How old are you ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How old are you ?

• under 20

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • 20's

Votes: 41 12.9%
  • 30's

Votes: 61 19.1%
  • 40's

Votes: 86 27.0%
  • 50's

Votes: 94 29.5%
  • 60's

Votes: 32 10.0%
  • 70's

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • 80 and up !

Votes: 1 0.3%

• Total voters

My wife's & my primary outdoor pursuit is hiking, and we HOPE to be able to pursue it for years to come. The poll results are very encouraging in that regard. Some of the more 'life experienced' hikers are my role models.
Ed

mudhook51 said:
54, started hiking again after a 30 year hiatus, and peak bagging right after that. I now use a folding chair at trailheads to put on, and take off my boots, but can still keep up with the "kids" I hike with. I know I'll never be able to retire completly, but what the heck.
I've been told that I don't look my age and sometimes I don't act it, but it's been a long time since I've been refered to as a kid. Thanks mudhook.

47 here.

Went out for a weekend on the AT 6 yrs ago and just kept going back until I finished. Then discovered this peakbagging thing and I don't see any end to it until my elevation loss is 6 feet under.

I'm thirty-fourteen. I started hiking on a regular basis when I moved to the White Mtn. region when I was thirty-three. Now I hike every Saturday and Sunday. Hiking and nature photography have become my exclusive recreation. Is that bad? :eek: My plan is to continue, and to earn enough income from photography to retire from the other crap I do for income. My dream is to hike and observe and photograph nature to a very old age.

happy trails :)

I am 27 wife is going to be 25 on wed. We had our first kid a son on Dec 15. I did a lot of hiking in my teens with the boy scouts. We started hiking a few years ago because it was the only kind of exercise I was willing to do with her.

We plan on continuing to hike with our son on my back this spring, its a bit to cold to take him snow shoeing. She figures after carring him around on 5+ mile hikes for 9 months it can be my turn for a few months.

Does anybody have any recomendations for dog/kid friendly accomdations in the north country?

Lou

DrewKnight said:
I think (I am banking on...) it's a temporary kink. I find that hiking, even just walks-in-the-woods, with kids brings you way back to a time when it was all new to you. Kids view the world from a low-angle, virgin-eyes perspective that really makes you see the mountains in an entirely different way.

I have friends who have been much more aggressive, and more successful, in immediately incorporating their very-small children in their outdoor lifestyles, but my kids have done well and love time spent outdoors as a family. Yes, you make accommodations, but kids seem to natively love the outdoors, and more to the point, they tend to love what we love. Also: look at this thread, and how many of us were lucky enough to be introduced to hiking and the mountains by older mentors, friends or family. Pay it forward, I say!
It's reassuring to hear these stories! I'm several months away from 32 and just had a baby in November. Steve (halfmoon) and I can't wait to get her outdoors. We've already dubbed her Norah the Explorer. Hopefully she'll live up to that name. :D

Chip said:
Perhaps it's just that they have DATES and are too busy to respond here. :eek: :D ;)

Haha, or maybe it's because they're already out there doing the fun stuff (well, maybe!)...which is what I should be doing, too, instead of playing on the computer! :rolleyes:

Lets call it an even 45, close enough.

Started moderate hiking at age 36 and then moving to NH has incorporated hiking as part of my lifestyle.* Without the physical and mental benefits of our obsession, i would be even less pleasant to be around...

Hope one day my son takes to it, but if not, at least we have our camping trips together.

Last edited:
I'm 47 and I started hiking app 4 years ago....Saw a "Backpacker magazine" presentation in a North Face store one night in NYC, asked my wife it we could stay and watch the slide show....place was packed with everyone talking about their "life list" (I did get an autographed book from Jon Dorn for my son)....I just kept turning my head from side to side listening and wondering what I was doing with my life...my wife responded telling me that we were bringing up our 3 children....I became selfish, found out about VFTT from the Backpacker website and just showed up at Spence's place in the ADK's....became obsessed with hiking and finished the Catskill 35's last April....It's tough to drive 350 miles in a day and hike only 8-10 miles....I ended up with osteoarthritis in both knees and should have taken it easy but "what the heck"...it was about hiking with friends and being outdoors...I haven't hiked in a year do to the knee pain and I don't know if I can ever do it again without some type of replacement...but good news...i just bought a kayak and am ready to see the "views from the bottom"...I miss hiking and I'll get there again...
ps...Because of this site i took my 2 younger children up Katahdin,,,best trip I think in my life...and I videotaped it..

Lou Hale said:
Does anybody have any recomendations for dog/kid friendly accomdations in the north country?

Sent you a PM, Lou, with a few good ones! We're always looking out for pet friendly places to stay. :)

I started day hiking with my family as a small child--3 or younger. As a grad student, I started the heaver-duty stuff. In my fifties and still going with no plans to quit.

