how long to do all of baxter park

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stocks

Reaction score
i am thinking of doing the hole park of baxter, i am not sure on how long it would take. i would start at katadin stream. and i would want to go all the way to the north part of the park, to second lake and come back and do knifes edge. any tip would be great. thanks

Are you looking for a route to go as close to the perimeter and around the park as an overnight trip or are you asking how many days to take in as much of what the park has to offer as a combination of dayhikes and overnights? Your request is vague and I am not sure what your objective is.

stocks: need more specifics for what you want to do. In the Meantime, I'd get Stephen Clark's "Katahdin - A Guide to Baxter State Park" 5th Edition. it is a fantastic book for all that is BSP.

As far as "how long to do it all", I've been there 6 times and I've only touched the surface. Everytime I go, I find another place I want to go. My favorite place to go.

Last edited:
You'll need reservations anywhere you stay in the park. Lot's of desireable spots like leantos and bunkhouses are booked early in the year. You can't just bivuoac anywhere you'd like, they frown upon that sort of thing.

I've been trying to do all of Baxter Park for years.

There are still a few trails or campsites on my "to do" list.

Plus - they take lean-tos out, put new ones in, re route or add trails...I hope I'll be a lifetime at it!

:D

Stocks, these folks are right -- if you're trying to redline every trail, it'd take a while. There are about 200 miles of trail officially maintained by the park authority, though there's a lot more to do if you count the unofficial routes and still more if you enjoy boating.

Roy, I haven't been up the Hathorn, but was checking it out last weekend. (Thanks Ridgerunner for the reservations!) Enclosed is a pic of the valley from Burnt Mtn (where the views from the firetower are now being overgrown even after you climb the ladder, and where we were buzzed by thousands of black flies and one peregrine). We also went out to McCarty field to scout and found what should be the terminus of the tote road route, though we did not explore. If you're out there soon, wild strawberries are abounding.

Don't you love it when someone asks a question, several people respond, and then they don't come back for the information!! Anyhow I enjoyed the answers. :)

i am here taking in the input from all. i am just making plans to do 12 days in the parks, and wanted to know how much i can get done

well how much do you think i can get done in 12 days. and how far is it to get 2 grand lak from katahdin lake?

I don't know "how much" you can get done in 12 days...but I'd say don't rush through any of it - there's a reason it's taken us all so long to see the entire park - so much peace and beauty.