How to strain water when filling a Platypus?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AHIKER

Reaction score
I just got a great deal on a MIOX water filter. Till now I have used a Katydn Pro Hiker filter and the tube is simply fed into the opening in my Platypus water holder. I like the idea of the MIOX but now am faced with two problems:

1. Filtering dirt out of the water as I put it into my Platypus.
2. How to get the water into the platypus holder in the first place.

I think I may have a solution to number two. I always carry a 16oz nalgene so I could fill it by dunking it into a stream then pore it into the Platypus. I had thought of taking coffee filters along to strain the water. The opening in the Platypus is too small to use a coffee filter.

I am wondering what others who use the MIOX do. I have read a lot of satisfied users but no one mention filtering dirt out of the water. Any suggestions appreciated.
Gordon

Maybe one of these? Although the filter is not too small, it would get most of the big dirt.
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___87964

And what about just getting a bandanna and stuffing part of it into the platypus hole and pouring into the hole like you would if you only had a platypus and a Nalgene?

I wish you good luck with the Miox. I gave up on mine and so did a friend of mine who started with it on his PCT thru-hike.

Go to an aquarium or pet store and get a small fine aquarium fish net of nylon.
We use these in the winter to dip fir needles and bits of bark out of our water.
place it over the platy and strain.
Alternatively, a small filter funnel (Like a small yellow coleman fuel funnel) where you can stuff a bit of coffee filter into it and then put the tube end into your platy.

found another idea to try

I just discovered the Platypus CLEARSTREAM gravity filter system. The filter itself weighs only 4 oz. Since I carry the bags and hoses anyway, I can plug this filter in between two bags and it will "gravity filter" the water from one bag to the other. There were only two reviews on this prodcut but they were positive. I'll have to try it out before going on a hike. I only bought the filter not their 4L bags as I always carry two 2+ Liter bags. This filter gets rid of all but viruses which is what my Hiker Pro does now. Thanks for the ideas.
Gordon

I have a gravity filter. I don't know who makes it (it's in the basement right now) but it's a standard-looking ceramic cartridge connected to a huge bag, with a long output house that can screw onto any Platypus bag. It's wonderful for at a campsite, since you can just dunk that big water bag, hang it from a tree, and plug the outflow into a clean water bag. When it fills, just unscrew and put the next clean bag on.

However, since it depends on gravity, it's not that good for using while you're still on the trail. You'll be sitting there streamside, impatiently waiting for it to finish. The other factor is that if the dirty water has solids in it, it's going to slow to a trickle ... if your water isn't running clean, you're back to using a bandana to strain it on the way into the dirty bag.

That said, the select times when I've used mine, it's been great.

Here's mine in action back in 2003 at Guyot:

You might try a Steripen filter that attaches to your Nalgene. It will filter out most of the larger stuff, is easy to use, takes up litte space, and is very fast.

Keep in mind the MIOX is just a hypochlorous generator (the active component in chlorine bleach), so it will do nothing for some contaminants and the efficacy will be greatly reduced the dirtier the water (this also means color, not just chunks).

To be truly effective you should filter the water first, but then you're adding the extra weight.

If you're just straining, then a coffee filter works really well too. It's also probably the lightest option for carrying. I've used it in the winter as well with no negative affects.

Coffee filters are cheap and light.

I learned this after all the algae slime in the pond at Kisman's clogged up my MSR ceramic filter. Thank goodness I had the scrub pad to remove the algae.

Use a lady's nylon stocking as your filter.

I had a rubber ball syphon pump I bought from Harbor Freigh for $5. I made an adaptor to connect to my Platy hose with the sucker valve removed. It worked great till I lost it at McKinnley Hollow this fall.