Doug

27 here, started at 2 or 3... complained enough in the young years to be a pain on the trail... but at home complained that i wasnt out in the woods.... Well at least the first part has changed... no complaining outside... the colder the better!

Scouts between 12 and 17 (eagle), picked up technical rock climbing at 13, ice climbing at 26

Now as for that the hypothetical conversation that Trailbiscuit brought up... I dont like to admit this, i usually say something like that regardless of where we are going... because there has to be trailess thick forest or beaver dams to negotiate, rocks to spend the night under, or 8000 ft peaks to be stuck on top of (in shorts), boulders to get stuck on top of, university dorms to get stuck on top of...

Hell yeah for the invincible years!!!

too bad about the knees...

To steal from Nike... Just do it!

pudgy_groundhog said:
It's reassuring to hear these stories! I'm several months away from 32 and just had a baby in November. Steve (halfmoon) and I can't wait to get her outdoors. We've already dubbed her Norah the Explorer. Hopefully she'll live up to that name. :D

Congratulations! You're about to hit the "vertical take-off" point in Nora's development -- for most kids, 3 months is when they "come alive" -- from here on out, the interactivity and skills-development are a veritable rocket-ride.

As several other parents have said, the first thing you want to do is get a good baby backpack the comfortably fits you and Halfmoon (or can easily be adjusted -- I am 6' 2" and my wife is 5' 2", but the little Gerry plastic-frame jobby we had could readily be dialed for either of us), and get her outside on decent days. My kids rode on my back everywhere we went -- beach walks, city trips, "hiking" in the Blue Hills. When my older child had graduated to ground level and our new baby could hold her head up comfortably, we just picked easy trails and got out for an hour or two (Wompatuck State Park in Hingham, MA, or reservations along the coast).

The thing is, you have to adjust your pace and be ready to stop and revel in the small stuff (streams are full of fun even now), and you have to slowly increase the range and be prepared to carry a bit on the way back or in case of scraped knees, but it all just works. By the time my kids were 5 and 7, we were hiking to the first ledge on Welch, or doing Artist's Bluff, things like that.

A few specific tips:

* A good packable first-aid kit with kid-friendly Bandaids is a good thing

* Juice boxes make great summit refreshers

* Let them help make their own gorp and carry a small bag for constant
intake

* Make sure they have good supportive shoes (you'll be surprised how small hiking boots come!)

* The first quarter-mile is usually the hardest. Or maybe it's the last... but usually the middle is great fun

* Going with other families with same-age or slightly-older kids can really lift the whole operation

Have fun, Groundhog! You're embarking on a whole new outdoor adventure.

A few years ago, I met a 75-year-old woman on the way to Greenleaf who told me about her honeymoon 55 years earlier spent camping along the AT and staying at the huts. She and her husband celebrated their 50th anniversary at Greenleaf.

Pat and I will be in our 90's on our 50th anniversary. Maybe one of you younger ones will kindly wheel us out to the woods that day.

Hiking and nature have been a constant for us for 25 years now, through the best and worst that life has hurled our way. Even if injury, age, or disease limits your ability, you can still get out there. My love of wildflowers makes even short jaunts extra good, and when I'm totally decrepit, I'll take up birdwatching.

F 49. Started hiking when I was in my teens in the Pocono Mountains of PA. I've hiked on and off since. Discovered the ADK's in the mid 1980's when I was living in Massena NY. How much I hike depends on what else is going on. In my mid 30's I got divorced and went back to school to change careers. School and then working 2 jobs meant there was not alot of time for hiking. Got inspired to finish my ADK46 and start the Catskill 3500 and hiked all the time. I've cut back on my hiking since living in south Jersey (cape may area) means its a long drive to any decent mountains. Thats not to say I am not active. I've taking up kayaking, mountain bike riding, do triathons in the summer and trail runs all year long. There are alot of trail runs in a 2 hr driving distance from my house. I think of it as a faster version of hiking. Right now I am training for a 30K trail run a little later this year.

I began hiking in high school spending a few days after school each week at the Ward Pound Ridge Reservation. I worked outdoors all through high school <and a few good years beyond before starting college later> with horses, so my days were spent outdoors, getting lots of physical exercise, and enjoying working with animals. In my early 20's after giving up the "horse thing", I began trailrunning and mountain biking in earnest. Living in an area filled with dirt roads and huge pasturelands, I was in heaven and got outside everyday for runs, bikes, or hikes in the fields. This was while I was going to college and working a "real job" as a Veterinary Technician, instead of playing around with horses, I was playing around with dogs all day. :)

I saw my first glimpse of the Catskill Mountain Range while mountain biking at Minnewaska State Preserve (AKA "The Gunks") in New Paltz NY when I was about 24-25. The next weekend I was out in the Cats climbing Peekamoose and from then on I was in the Gunks biking one day and the Cats hiking the next day for the next several years. I had heard about the Catskill 3500 Club, but never attempted the list. I just kept hiking my favorite peaks over and over! :rolleyes: I expanded into the Hudson Highlands and Harriman State Park during the winters (lack of gear and others to winter hike with).

