how much fun are group hikes?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s.e.charles

Reaction score
i see all kinds of group hike advertisements. i also consider the entire activity of backwoods exploration an individual activity.

i cannot fathom any reward in going walk-about with twenty five of my closest un-acquaintances.

what am i doing wrong?

ITs a different experience. I stick with smaller groups and they can be fun. Once it gets over 10 folks, the enjoyment level goes down. The problem usually is that the group has to proceed at the lowest common denominators pace.

I did a few group hikes back in the 70s and did not care for the experience. One that I did with a guide in Australia went off the rails pretty badly but had a happy outcome in the end. Some minor injuries (or inherent infirmities that surfaced during the hike), but everyone made it out alive and there was no tragedy. Since the early 80s, the largest group I've hiked in is a threesome. Most of the time I hike solo or accompanied by one long time trusted friend whose judgment I respect.

Yes, it's a different kind of hike. I can't see a 5-10 mile hike climbing a few thousand feet to a single viewpoint with email acquaintances, unless it's to provide mutual support on a sketchy trail. And, the fewer the better.

On the other end of the spectrum, and not so germane to VFTT, I lead short hikes with my local Land Trust. These are open to whoever shows up. We go slowly because the average age is "up there". My last one climbed Kissacook Hill, a lofty 415' and one of a half dozen 400-footers. (Sorry, no patch.) There is plenty of opportunity to stop and talk about the trail's namesake, a root cellar or mom'n'pop quarry, invasive plants, or the crew that cleared that fallen tree. There are regular attendees, and there are drop-ins. They are receptive to learning something new, and the hike is over in 90 minutes. Everybody wins.

Not really my thing. My mom enjoyed doing those types of local hikes though. Seems like a good option for older hikers or anyone else that would rather hike in a big group. Some people aren't as at ease in the woods. They'd rather hike with company.

I am solo most of the time but occasionally do group hikes. But they are with people I know and have hiked with before, so the expectations/pace, etc. are known. And the sizes are small. Less than 10 people. I won't hike with huge groups.

Not really my thing. My mom enjoyed doing those types of local hikes though. Seems like a good option for older hikers or anyone else that would rather hike in a big group. Some people aren't as at ease in the woods. They'd rather hike with company.
I was going to say this. Before my mother passed, she was still hiking a lot and I wasn't able to go with as much as I used to. In her 70's, she still had the fire to go and everyone realized being solo probably wasn't the best thing for her. She would stick to areas she knew and never had an issue. Coincidently, she met a neighbor who was the NH AMC President, and leads trips all over the world. The became great friends and convinced my mom to go on her trips with her. Only regret is they didn't meet much sooner.

The note above about them tending to cater to the lowest common denominator's pace is true, and was her concern with going on a trip where she didn't know anyone. Thankfully she found out she wasn't nearly as bad as she thought she was.

BTW, VFTT used to have a lot of group hikes. I went on a memorable one where a member lined up a shuttle bus and we did the Lost Pass bushwhack with a stop by one of the best preserved former logging camps in the whites. That hike exceeded 10 folks due to logistics. It was great way of meeting folks from all over. In general in the early days of VFTT, the events subforum was quite active. The early yearly Gatherings tended to have a lot of group hikes as they usually were in remote areas with hiking destinations that may be logistically challenging. Later on when the Gatherings turned far more social, the group hikes lessened as it interrupted recovery time from the previous night's partying ;)

Group hikes seem to work well for beginning and intermediate hikers and hikes. Many people are more comfortable in group setting learning the basics, the problem is sometimes no on in the group really is competent and the group can get into trouble assuming someone else know what they are doing.

There were multiple VFTT Presidential Traverse group hikes for many years and in some case groups would head up to do hiker magic on Presi weekends.

I remember a big dog friendly hike up Carrigan one year. I think the dogs and the human participants had a great time.

I do remember one challenging group hike led by Dave M in his former "backyard" on Moosilauke that went astray when a new member misrepresented her ability, and we ended up having to substantially change the hike plan (after having to spend an hour coaxing her down step by step down a cliff face). We still covered some interesting territory. I dont think anyone had a bad time, it just was a journey versus destination hike.

