Hunting Season Willies

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another point is that hunters can shoot from the trail; they do not have to stay 150 yards from a trail.

That is incorrect in the WMNF. Hunters may not shoot on or across trails, as it states on p. 53 of the 2008-09 NH Hunting Digest:

"The New Hampshire Fish and Game Department and the U.S. Forest Service have a long history of cooperative management on the White Mountain National Forest (WMNF). Hunting is permitted throughout the Forest, although some safety zones exist to minimize potential conflicts. In general, discharging a firearm is prohibited within 150 yards of a campsite, developed recreation site, occupied area, on or across a Forest Service road or trail. Hunters need to be aware of their surroundings at all times to avoid shooting into or across these areas."

I believe this also applies to state parks in NH.

Everyone appreciates that this thread has so far not descended the same path of 99% of threads begun with innocent questions about the coexistence of hiking and hunters.
Please, lets see if this one can continue to be the exception.

Thanks

That is incorrect in the WMNF. Hunters may not shoot on or across trails, as it states on p. 53 of the 2008-09 NH Hunting Digest:

"The New Hampshire Fish and Game Department and the U.S. Forest Service have a long history of cooperative management on the White Mountain National Forest (WMNF). Hunting is permitted throughout the Forest, although some safety zones exist to minimize potential conflicts. In general, discharging a firearm is prohibited within 150 yards of a campsite, developed recreation site, occupied area, on or across a Forest Service road or trail. Hunters need to be aware of their surroundings at all times to avoid shooting into or across these areas."

I believe this also applies to state parks in NH.

Hmm...interesting. I was surprised when a very high-ranking F&G officer told me it was legal to hunt and shot from hiking trails. I need to make a phone call. I know of two moose kill sites that are definately within 150 yards of FS road that also serves as a XC ski trail.

Thanks for the correction and the post. :)

I was surprised when a very high-ranking F&G officer told me it was legal to hunt and shot from hiking trails.

No hunting on/across hiking trails has long been the rule in NH on federal (WMNF) and state lands. It's just common sense. Here's the relevant state park reference from the F&G website:

"13. Are there any special recreation precautions or hunter safety regulations on state-owned forest lands?
Hunting is not appropriate near hiking trails, campgrounds, and other developed recreation facilities. Hunters are advised not to discharge firearms within 150 feet of trails or within 300 feet of any developed recreation area. For example, much of Monadnock State Park is inappropriate for hunting because of the preponderance of recreation trails in the park."

source: http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Hunting/hunt_NH_state_lands.htm

Note: 150 feet in state parks; 150 yards in WMNF. I don't know whether the former is a typo.

Last edited:
But not all hunting is with firearms. So what rules apply to bow hunters? I've seen a hunter with a bow crouched on the side of a hiking trail looking for turkey.

So it seems like the hunter I saw twice on Wednesday with his rifle was not obeying the rules. First he was on the trail, then he was about 100 feet off of it. I guess since I didn't actually see him fire the rifle he didn't break the rules, but I am sure he wasn't carrying it to not fire it.

So if you see a hunter on the trail should you inform them of this rule? I certainly don't feel like geting into a heated discussion of the rules when there are just two of us in the woods and I am not the one with the firearm.

It seems the rules for hunting can get very complicated. You can hunt this animal, with this weapon, starting on these dates, ending on another date but maybe earlier, in this WMA, this distance from this trail, campsite, etc...

It seems the rules for hunting can get very complicated. You can hunt this animal, with this weapon, starting on these dates, ending on another date but maybe earlier, in this WMA, this distance from this trail, campsite, etc...

Certainly less complicated than say filing your income tax return, or making reservations at Baxter State Park.

Then you get the fishing rules, which change every year. New bag limits, longer minimum size, different closures, etc. Every system has rules and if you participate you learn them.

Tim

So if you see a hunter on the trail should you inform them of this rule? I certainly don't feel like geting into a heated discussion of the rules when there are just two of us in the woods and I am not the one with the firearm.
It is my understanding that a hunter is allowed to carry a weapon on a trail, just not discharge it near a trail.

Thus a hunter can legally carry a weapon on a trail, but must leave the trail before using it.

Not an expert on hunting rules, but I believe the above is correct.

Doug

It is my understanding that a hunter is allowed to carry a weapon on a trail, just not discharge it near a trail.

Thus a hunter can legally carry a weapon on a trail, but must leave the trail before using it.

Not an expert on hunting rules, but I believe the above is correct.

Doug

Correct. A hunter can use trails to ACCESS hunting spots, but using them while ON is the no no.

