how long to save a "lost and found" item ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always wonder about this. There are soooo many hikers out there who have never heard of VFTT. Is there any other place that takes L&F? Nearest ranger station to the area where it was lost, Pinkham, Highland Center. They are well known spots. Perhaps some arrangement could be made that the finder would get in back if no one claimed it within a certain amount of time.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I seem to recall that someone mentioned this on the boards previously.

Considering the "hike safe" message isn't getting out really well, I can't imagine most looking to us for their lost items.

I've returned lost items through VFTT with a little help from Facebook. Someone who has lost something of value is more likely to come here when they've lost that type of item through at least word of mouth, as they are more likely to be a "real" hiker as opposed to those who just go hiking with whatever they have (ie without flashlights, headlamps, enough water).

I'd say that it depends. If you've found something of real value, I'd hold onto it longer( camera, snowshoes). Something less valuable, put it to use yourself until or unless owner claims it. Or give it away.
You could always mention in the L&F that the item will be given away if not claimed by - - - -.

We've seen examples of how people will go to extremes to find an owner (the camera that was lost for several years) or to make things right (the German Shephard in CO who had been left behind).

Is there any other place that takes L&F?

In CT I found a tool box roadside with a decent amount of tools in it that had obviously fallen off some contractors truck. I turned it into local police and they held it for, I think, 3 months waiting for someone to claim it. When no one did, they gave it to me. This was a relatively high value item, so the police took responsibility. I doubt the local mountains police departments want to become a repository for lost poles and snowshoes.

I agree with "try harder to find the owner and hold onto longer regarding higher value items ", though I don't think I'd search Google maps and city tax records to locate the owner of most lost items. My recently found item is low value and I'd probably offer it up to someone who could use it in like a month from date found.

FWIW, if I were the recipient of your low-value item, and its rightful owner showed up, I would return it without any issue. I think after 2-4 weeks, you're probably safe.

(As a parent in a fairly well-to-do town, I am always amazed at the expensive articles of brand-name clothing which are in the lost+found at school. I'm also amazed that my kids stuff when lost does not always appear there... The point here is that for a low-value item, I don't think many people expect or try very hard to get it back.)

Tim

Depends on the value. I personally would not leave anything at a kiosk unless it was an out and back hike and I found it on the way back. I have seen to many jackets, water bottles, etc. pile up at those locations.