How old are you ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How old are you ?

• under 20

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • 20's

Votes: 41 12.9%
  • 30's

Votes: 61 19.1%
  • 40's

Votes: 86 27.0%
  • 50's

Votes: 94 29.5%
  • 60's

Votes: 32 10.0%
  • 70's

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • 80 and up !

Votes: 1 0.3%

• Total voters
Whoa whoa whoa. There are 15+ people in their twenties on this site?!?!?

No offense to my elders and wisers, of whom a great deal act, hike, and seem like they're younger than me and have taught me much, but who are you younger people? I know of maybe 4.

PM me, make yourself known, sound your barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world!

40's and 50's now running neck in neck! I'm 57 going on 20. Feel better than ever and hopefully this trend will continue for a long time. At least that's the plan. ;)

1st poll I've answered in years, but thought the numbers might be interesting. other than that...

We are DINKS in our mid 50's...(dual income no kids)
I fall squarely into "the greying of the mountains"...boomers who still hike.
(ok, that's all the catch phrases I can handle for now)

Active in the outdoors all my life, a seeker of solituide, my sports are non motorized only...

Renewed my hiking with diligence in my 40's...inspired partly because our favorite car camping places kept getting "improved" we felt in essence that we were being continually pushed back into the woods.
It was probably a push that I needed and hit the trails with increased vigor.

Seldom visit the huts or shelters, except for a lunch break.
All my hiking in the States is off season.. primarily in the winter

I find my stongest hiking years are recovery years....nothing motivates like having to stay out of action for a while...

I can feel my hiking is starting to fade off a little...I am old enough to remember quiter times in the mnts. Now when I go up it seems jets are always buzzing the mnts (Whites) and I've somewhat burned out making the commute up there.

on the plus side;
I take great pleasure in showing new people the mnts for the 1st time and this is such a year. (I try to spare them all the "I remember when things were better" stuff)

non hiking seasons finds me kayaking, which was introduced to me during a recovery year

no $ info but I felt it didn't have an impact on wheter I hiked or not except for times when I had no car.

I'm actually a little surprised by the advancing age of the hiking community that this (unscientific) poll would seem to indicate. I'm 54 and have been hiking for at least 40 years. I look forward to retirement when I can devote more time to it. For example, I'd love to through-hike the Long Trail and the Northville-Placid Trail, but have a hard time using my vacation time for extended hikes (my wife is not a hiker).
I've slowed down a bit, and I don't carry a full pack over peaks if I can help it, but I don't see any reason why I won't have another 40 years of hiking in front of me. ;)

14% in their 20s?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!??!

Wow doesn't feel like it! How much of that 14% is female? My guess is 0%!!!!

Not enough 20 somethings hiking anyways. The only place you usually see us is on the Presis, the franconias notch peaks, and a few on the huts route.

:sad violin: :eek:

Last edited:
Another vote for 50s.

Hiking (as defined for the poll) is the primary activity outside of work and sleep for both my wife and me. We're hiking as much as ever, and plan on a lot more (3-4 days/week) after we retire in a few years. We through hiked the NP in 06, kind of fast (needed to get back to work), and a lot of the conversation was about coming back after we retire and taking 3-4 weeks to repeat it, with lots of time to poke around the side trips and hang out in the best spots.

Papa Bear, you are EXACTLY on the money about retirement. Better too young then too old! The way I describe it to people (I'm a little morbid sometimes) is that there's a spectrum. One end is to retire early, have a great time hiking for 20 years, and then run out of money and eat cat food when you're 75. The other end is to work until you're 75, and then sit in a wheelchair and count your money. I know which end I'm going to be on. :)

TCD

And the best part is....

...that the focus of retirement is hiking!!! How great is that! Go 401K!!

44 here.

54, started hiking again after a 30 year hiatus, and peak bagging right after that. I now use a folding chair at trailheads to put on, and take off my boots, but can still keep up with the "kids" I hike with. I know I'll never be able to retire completly, but what the heck.