In my thirties I began to backpack, a couple of shorties in the Catskills and then my first big backpack was in Nepal, to Annapurna Sanctuary. Six months later I was back in Nepal with friends trekking the entire Annapurna Circuit. My addiction to backpacking began, and during my 30's I would try to backpack 2 100 mile trips each year as my job came with 1 month vacation...I tackled the Maine AT in sections (still have the 100 mile Wilderness left and a bit near the NH border), the Long Trail in 2 100 mile sections, 8 serendipitous days in the ADK High Peaks, big chunks of the NY AT, weeklong winter trips in Harriman State Park..then two separate trips to Colorado, Nova Scotia, The Pemi..and so on...dayhikes in the Catskills and Gunks and sometimes the Adirondacks filled in the gaps. I spent 7 years working in Ecological Research during this time, and during the summer months I would spend 1-2 days per week working in the Catkills, Fernow Experimental Forest, WV; Hubbard Brook Experimental Forest, NH. Being outside, walking along the trails, breathing fresh air --- a huge part of my life since High School. Its taken on different forms, but its always been there.

Later in my 30's I returned to college for 20 straight months and I barely hiked. I was able to get out during school breaks to the Catskills, the Gunks, or the Hudson Highlands...but that was it. I still got outside everyday, usually to smaller conservation areas in NY where I could hike around for an hour or two or three...and there was one epic hike in the Adirondacks that was amazing.

Just before I graduated I read about an Open Call on VfTT for the South Taconic Range...finally an open call near me! For a few years I had been a member of VfTT but hadn't met up with anyone...New Hampshire from NY is a long, long way! During most of my hiking life, I didn't know too many people who hiked, so I always hiked with a canine, first Charlie Brown (R.I.P) and now Terra Firma. So I went to the South Taconic Hike, and on that hike I met in person MichaelJ, who I knew from the boards, along with Dugan, RocksnRolls, Lattinhill, Silent Cal, and Jade... and well..the rest is history...since then I've been enjoying the Greens, The Daks, The Whites, and introducing MJ to backpacking in beautiful Colorado.

I have no intention of stopping. I intend to enjoy the outdoors my entire life, whether it be hiking, backpacking, biking, kayacking....as MichaelJ said, who knows what the future holds? :D

Seema, babies can be carried in backpacks. ;)

Last edited:
My mother, 81, just began training so she could come and be part of the ceremony we plan on holding for my son on the side of a mountain near Lake Louise this July. I don't know what to think about that.

Neil said:
My mother, 81, just began training so she could come and be part of the ceremony we plan on holding for my son on the side of a mountain near Lake Louise this July. I don't know what to think about that.
Neil - She'll be an inspiration to many, and I think it's grand she's honoring the memory of her grandson in this way.

I just turned 60, and my 'bowling ball' event was an MI in '93 which nearly took my life. I say 'nearly', as in many ways - some subtle and others not so subtle - it took my old life but gave me a new and better one, on many different levels. I'd always been active - grew up in rural VT, loved to play baseball, sail both fresh and hard-water, ski, and in my younger days hunt and fish, and was an occasional hiker. That changed about a year after the heart attack as I tried to find some physical activity that would keep me interested (I dislike gyms) year-round. Two hikes about treeline in the NH Whites and I knew I'd found it.

When I hike with friends on the East Coast a few are older than I; when I hike on the West Coast I'm often the 'youngster'. Last fall I had trouble keeping up with a 74 year-young friend as we dayhiked a 14-er, and many are in their mid- to late 60's. Occasionally we compare notes over a sandwich atop a peak on who's had what heart surgery/procedure, or how do we cope with medications which lower our heart rates, etc. It seems rather matter-of-fact, but we all know that each day is a gift, and while we plan for tomorrow, it may never come - try to live each day to it's fullest.

There are no guarantees, and the genetics we inherited play a large role in how long we can remain physically active at a high level. There are no magic pills or quick fixes here - just a dedication and discipline to make hiking and mountaineering an active part of our lives. And, it doesn't hurt to have a 'back-up' activity planned just in case - for me, that's road biking.

When I was growing up, I wanted to be a carpenter. We had an old, fallen-down barn, and wood for forts, cabins and the like was readily available. Well, life got in the way, and I went to college as a way of avoiding the Vietnam War. That didn't work - was drafted two weeks post BA, ended up in the Air Force and my career path lead thru health care administration, banking and IT. Like Papa Bear, I retired from that when I was 57. Now, I got to do what I always wanted to do when I grew-up - be a carpenter. I've finished building a house, a garage, a pump house and am now building my wife a yoga studio, in the photo below. And building it with my wife is an added bonus. She's going to turn 50 soon, and when I asked her what she wanted for this milestone birthday, she said "I'd love to be nailing on sheathing".