At some point VFTT got too big and there were cliques that formed plus some relationships soured making certain folks unwelcome by other folks. The cliques tended to move their activities over to private Facebook groups so they could limit new people into their circle, the problem is the circles tend to get smaller as people inevitably drift away.

Covid really changed group events and sites like Meetup are still seeing the impact. I am an assistant leader for one formerly very large regional hiking meetup group and while the numbers of "members" keep climbing, the number of events have plummeted and when a rare event gets listed its rarely full.

I have run into small Hiking Buddy groups on occasion, Hiking Buddies is a Facebook Group that existed for a couple of years during Covid but burned bright in 2023 when they tied into the Emily Sotello tragedy. I am unsure how they limit group size. An interesting concept but when they introduced their hiker certification program tied into Redline guiding at $200 a weekend I wonder how well that flew. They do have slick website but not a lot of 2024 activity on it including the second year of their big Emily Fundraiser.

I like hiking solo and doing group hikes. I've done all the lists and peaks many times over. I'm usually the leader and I enjoy taking the role of being the "tour guide." My groups hover around 10. I have both familiar faces/friends and newbies attending. Everyone is super friendly, I enjoy meeting new people and the conversation. One thing particular for me is living the experience all over again through someone's eyes when they see the view from the summit for the first time! I get jazzed up each time I reach the summit when I solo hike but it's not as good as my first time. I also like sharing my knowledge and skills to make everyone better and safe hikers.

Group hikes are not for everyone, but it does have its merits.

I hike to get away from people, so I'm solo 90+% of the time, occasionally I'll go out with a close friend or family member. I do a lot of hiking in Harriman and frequently run into large groups, all jabbering away, can hear 'em coming from a long way off. It's one reason I hike off trail a lot.

I have been a soloist my entire life, mainly for personal reasons. I do love having complete say over everything I do, it's quite relaxing to just do whatever you want. In the last few years, I have picked up a few partners that I hike with once or twice a month, it's very enjoyable to have the company. I do have to slow my pace and it's sometimes an effort to be diplomatic in decision making, but I try. AS far as large group hikes, I'm not interested, I'm an introvert and I'm never in large groups in any aspect of my life, certainly wouldn't enjoy on a trail.

I used to belong to a couple Meetup hiking groups and had pretty good times on them, but I’m just not a “head up the trail, no stopping, no looking around, 5 minutes for pics on the summit then back down the same way so we’re not out after dark.” I like to stop, look, and listen, check out interesting things and take pics, maybe lean against my pack for a 1/2 hour nap on the summit, etc. Everyday life is scheduled and regimented enough, why the hell would you want to do that while out in nature, too?

Plus, I LOVE hiking at night, hearing the completely different sounds, and looking at the sky. Quite possibly my favorite hike ever was a solo November night (almost) ascent of Chocorua via Piper>Weetamoo>Hammond>Liberty trails to overnight in Jim Liberty Cabin. An October evening hike down the Tripyramids via Sabbaday Brook Trail with a like-minded hiking partner was great fun, too. We got back to the Kanc around 2130 and had to road walk to the Pine Bend Brook trailhead, at which point he headed to Lincoln then south on I93 to pick up his son at Logan Airport. I headed back to Route 16 & Maine, and once I got service boy did my phone blow up with texts from his worried wife and mother who couldn’t reach him LOL.

"Group Hikes" can be defined different ways. A well organized group can be a lot of fun if it is not too large. This occurs when there is a defined leader and possibly a Co-leader. IMO if you are a participant of the group then you should expect to act as a group. For example working together, staying together and moving at the pace of the slowest member should be seen as part of the group effort not a problem. Otherwise you should not be there. Why did you go as a group to begin with if you don't stay as a group which might be going slower than you might hike alone. Group implies a social level of engagement while hiking. Always amazes me when a rescue occurs because someone was left behind when they started off as a group. Groups organized by some online social media is not my cup of tea. Personally, I think you are only asking for some of the above mentioned negative situations among a myriad of other issues to occur. For the most part I don't like hiking with people I just met only to find they are in over their head or do not want to adhere to the dynamics of a "Group Hike". Much more can be misrepresented or a lack of one's own understanding of developed skill sets can be present. Albeit back in the early days of VFTT I participated in a few group hikes that were about 10 people in all. Those were loosely organized and definitely resulted in a few leaky holes which I won't go into great detail. Although it was enough to turn me off, I did meet some other solid hikers that I hiked with again in smaller groups. Mostly I hike alone or with one or two other hikers I know well like my Wife.