This is a great thread! :)
I can hardly believe it but I am 65. Saw the "Welcome to Vermont" sign when I was out driving my new VW beetle in my late 20's, came across Fort Dummer State Park, found a trail, checked it out, talked it over with my first dog Benjamin, and we never looked back.
Years of solo hiking with my dogs in VT, NH, ANP, Baxter (X1) and the Smokies ( with a friend).
Completed an Outward Bound dog sled/ski course in 03 at the age of 61. By the time I finished training for it I could stay on the elleptical trainer, with a pack, for 3 hours. They don't get many people in my age group. Best and most difficult thing I have ever done in my entire life!
As for "regular" folks in the 20-100 age groups it has been my experience that the vast majority of those I had encountered along the way have no desire to leave their comfortable lifestyles and experience first hand the great outdoors. When I returned home from my OB course and was relating my experience to the women in my knitting group, they were in a state of shock and one of them said to me, all wide eyed, "why would you EVER do such a thing?" They love the booze cruises, NYC, shopping, health spas, plastic surgery,all the things I can't ever bear to think about.
Each year at the Banff Film Festival in Lenox I get to sit in the front row with my "elderly" friends, from upstate NY. They always show up and I can't tell you their ages but they are OLD! They ski (both kinds), snowshoe, bike, hike and I think they might still roller blade the rail trail. Each year I look forward to chatting with them as much as I do the films. They are out every day in the coldest weather with their dog. They are my FIX if you will, my inspiration to persevere. I just love them. They are the best!
I retired unexpectedly two years ago after wrecking my back, hips and knees in a turbo fall down an entire flight of hardwood stairs. I have never been the same since but I will never give up. I sought out my own PT (won't get into the useless med care I received), and have managed to re-injure myself several times but time heals. Now you know why I am so interested in SPOT and other PLB's. Please understand I would not ever attempt anything that I did not feel I could do successfully but I guess I have come to the full realization that bad things can happen. No more feelings of invincibiltiy here.
In my mind I still dream of hiking the Bonds, and doing a trip to the Arctic, taking another Outward Bound course, etc. but these are my long range plans. For the present, I love reading all your great trip reports. I go out each day "hiking", although some might refer to these outings as just "walks". I will winter camp at Goldbrook and maybe Barnes toward spring this year and hope to alpine ski a real novice slope on a nice fresh powder day. I snowshoe the flats right now or mini hills. Thanks to UnaDogger, I have a new road bike that I love.It was her enthusiasm for hers that was contagious. My mountain bike is still working well. The mileage is less than it used to be, the intensity and difficulty of my escapades has been greatly modified, but the joy I feel each and every time I'm out there is still as great as ever. I will never quit.
I never thought it would be like this but I am grateful for each day and committed to making the aging/ injured body be the best that it can be!
Perhaps some day I will wave to all of you from Bondcliff!

Last edited:
marchowes said:
How much of that 14% is female?
Perhaps it's just that they have DATES and are too busy to respond here. :eek: :D ;)

Granted this is not a scientific poll, but the more that respond, the closer we'll get to a true number.

marchowes said:

Wow doesn't feel like it! How much of that 14% is female? My guess is 0%!!!!
I'm willing to get a sex change but I can't guarantee you that I can pull off 20's (considering that I'm nearly 33). Sorry... I can only go half way but I do aim to please.

Edit: I also won't shave the beard. I like the whole facial hair thing. I'm sure you can overlook that.

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
Aging

My first official hike was Mt Chocorua via the Brook Trail during the summer of 1947. I was currently being imprisoned at Camp Wonalancet, a boys' camp near Conway, NH. Since then I have hiked in many interesting places around the World. One of the highlights was "ultra-heavy" backpacking up and down the mountain trails of the Central Highlands of Viet Nam whilst being shot at by little yellow men. Surviving that, I have been "hillwalking" ever since. I'm on track to begin a SOBO of the AT on June 23rd, 2008. I should celebrate my 69th birthday on the AT, and finish in December at Springer's Mtn in Georgia. And as you can see from my picture here, I have very short legs: http://www.atcboundary.blogspot.com/ :D

Last edited:
dr_wu002 said:
I'm willing to get a sex change but I can't guarantee you that I can pull off 20's (considering that I'm nearly 33). Sorry... I can only go half way but I do aim to please.

Edit: I also won't shave the beard. I like the whole facial hair thing. I'm sure you can overlook that.

-Dr. Wu

Yikes, just yikes :eek:

54 on the calendar. Not 70 in the head because I avoid those who have talked themselves into 70 ahead of time. When I do hit 70, I hope to emulate my Norwegian granduncle -- that guy could walk anybody into the ground. I think he even kept his hair from graying by willpower.

As for the boomer bulge in the stats here -- I'd wager that if you factor out the impacts from diminishing parental obligations and higher income as folks mature, you'd still find proportionally more hikers in their 50s than among the cyclists and perhaps the skiers. My hypothesis is that the backpacking boom in the late 60s and early 70s continues to echo in '08. But I have no data to support that.

Hillwalker said:
And as you can see from my picture here, I am sans legs: http://www.atcboundary.blogspot.com/ :D
Umm, if you scroll down you can find a picture of Tom with legs. Last time I saw Tom, he still had legs:
2348748780064090481S600x600Q85.jpg

In fact Tom's 68 yo legs ran my 32 yo fat and out-of-shape ass into the ground. Remember, we're talking about a guy who hikes up mountains with a chainsaw slung across his back and heavy tools and paint cans in his pack to do trail maintenance on the AT, not to mention haul out trash. Not a normal 68 yo.

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
Ed 'n Duffy said:
Did you really get a dog into Baxter State Park. If so, please tell me how you did it? :confused:

Sorry Ed. I didn't make this clear. That's why included "with friend", (a human) for Baxter and Smokies!
This is why I have only been there once. Not a dog friendly place but I guess they have their reasons.

Pamola said:
Whoa whoa whoa. There are 15+ people in their twenties on this site?!?!?

No offense to my elders and wisers, of whom a great deal act, hike, and seem like they're younger than me and have taught me much, but who are you younger people? I know of maybe 4.

I'm 26...

I'm am very intrigued by the great spread of ages and experiences on here.

I'm not suprised by the #'s of people in their 20s, as recent hut croos, trail croos and outing clubs all have full ranks of young people who love the outdoors and hiking. I will say though that most of the young people that I see hiking tend to hike in packs and herds when I see them on the trails...just an observation...

I find that most people I head out on the trails with tend to be older, but I do have a few go to partners also in their 20s...

Last edited: