How bad are the Ladders on Willey?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pedxing

Reaction score
I'm thinking of signing up for Willey for September's Flags on the 48. For me, this is ambitious because I'm recovering from injuries and a lengthy hospital stay. Can I count on the ladders being functional in September?

Holy Moses! Are you THE Pedxing? Wow. Hero worship time....

I did Willey last year for the flags on 48. I don't remember any ladders on the route that I took. It was a relatively short and easy climb. I can not hike when it is over 70 F, and I did this one with out too much trouble.

I'll look through my hiking notes, and see if there is anything relevant there for you.

Amadeus

As I recall, they aren't so much ladders as stairs. I do remember it being very steep - in fact it seemed like the mountain kept growing before me. Every time I looked up there was more up! I have to say that it was one of my least favorite hikes of the 48 4Ks!

Here's a photo or two or three from a hike in 2001. There are a few rungs that are probably in pretty bad shape, but otherwise it seemed pretty solid.

-dave-

Hey Dave, has anyone told you that you're a genious, lately?
I was going to reply that I don't remember any ladders, but your photos brought back all of the memories.
By back side, I think Gris means go up Mt. Field first, then head south on the Willey Range Trail. Longer, but easier.
Have fun.

Willey's Ladders

Willey in NH, of the Willey Range? I did that in the dark from the direction of Field and Tom and there were no ladders. It was a very easy and rolling ridge hike. Even the ascent up the AZ Trail was easy.

Glad to see you are out and about- I read some posts from Summitpost re; your accident. I never met you- but I still wish you a continuing and speedy recovery. It's the one thing I fear most- home fires. I nearly burnt down the house when I was 5, playing at pioneer women with my sister. If you are looking for company on your hike up Willey- let me know. I always love to return to a good Mountain.:)

Happy Trails

I did Willey earlier this spring and it is one of my favorites to date but I preffer climbing to hiking up on flat trails if you know what I mean. The timbers on the ladders were in pretty tough shape. On the day we were there we saw a chopper flying low... On the way down we found a piece of marker tape and went off trail just a few feet and found a rather large stack of amc marked timbers. I don't know if they are installed yet but I can't imagine they would leave them there for that long.
if anyone has been up since they may be able to tell you if the work has been done. Boots:)

Thanks all, for the input and the pictures. I'll keep watching trail condition reports for updates.

Woodstrider - I'd love to have you along - lets keep in touch.

Fuzzy - I guess I'm setting out to follow in your footsteps.

This will give me a good concrete goal to keep in mind as I work on my rehab. Summitting a 4k peak will mark a certain level of closure. I snowshoed Pierce and Jackson the day before the fire.

Good to see you're back hiking, Dave. I was horrified after hearing the news last year after the Pierce hike. So glad you're on the mend.

I'm doing a Willey/Field/Tom point to point (via the Ethan Pond/Kedron FLume/Willey Range/A-Z) this Saturday and will be happy to note condition, etc of the ladders.

Is there anything special I should look for?

Tom (Frosty)

PedXing: So good to hear that you are back on the trail! I need to shake your hand a second time soon!

I was on Tom/Field/Willey while you were on Jackson and Pierce back in February. I can attest that the hike up to Willey from the direction we took (Avalon to AZ to Willey Range) is not steep, and quite pleasant. The route down from Willey toward Ethan Pond is very steep, relentless, and was for me painful :( It is a tough climb by any standards.

I hope to see you after the FOT48 hike (s/b on Monroe with alpinista as she finishes her 48) at wherever the crew lands (likely the Station)

Again, so good to have you back out there!

Actually, the location of the Fot48 post-hike gathering, while not yet fixed, is likely to be the Mooseland, not the Station, so don't make any plans yet...

Follow the saga or post your opinions here

Trip report

From two days ago:

Trail crews are in the process of adding/replacing ladders on the Willey Range Trail (about a half mile below the summit, I'm guessing), and that section was a mess.

Our best wishes to you on a speedy recovery!