Last edited:
One thing particular for me is living the experience all over again through someone's eyes when they see the view from the summit for the first time!
I don't group hike but have recently started hiking with a couple of partners a few times a year and this is what I like most about it too- seeing the same awe inspired grin I know was on my face when I did it. In March 2020 I went up North with a girl I've hiked with for a few years and after doing Monroe via Ammo to get her some Winter experience above tree line we wound up continuing on to do Mount Washington for a Winter 4k. As we approached the official summit sign I just kind of hung back about a hundred feet and let her go up first. She literally ran the last 50 feet, hugged the sign and screamed she was so psyched to do Washington in Winter. She had a smile on her face all the way down and most of the drive home. I think I enjoyed watching her bag Washington in Winter more than the first time I did it. One of my most memorable hikes. I still mostly solo but I do see "pros" to being with other people that were lost on me before.

I don't group hike but have recently started hiking with a couple of partners a few times a year and this is what I like most about it too- seeing the same awe inspired grin I know was on my face when I did it. In March 2020 I went up North with a girl I've hiked with for a few years and after doing Monroe via Ammo to get her some Winter experience above tree line we wound up continuing on to do Mount Washington for a Winter 4k. As we approached the official summit sign I just kind of hung back about a hundred feet and let her go up first. She literally ran the last 50 feet, hugged the sign and screamed she was so psyched to do Washington in Winter. She had a smile on her face all the way down and most of the drive home. I think I enjoyed watching her bag Washington in Winter more than the first time I did it. One of my most memorable hikes. I still mostly solo but I do see "pros" to being with other people that were lost on me before.
My days long ago before dirt was created, I was a Hiking Counselor at a Boy's Camp. I look back now on those days and probably the best part as you have described above was the joy on others faces when turning them on to the Mountains. Many of the boys were from a city environment and some under privileged. The first time out was especially the best. It was a passing of the torch from those that went before me and to those that carried on after me. Thence my comment above about well organized hikes.

ITs a different experience. I stick with smaller groups and they can be fun. Once it gets over 10 folks, the enjoyment level goes down. The problem usually is that the group has to proceed at the lowest common denominators pace.
I led hikes in the Northeast for over 30 years. I recall once leading a Falling Waters / Bridle Path loop. Twenty people showed up. There was another AMC leader there, so we split the group up into two, those wanting a faster pace, and the rest slower. It worked well and everyone was happy. AMC major excursions could learn something from this procedure, instead of going at the slowest hikers' pace.

A lot depends on what you want out of your hike. Hiking attracts lots of personalities, group people, loners, exercise junkies, peakbaggers, backpackers, FKT seekers.
I rekindled my boy scout interest in hiking after a late in life divorce. Meet-up group hikes provided easy friendships, social interaction, and stress-free learning. Organizing was also a way to give back. In addition to "locals" from NH, hundreds of car-less Bostonians piled into rented or borrowed cars to follow us up a 4000 footer. It was usually a blast but every once in a while you had a bad group.
Anyone can see my personal example of a best case scenario for group hiking on NH PBS.

A lot depends on what you want out of your hike. Hiking attracts lots of personalities, group people, loners, exercise junkies, peakbaggers, backpackers, FKT seekers.
I rekindled my boy scout interest in hiking after a late in life divorce. Meet-up group hikes provided easy friendships, social interaction, and stress-free learning. Organizing was also a way to give back. In addition to "locals" from NH, hundreds of car-less Bostonians piled into rented or borrowed cars to follow us up a 4000 footer. It was usually a blast but every once in a while you had a bad group.
Anyone can see my personal example of a best case scenario for group hiking on NH PBS.
Do you have URL link to the NH PBS site?