How long does a sleeping bag last?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dory

Reaction score
I've had my trusty synthetic 20 degree bag since 1993. It was my first real backpacking bag, I've always kept it hanging when not in use. It seems fine and has served me well. I'm a rock climber, so I'm used to replacing ropes every few years, etc. and I guess I'm just wondering if I should be retiring the old bag for a new one.

Does it still keep you warm? Then keep it.

A lot of synthetic fabrics are susceptible to weakening from UV damage, but if the tent you use it in hasn't fallen apart yet, your sleeping bag should be OK. Inspect the seams once a year if you're worried about it.

Ropes take a ton of abuse and are hard to inspect (it's the inner core [of a dynamic rope] that bears the weight), so given their importance it's a good idea to replace them after a while. Harnesses also take a lot of abuse and are just as important, and even though they're pretty easy to inspect and test, many older, wiser, and better climbers than me like to replace them too. I draw the line at sleeping bags, however. If it ain't broke don't toss it. (Upgrading, now, that's a whole other story :D )

Chip is right about loft, but you'll know when it's not keeping you warm anymore.

Dory; I have had my 20deg down bag for 6-8 years. It's tired but it still works quite well. I think as long as there isn't some traumatic event like a flood or animal attack they can really live a long and productive life.

Chip; thanks, now I'm gonna start seeing those girls out of the corner of my eye down every hallway for like a week.

Keep the bag as long as it keeps you warm. And if it begins to lose some insulation, you can just limit it to somewhat warmer nights and get some more use out of it.

I have a semi-rectangular duck-down bag that is 35+ years old. I have used it both outdoors and indoors (I sleep in it in winter in an unheated bedroom) for a total of 2000-3000 nights. It is losing some loft near the head end (probably from facial oils), but is otherwise still quite usable (at a somewhat warmer temp rating).

Synthetic bags don't last as long as down bags (I've seen estimates of up to 1/3 the lifetime of down), but the first paragraph still applies.

Doug

Fortunately, with the synthetic bag, a failure would not be as sudden and catastrophic as with a climbing rope :eek: Wear for a synthetic sleeping bag is more like the wear for a pair of running shoes. You don't really realize it's a problem until you notice it's not really doing its job. Then, when you try a replacement in the store (or by borrowing someone else's), you see what you've been missing. So keep using the bag, treating it well by letting it stay lofted between trips, and you'll likely be fine for awhile. Replace when comfort has disappeared or you can't figure out what else to do with your tax refund. :D

use a liner

Dory said:
I've had my trusty synthetic 20 degree bag since 1993. It was my first real backpacking bag, I've always kept it hanging when not in use. It seems fine and has served me well. I'm a rock climber, so I'm used to replacing ropes every few years, etc. and I guess I'm just wondering if I should be retiring the old bag for a new one.
I have a cold weather down bag I bought in 1973 and it seems to be as lofty and warm as ever. Your bag will last a lot longer if you use a lightweight liner. I started years ago using a cotton sheet sewn together to form an inner bag, before I graduated to using a silk liner with all my sleeping bags. It weighs next to nothing and adds a few degrees of warmth to any bag in addition to keeping your expensive down clean. On warm nights when whatever bag I have brought with me is too much, the liner by itself may be all I need to crawl into, thus expanding my comfort options.

Keep it clean, and store it fully fluffed by hanging or very loose in an oversized cotton storage bag. It should last a very long time.

i have two 30 year old down bags, never been washed. :eek: they work fine, things are so hot i rarely zip the thing up.strickly winter bags. got it for 150.00 bucks off R.E.I. in washington state,long before they became nationwide :D

This brings up an "old story" for me as well. I still use my Gerry 20 F mummy that I bought in 1971 at the yearly EMS Sale on Comm Ave. We thumbed in and camped out on the sidewalk. I tried out several bags and the only one I could afford was the regular version even though I really needed the long. It was $15 more and I only had enough for the regular. I finally decided to go with the smaller one and the guy who was helping us out said he'd put the bags away for us while I counted out my money. (I was fifteen and worked all summer out to sea on a fishing boat to scrape up the $80 for the bag). When we got back home and I opened up my bag there was the long bag in the regular stuff sack! :cool: I never got that guy's name but I'll certainly never forget him and I think of him every time I use it. Seriously good Karma in that bag!
Bob

