How often do you wash your clothing and gear?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adktyler

Reaction score
I did a search for this, and didn't find this exact question. If there are similar threads, please let me know.

I am wondering how often you wash your clothing and gear? In the past I have only taken one or two trips a month, but now being out every weekend, washing things has become more more of an issue.

I would like advice on how much to wash my shells, my fleece and wool jackets, my gaiters, my boot liners, etc. Nothing in specific, just looking for feedback. This would also extend into cleaning gear in general, such as poles, backpacks, etc. And what factors weigh into your decision?

Any counsel out there?

Last edited:
I did a search for this, and didn't find this exact question. If there are similar threads, please let me know.

I am wondering how often you wash your clothing and gear? In the past I have only taken one or two trips a month, but now being out every weekend, washing things has become more more of an issue.

I would like advice on how much to wash my shells, my fleece and wool jackets, my gators, my boot liners, etc. Nothing in specific, just looking for feedback. This would also extend into cleaning gear in general, such as poles, backpacks, etc. And what factors weigh into your decision?

Any counsel out there?

Not enough.

I was looking at my overnight pack last weekend for the first time in six months. I never cleaned it after spending a few weeks in the southwest and all the straps have rotted. D'oh!

My schedule for washing stuff

Fleece clothing and Goretex outerwear- only when it gets boogers on it!

Gaiters- winter: never (they are rubber cemented to my boots)
summer: when they get dirty, which is usually every trip

Boot liners- never have been washed, but probably should be- I have no idea how! I should probably just buy replacements.

Trekking poles- they get taken apart and air-dried between trips

Pack- summer: only gets washed when visibly dirty, usually at the end of summer with a garden hose and mild detergent, then dried in the shade
winter: Now, how would that get dirty?

Tents- only when they get mildewy from an extended rainy multi-week backpacking trip

Sleeping bags- synthetic: when they are used for the last time in the season
down: very rarely, maybe once every few years

I don't know about a wool jacket, probably the same as outerwear....

All in all, it really just depends on how dirty stuff gets. One thing for sure is that the stuff is always allowed to dry out before being repacked. I think that is the key to saving on wear and tear of the gear.

Inner/middle layers and pants after each hike, unless I plan to solo the next one :)

Other outer layers, what Wardsgirl said, Schoeller and fleece more frequently than Gore-Tex.

Caps/hats a couple of times a season.

Gaiters, boot liners never.

Talk about airing dirty linen in public ... :eek:

What others have said is close to my routine, too, but I'd add boots, in this case leather boots since I don't use plastics except for xc skiing.

I clean, condition, polish and waterproof my goretex boots after almost every hike, except shorter dayhikes that don't get them dirty. This preserves the leather and extends the life of the boot tremendously, especially with effective replacement of the treads. The shank on my boots often breaks down before the leather.

Anybody experience that white substance on your boots after hiking in snow, like salt from city streets, even though they've been worn only on the trail?

How about never? Who washes their bag and crap? It's hiking clothes -- they get nasty; I wash them once every so often (a few times a year). Other stuff: gear, shoes, poles, backpack, maps, hats, gloves: Never ever. It's just gonna get dirty again.

If you feel like your clothes are dirty, wash 'em. If ya feel like your gear is dirty, hose it down...

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
How about never? Who washes their bag and crap? It's hiking clothes -- they get nasty; I wash them once every so often (a few times a year). Other stuff: gear, shoes, poles, backpack, maps, hats, gloves: Never ever. It's just gonna get dirty again.

-Dr. Wu

You don't wash your maps? WHAT?? What poor stewardship of your equipment.

What I'm also looking for is a healthy balance between washing things too much and thus causing wear and tear from the machines, and not washing enough so that the dirt and trail grime breaks them down faster. I imagine this is so much an individual case, though, that one cannot have just one answer.

I believe that washing stuff probably does more damage than the average hike (unless you have a front loading washer) so why cut your gear's life expectancy in half? I only wash stuff that stinks... socks, underwear, shirt. Fleece usually not very often but since it's durable I will do worry about it. I never wash gaiters and wash shell pants / jacket one a year. Most important thing is to hang everything up to dry every time and as soon as you get home.

I would maintain my boots more often but since they are already on the way out, I will hold off. My new pair will be cared for religiously.

