here is to get out there and overcome and then enjoy.
Thanks for making a greenhorn feel welcome, Eric

Redcloud,
Maybe wear a Bear Bell while solo. I use one when I hike with My Wife, She's petrified of bears!! I have the one with the silencer on it and sometimes when solo and I have that creepy feeling, I also use it. Without the bell We walked right up to a bear in the Shawanagunks once while on a hike to Mud Pond. All We saw was his rear end running as fast as he could, but She's still afraid!!

Red Cloud,

Like many here i've done and do quite a bit of solo hiking and backpacking due to scheduling and odd days off. But it's a special feeling once you get used to it. Because you have limited trail time it may just be a matter of more time on the trail to increase your comfort level.

I'm pretty much right in your backyard if you'd like to hitch up for some hikes to just get more time on the trails, do some new ones, and increase your comfortzone drop me a line.

KenC

Redcloud,
You suffer from the same problem as most begginers do, your civilized, you where raised outside of the woods. The best cure is to just spend more time "out there" you will adapt and your senses and fears wil evaporate with time and experience. There are few things to fear in the woods. As far as animals there are only 2 that still scare me as a soloist Grizzles and Lions, these are not an issue in the east. Ive seen many black bear in NH while hiking, never had a problem, there not meat eaters, the main concern is cubs, if you see cubs get away from them quickly and you wil be fine.
Also as asoloist IM always carefull. make proper desicions as you need to help yourself if something comes up. After soloing for 20 yrs Im still here, although there was one time a lion seem to want to change that. ;)

My intention here is not to scare people away from the forest nor to make them fear black bears, but Sierra's post begs for a comment.

sierra said:
Redcloud,
You suffer from the same problem as most begginers do, your civilized, you where raised outside of the woods. The best cure is to just spend more time "out there" you will adapt and your senses and fears wil evaporate with time and experience. There are few things to fear in the woods. As far as animals there are only 2 that still scare me as a soloist Grizzles and Lions, these are not an issue in the east. Ive seen many black bear in NH while hiking, never had a problem, there not meat eaters, the main concern is cubs, if you see cubs get away from them quickly and you wil be fine.
Also as asoloist IM always carefull. make proper desicions as you need to help yourself if something comes up. After soloing for 20 yrs Im still here, although there was one time a lion seem to want to change that. ;)
"there (sp.) not meat eaters"
Where the heck did you get that idea. Black bears are omnivores...Black bears eat plants AND meat, including humans occasionally.

As far as the cubs, I don't know of a single case in the Eastern U.S. of a person being attacked by a black bear defending it's cubs. Black bears don't behave in the same way grizzlies do.

excerpts from Dave Smith's immensely practical book Don't Get Eaten.

By the way, I hiked Owl's Head yesterday evening. It was dark before I got back to the Franconia Brook Trail. I left my headlamp in my pack and hiked out in near total darkness, roughly 5-6 miles. Yes there were a few times I was briefly scared, but it was a great hike just the same. When learning to control your fears, like a lot of activities, Practice Makes Perfect.

gee thanks for helping me with my spelling, very thoughtfull of you. Black bears eat people huh, could you and your vast knowledge of black bears site some cases for me, Ive never heard of a black bear eating someone, black bears will eat meat but it would be dead when they find it.
As far as black bears defending thier( is that better)cubs that my friend is a commen fact and your disbelief in that very point leaves your knowledge of BB questionable at best. Have a nice day.

Actually....we had a case north of Montreal about 25 years ago. Some kids were camping out in LaVerenderie (sp?) Park and a BB dragged one out of the tent and did eat him, alive no less. The newspapers went nuts over that one! We had a canoe trip planned to the exact same area right after that and everbody but everybody thought we were total idiots for going anyway. As it was we had the place to ourselves.

ok, I conceed that it has happened, if you will conceed that it it so rare, that it is not worth mentioning to someone who is a beginner and worried about being eaten himself.

Humans: There not just for breakfast anymore...

It is an irrational fear...but that does not stop me from worrying about when I hike alone...and it keeps me from camping alone outside of campgrounds...

I am pretty sure no one has been eaten by a bear in NH since the 18th century. There was a young boy that died last year, but that was from a heat condition and being frightened - not by actually being attacked.

It is the size and the strength of the animal that matters to me...the fact that if a bear wanted to eat me there would not be a hell of a lot I could do about it... :eek:

I should carry Habanero Pepper Sauce so at least I could make it unpleasant for the offending bear! :D

At the risk of being labeled a gun freak, might I suggest you take a course in gun safety and purchase a small handgun to carry with you. It's really just a psychological crutch but it might help. Carrying it unloaded is probably the best idea - it's just there to make you fell better.

sapblatt said:
I should carry Habanero Pepper Sauce so at least I could make it unpleasant for the offending bear! :D
Careful--the bear might like hot food. :)

Users of pepper spray are advised NOT to spray it around and to clean the nozzle after use. Otherwise bears may come to investigate the interesting scent.

Pepper spray is only useful on bears when sprayed directly in their faces (the high concentration is required to irritate the eyes and mucous membranes).

Remember, in the NE, as long as you exercise reasonable care, you are far less likely to be hurt by a bear than by a car, pet dog, or another human.

Doug

newjeep123 said:
At the risk of being labeled a gun freak, might I suggest you take a course in gun safety and purchase a small handgun to carry with you. It's really just a psychological crutch but it might help. Carrying it unloaded is probably the best idea - it's just there to make you fell better.

If that was directed at me...I would rather get eaten by a bear than carry a gun...to each their own...

sapblatt said:
If that was directed at me...I would rather get eaten by a bear than carry a gun...to each their own...
A small handgun has little chance of stopping a bear.

Its basic use would be to shoot oneself in preference to experiencing the bear attack (or bluff attack). :)

Doug

The problem with bears in the NE is mostly becuase theyare habituated to humans. They view us as a source of food ,not as food usually and will find one way or another to get it. Usually when they think we are not going to stop them . Though I was unnerved once by a bear that sat about 40 ft from whre I was resting on the lower part of the bondcliff trail and gave me the impression it was almost trying to get me to feed it . It took off very fast at that , as soon As I stood up to get my 70 -300 zoom out of the pack . It would have made a great photo .
As for carrying a hand gun one would need a very large caliber weapon to stop a bear. a .40 caliber or larger they are not small or light nor are they inexpensive. A small caliber weapon would only make the bear more agitated, with a very rare exception .
un habituated bears will avoid humans most of the time. Your greatest dangers are driving to and from the trailhead.