REK said:
This brings up an "old story" for me as well. I still use my Gerry 20 F mummy that I bought in 1971 at the yearly EMS Sale on Comm Ave. We thumbed in and camped out on the sidewalk. I tried out several bags and the only one I could afford was the regular version even though I really needed the long. It was $15 more and I only had enough for the regular. I finally decided to go with the smaller one and the guy who was helping us out said he'd put the bags away for us while I counted out my money. (I was fifteen and worked all summer out to sea on a fishing boat to scrape up the $80 for the bag). When we got back home and I opened up my bag there was the long bag in the regular stuff sack! :cool: I never got that guy's name but I'll certainly never forget him and I think of him every time I use it. Seriously good Karma in that bag!
Bob
I love a story with a happy ending. :D

post'r boy said:
got it for 150.00 bucks off R.E.I. in washington state,long before they became nationwide :D
Mine's a '73 REI model as well. That may have been my first purchase when I became a member. Back then they were strictly a mail order co-op, no stores outside of WA. Somehow they were more earthy before they carried all the fashion apparel.

I too have a 35 years plus down bag I bought for $120 back when I brought home $65 a week. Still use it but at warmer temps. Of course it could be me and not the bag which does"t work as well. Keeping it clean seems to help.

I've got a Qualofill bag, has to be at least 25 years old. Originally rated as a 0 degree bag, I have used it last year to 15 with no problems with staying warm. What I do have problems with is it packs to the size of a oil drum and weighs a ton. I'd say a well cared for bag can last as long as you're willing to keep it.

My oldest down bag is an '83 EMS Robson long, -20 or -30, I've forgotten now. It is still a great bag and keeps me warm (as of several years ago) well below zero.
synth bags never seem to last more than 3-4 years - the insulation degrades or collapses over time.

As usual, I agree with most of what Doug had to say.

To that I would add that my sleeping bags have a similar life-cycle as my climbing ropes in that they don't get retired of a sudden - they get transitioned to "less demanding" outings as they age. Rather like my climbing ropes.

A brand-spankin' new rope starts out as a primary lead rope. After a few years, it gets relegated to top-roping (where there are no serious impact falls), and, finally, ends up as an ice climbing rope (where it is subjected to crampon and ice tool damage). Okay. I lied; maybe it ends it's life as a colorful clothes line. But you get the idea.

My sleeping bags have gone through similar transitions from being "the" bag I turn to in sketchy conditions to, at the end of the life cycle, a summer car-camping bag. It all depends on how the thing ages.

I've definitly replaced ours after about 10 years. There are so many new features out there, including water proof down bags, that we swaped over.
I esp like a sleeping bag with a 'draft collar which is just about shoulder height and helps keep all the nice warm heat from escaping every time you toss and turn.
Besides they are finally making some bags designed for women including some smaller ones..depending on ones height no need to lug around a six foot bag unless you happen to be about that tall.
I suppose that is more of updating your sleeping bag.
I certainly got tired being cold in my -20 synth bag when it was 10 degrees out.... then on nights it was actually -20 I would need to carry two sleeping bags so I was lugging around five or six lbs of sleeping gear plus maybe a dry bag if I was worried about melting water.
We will donate the old bags to the scouts or some of the other groups so they still get to be used and appreciated and will have many a happy camping life....for others.

Your 1993 Down bag is not very old and can be revitalized by washing it. It will fluff right up, good as new. I have my 20° bag since 1978 and it fluffs right up and keeps me just as warm as it did back then.

If the bag is very old it will more often show in the outter material dry rotting and leaking feathers. That says it's time to move on.

The life of a sleeping bag...

depends on a number of factors like quality of product and use level and care. That said my very first sleeping bag, which I bought back in 1995 is still going strong. I have probably exceeded the manufactuers asummed usage level and I have only washed it a about 1/2 a dozen times. It was also a sale item and it is down. That said- it is getting a little worn and is not as warm as it once was- but I can't complain. I can afford to purchase a much "better" bag now- but damn if I'm not sentimental.

I hear you woodstrider, I am sentimental about the old bag as well. Well this is a Caribou bag, and it has never been washed :eek: I believe I bought it at "Top of the Slope" in Wilkes Barre, PA. It was my first summer backpacking and my first summer in the Adirondacks. Ahhhh, memories.... :)

Synthetic bags and a glass of beer have something in comon. They'll both get flat after a certain amount of time. However they can both be used. The bag just won't keep ou as warm, and the beer won't taste as good... but it'll stil get you drunk, and then you won't mind the bag not keeping you warm.

My old synthetic is 16 years old. My son uses it for work, sleeping in it 5 nights a week. A bit heavy for the insulation it provides, but he doesn'T notice. When hauling a 100 pound pack, what's another pound.

Dory said:
..... and it has never been washed
Glat I didn'T sleep in the bunk below you at Peggy O's

Ever notice that while people will talk about their sleeping bak this way, they'll never talk about their underware like that?