I wash my clothes when they're dirty and nasty, if they're not too bad I follow a different schedule.

Base layers I always wash using Nikwax basewash at the end of every hike.

Outer shells I wash much less frequently, unless they're dirty, then I use the appropriate cleaners and waterproofers.

Boots I wash once a year before I put them away for their season.

Tents, backpacks, and sleeping bags are washed at the end of the season, unless very dirty, before they're put away.

I believe that washing stuff probably does more damage than the average hike (unless you have a front loading washer) so why cut your gear's life expectancy in half? I only wash stuff that stinks... socks, underwear, shirt. Fleece usually not very often but since it's durable I will do worry about it. I never wash gaiters and wash shell pants / jacket one a year. Most important thing is to hang everything up to dry every time and as soon as you get home.

I would maintain my boots more often but since they are already on the way out, I will hold off. My new pair will be cared for religiously.

That's one of the things I was thinking about, more damage coming from washing. But what about your gaiters and shells when they become muddy? Do you just spray them with water and then let them dry?

Thanks for the input, Lawn Sale, I was wondering what you do because I've seen your nice gear set up, and everything looked so clean and neat. I like your schedule of cleaning.

I guess a lot depends, however, on how dirty the gear actually gets. I suppose, as well, that I'm looking for a washing alternative that will be less damaging to the equipment than putting it through the wash.

Only my boots and gaiters have gotten muddy. I just shake the mud off of both. This seems fine for gaiters, but my leather boots are wearing out extra fast because I have not maintained them. I really should have always gotten all of the dirt off of them, just with a damp rag if nothing else.

Only my boots and gaiters have gotten muddy. I just shake the mud off of both. This seems fine for gaiters, but my leather boots are wearing out extra fast because I have not maintained them. I really should have always gotten all of the dirt off of them, just with a damp rag if nothing else.

Zer0-G suggested on another forum to wash them with a soft brush. I really like that idea because it wouldn't harm the material, but would get the dirt out of the fabric and such. Seems like a good idea!

Zer0-G suggested on another forum to wash them with a soft brush. I really like that idea because it wouldn't harm the material, but would get the dirt out of the fabric and such. Seems like a good idea!
I've read (manufacturer's?) instructions stating that one should wash coated fabrics with only water. Detergents etc can cause the coating to peel.

Dry before storing to prevent mildew.

Doug

I've read (manufacturer's?) instructions stating that one should wash coated fabrics with only water. Detergents etc can cause the coating to peel.

Dry before storing to prevent mildew.

Doug

Thanks, I will pay specific attention to that. I didn't mention soap, though, just for the record. I always read labels and follow their instructions to the T. Some of them, however, I find to be a little light on the details.

Thanks for the heads up :)

I suppose I should add: no machines. A gentle spray is best. I suppose a soft brush might be ok--but be careful about damaging the coating.

Doug

Boots - I got in the habit many years ago of brushing my boots off with a plastic scrub brush (about $1 at a Dollar Store) immediately after taking them off. There's a scrub brush in each vehicle. At the end of the warm weather season, I wipe the inside boot leather off with a wet cloth, let it dry, and then apply NikWax/SnoSeal to the insides and outsides, put in shoe trees, and put away for the winter. It's important that the mud not dry on the boots or else it will take out the oils fairly quickly.

Gaiters - I wash whenever they're dirty. Put them in a protective wash bag so the velcro won't snag other clothes. If you can see visible dirt then it's probably wearing out the fibers, even if they're made of Cordura.

Packs - maybe once every 3-5 years in a front loader.

Outer shells - not very often, maybe once a year. Maybe every 2 or 3 I'll wash with the NikWax special treatment as well.

Outer layer - maybe once a month (I hike every week, sometimes twice).

First layer - every time it's worn.

my clothes get it everythime im back from the weekend.. never used detergent on gaiters or boots, just a spray off. sleeping bags once a yr at the end of november. never have washed my shells , fleece is done with reg. clothes as they can hold up. backpack, I like to see my accomplishments and war wounds it gets..rainpants,never..brush them off...most everything had held up great..I'm not super agressive on usage either...tent never just air dry and brush out dirt..my truck never inside or out..it gets most abuse out of everything (the inside)...