How tough is Tecumseh?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trainwreck

Reaction score
I am recovering from rotator cuff surgery and am itching to hike something. I'll be in the Waterville Valley this w/e. Was thinking of going up Tecumseh.
I'll be with my gimpy lab, so I'm limited as well.
I have read a good number of TRs but would like input from anyone who can give me a realistic idea of the difficulty of this trail from the ski area side, not Tripoli.
Appreciate any and all advice.
Sandy

While a lot of people will consider it 'easy,' I find the trail to be a workout nonetheless. While there are no scrambles, there is a sustained straightaway (middle part of the trail) with a consistent pitch. Near the summit, the footing can be slightly tricky.

Nonetheless, as far as 4k approaches I have done go, it's one of the easier ones. I personally find Mt. Pierce via the Crawford Path to be easier and more rewarding, though.

It's one of the easiest 4000-footers. Most of the trail is extremely wide and it's mostly pretty smooth, no scrambling. It's got some direct uphill steps, and the summit cone section of trail is a little on the narrow and rough side, but one good arm will be more than enough.

Only worry is the fact that part of the trail gets used by skiers, so there might be some lingering ice after all that packing down. Check for recent trail condition reports or see if you can put on light traction one-handed. (Edit: Rollingrock's 5/25 report mentions mud, but not snow.)

Last edited:
Tecumseh is a good climb if you're feeling in less than peak condition. There are no tricky stream crossings, and no scrambling.

It's pretty freakin steep in that one section, but there is a "bail-out" just below that where you could hike back down a ski trail to the lodge.

No snow on the Tecumseh Trail nine days ago, when my daughter and I climbed it to the summit. On our descent, we took the Sosman Trail to the top of the Waterville Valley ski trails and descended by a series of them. I highly recommend that, and not only for variety. Their ski trails are more closely groomed than many others I've hiked, and we found the footing far better than that of the T. Trail. Then there are the views - non-stop of the Sandwich Range.

I hike up Tecumseh often because it is near where I live. I like it because as for the length of time it takes to get up/down the same trail, it probably is the least for any 4,000 footer. The trade-off is that it has agood, steep pitch to it; so that I get a workout each time. If your are physically fit, I think you would be fine.

Is there a particular reason, Trainwreck, why you don't want to climb Tecumseh from the Tripoli Road side? That's a very fine hike. The lower couple of miles, in the broadleaf woods, will be especially beautiful right now. The stream crossing at the trailhead isn't usually difficult (though, to be sure, I've not taken a look at it lately).

Tecumseh from Tripoli

Agreed with Featherered Hat..and Rocket for that matter

trail from the ski area has a couple of sustained uphills...the "runway" that gets skied on gets pretty boring as it is pretty viewless this time of year..nothing really steep or rough though.,.

trail up from Tripoli a very nice woods walk and while may be a bit wet in spots offers mostly better footing than the ski area side and some beautiful woods and a sub-peak..

when you going? we had talked about meeting up post op at some time...send a pm if you like

enjoy..

I also prefer the Tripoli approach, although the summit cone is a bit steeper right below it. If I'm in that area I prefer Osceola much more. While the distance is a bit more, the terrain & steepness is not as bad.

My best time for getting up Osceola is only about 20 minutes longer than my best tecumseh time up from the ski area. As far as views go, there is no comparison there either.

I'm not sure why rotator cuff surgery would keep you from hiking a trail where you wouldn't ordinarily use hands like this one, unless you are afraid you will put out your arm as a reflex if you slip and land on it wrong.

As this trail like every other at this season will have muddy spots where you might slip, would wearing a sling solve your problem?

Thanks to all.
I'll reconsider the Tripoli side. I think the distance played a part,2.5 miles is cheap for a 4Ker.
Even though I don't want to admit it, it is on my 'list'.
I did Osceola last fall, and I did Pierce last August.
We are staying in a cg right on 49 so I thought I'd stick to Waterville, and the Tripyramids are way out of my league, at this point.
Sandy

Do note that there are, I believe, two large step-ups from the Tripoli side - nothing major, but some may feel more comfortable using a pole or grabbing a tree to pull oneself up (I believe they're about 3' high each, so a bit out of range for a normal stride).

While I agree with all that the Tripoli side is far more appealing, it is decidedly rougher. If it is good footing you're seeking to get your (and your lab's) legs under you, I'd stick with the ski area approach, blah though many find it.
Good luck!

I agree completely with RickB.

The lower part of the approach from Tripoli Road is delightful, but beyond that it gets rougher, even before the col. The ascent from the col to the main peak is much rougher than anything on the ski side approach.

If you ascend from the ski side let me suggest that you take the Sossman Trail to the communications tower and descend by the ski slopes. Lots of views both from the two outlooks on the Sossman Trail and from the ski slopes! I do this quite often, an idea which I found in Dan Doan's 50 More Hikes in New Hampshire. He advocated using the service road; I prefer the ski slopes.

Personally, I'd vote for the ski area.

I've only done the Tripoli Road aprroach once, but I remember it being longer and rougher in spots than the ski area approach. I found the ski approach relatively easy, except that you have to put yourself in the right frame of mind to get through the never-ending-steepish-slog (latter half of the hike up).

A buddy and I did the ski side as a consolation after getting iced out at Tuckerman's last April. Yes, the middle part is a long, straight bit, but for us, it was the perfect gentle walk (uh, snowshoe) in the woods. Very pretty up top, although we had no views that day.

A guy and his dog hustled up & back, lapping us. We heard him say something to his dog about getting back in time for lunch, and we could tell it was a regular feature for him.

I decided it was a charming little trail. Good luck!

How hard can it be?

Hikerdude did it...

Thank you all for the advice.
Now I'm leaning towards the ski area side, so we can go down the slopes. I'd prefer some scenery reward for climbing this mountain.
As long as the footing is good, I should be fine.
Thanks again.
Sandy