How likely is it to have snow in the Presidentials in early October?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aesop74

Reaction score
I am planning my vacation for the first week in October and I would like to plan ahead. We are spending Oct. 1 - 4 in the Presidentials covering a variety of peaks including a long loop over Jefferson, Adams and Madison in a single day.

I see that the annual mean snowfall for the entire month of October is in the range of 14 inches with only 2 inches in September. However last year there was a ton of snow in October. What do you think I might encounter up there?

Thanks all.

You might well have gorgeous sunny days with near-peak foliage and not a trace of snow

You might also have enough snow on the ground to be a hassle in walking and camping in tents

You should expect freezing temps overnight and be prepared for icy spots on the trail particularly early and late

You are unlikely to encounter any significant snow. I wouldn't plan on bringing crampons, and certainly not snowshoes. A pair of creepers or instep crampons might be good insurance, but I doubt you'll need them. Warm clothing and sleeping bag is more important, IMO. And a full set of winter gloves/mitts/hats.

Granted, there may be a snowstorm in Oct that would require you to change your plans. The big storm last year happened at the end of Oct, but earlier storms are certainly possible. Still, the first week of Oct is not even prime leaf season, there will probably be nothing on the ground except colored leaves.

-dave-

I hate to say the generic cliche' of "anything can happen" is probably true. Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. Best of luck.

In hiking in the Whites at that time of year over most of the last 15 years, ground snow has not been an issue.

Light snow squalls usually backdropped by sunlight has been the only white stuff encountered.

Cheers!

Many times the footing can be worse with small amounts of snow or a thin covering of ice. I turned back from Jefferson at the end of September due to a covering of ice (and I had no traction). I would definitely suggest stabilicers (they're great for thin ice and changing conditions). Remember the conditions at the trailhead won't predict what you will encounter above 4500'.

My motto is it is better to be prepared.

Have fun it is a great time of year....you could even need shorts.

I'm with Rols on this. You have to be prepared for anything. I have seen light snow on a couple of hikes over the past several years during early October. The snow was a bit heavier during October last year. :cool:

Woody

You don't have much to worry about in early Oct. I have been organizining trips to climb Katahdin up in N. Maine almost every year for the past 12 years during this time and we have had little snow/ice problems. It actually is one of the best times of the year to hike. No bugs, no humidity, foliage is peaking., moose are rutting... it doesn't get much better...

As for a more "concrete" reference: Check out the RMC's Gray Knob weather conditions:

http://www.randolphmountainclub.org/sheltersinfo/weatherconditions.html

They don't have Oct listings (which means typically no significant conditions problems), but they do have Nov-April condtions.

Bottom line though, you have to evaluate what the current conditions are just before your trip, which could be anything... (but should be good) :)

first week of october, 2003

10/early/03 there was a lot of ice from 4000' on up in the Great Gulf, and by the top of Mt. Washington there was significant and difficult snow. It happens.

As others have said, snow is usually not an issue in early October. However, what can be a bit of a problem anytime after late September is an icing condition just below treeline to just above in the morning hours (prior to about 11AM), and the Presi's often have this condition. The rocks can be coated with ice - it's called verglas, and on the highway it's called 'black ice' because it's hard to see and very slippery. It's caused by condensation so can/does occur even in good weather. It you've got a pair of light crampons - like 4 or 6 points - it's a good idea to slip them in your pack. It can make the difference of getting up trails like Ammo safely or slipping/skidding around.

After about 11AM the sun is usually strong enough to melt the stuff so the return is not a problem. It's a condition that frequently occurs on the upper Ammo, because the nearby brook (outflow from Lakes of the Clouds) is a ready source of moisture.

I'd say that significant snow would probably not be a problem. Here is an interesting link that includes the October 4, 1987 storm that I remember fondly: northeast weather

I know you asked about the Presidentials, but last year in the Daks, I was on a weekend backpack trip in mid October. I don't remember the exact dates, possibly second week of October.

Marcy was icy, and we camped near the Panther Gorge Lean-To. Woke up in the morning with about 6 inches of snow. There were 8 to 10 inches on top of Haystack.

We weren't prepared for the snow. No snowshoes, crampons etc. However, it was not too treacherous. Thankfully.

Obviously, keep an eye on the forecasts.

Snow

Thanks all. To address some of the comments above, I do have stabilizers and plan to bring them with. I've encountered the morning ice that a few people mentioned in the Catskills and it definately does slow you down. I am not going to be camping so I don't need to think about a zero degree bag or overnight amenities. We are going for a long distance loop using Randolph Path in the morning then the Gulfside to Adams and then on to Madison going back to Appalachia on the Air Line. Should be a great day as long as the weather holds.

Here is a picture from the Garfield Ridge Trail from the 1st week in October a few years ago. I was gald that I brought the tent instead of the hammock!!