Rules for gun apply to Bow also. A weapon is a weapon in the F&G eyes (rightfully so) so no matter the weapon chosen the same rules apply.

And for reference, in general any non state or federal land a hunter must be 100 yards from an occupied dwelling, compact area (6 or more occupied buildings within, IIRC a 600 yard area), and they MUST be 75 yards away from/across anything higher than a class VI road (the rule USED to be you could fire as long as just OFF the road but still not across it).

Brian

And for reference, in general any non state or federal land a hunter must be 100 yards from an occupied dwelling, compact area (6 or more occupied buildings within, IIRC a 600 yard area), and they MUST be 75 yards away from/across anything higher than a class VI road (the rule USED to be you could fire as long as just OFF the road but still not across it).

Just to clarify for those who aren't familiar with the statutes: It's the discharging of the weapon within the specified distances that is prohibited, not the presence of the hunter. Note that it's 15 (fifteen) feet, not 75 yards, from a class I through V road, and that the "compact area" distance is 300 feet, not 600 yards:

RSA 207:3-a Prohibition. – It is unlawful for a person to discharge a firearm or to shoot with a bow and arrow or crossbow and bolt within 300 feet of a permanently occupied dwelling without permission of the owner or the occupant of the dwelling or from the owner of the land on which the person discharging the firearm or shooting the bow and arrow or crossbow and bolt is situated. Whoever violates the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a violation if a natural person, or guilty of a misdemeanor if any other person.

RSA 644:13 Unauthorized Use of Firearms and Firecrackers.
I. A person is guilty of a violation if, within the compact part of a town or city, such person fires or discharges any cannon, gun, pistol, or other firearm, except by written permission of the chief of police or governing body.
II. For the purposes of this section, "compact part'' means the territory within a town or city comprised of the following:
(a) Any nonresidential, commercial building, including, but not limited to, industrial, educational, or medical buildings, plus a perimeter 300 feet wide around all such buildings without permission of the owner.
(b) Any park, playground, or other outdoor public gathering place designated by the legislative body of the city or town.
(c) Any contiguous area containing 6 or more buildings which are used as either part-time or permanent dwellings and the spaces between them where each such building is within 300 feet of at least one of the others, plus a perimeter 300 feet wide around all the buildings in such area.

RSA 207:3-c Use of Firearms, Bow, or Crossbow in or Across Highway Prohibited. –
I. No person shall discharge a firearm, bow and arrow, or crossbow and bolt from within 15 feet of the traveled portion of or across any class I through V highway of the state. This section shall not apply to those persons holding a special permit pursuant to RSA 207:7-a.
II. No person shall discharge a firearm, bow and arrow, or crossbow and bolt from or across the following public highways of the state including the rights of way thereof:
(a) Route 93 from the New Hampshire/Massachusetts state line in the town of Salem to the New Hampshire/Vermont state line in the town of Littleton;
(b) Route 89 from the intersection with Route 93 in the town of Bow to the New Hampshire/Vermont state line in the town of Lebanon;
(c) Route 95 from the New Hampshire/Massachusetts state line in the town of Seabrook to the New Hampshire/Maine state line in the town of Portsmouth;
(d) Route 293 from the intersection with Route 93 in the city of Manchester to the intersection with Route 93 in the town of Hooksett;
(e) Route 393 from the intersection with North Main Street in the city of Concord to the Concord/Chichester town line;
(f) Route 202/9 from the intersection with Route 114 in the town of Henniker to the junction with Route 31 in the town of Hillsborough;
(g) Route 16, commonly known as the Spaulding Turnpike, from the intersection with Route 95 in the town of Portsmouth to the Milton/Middletown town line;
(h) Route 3, commonly known as the F.E. Everett Turnpike, from the New Hampshire/Massachusetts state line in the city of Nashua to the intersection with Route 101 in the town of Bedford;
(i) Route 101 from the intersection with Route 114 in the town of Bedford to the intersection with Route 1 in the town of Hampton.
III. Any person convicted of discharging a firearm, bow and arrow, or crossbow and bolt prohibited under the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a violation.

Just to clarify for those who aren't familiar with the statutes: It's the discharging of the weapon within the specified distances that is prohibited, not the presence of the hunter. Note that it's 15 (fifteen) feet, not 75 yards, from a class I through V road, and that the "compact area" distance is 300 feet, not 600 yards:

Sorry, should have clarified about the first part :eek:

As for the others....YIKES! Thats what I get for trying to remember rules and regulations a 4:45 in the morning and before I have gotten caffine in me :D. But to be fair, I avoid compact areas now, and I self impose a rule of "if I can see the road I ain't shooting".....maybe thats why I am such a horrible hunter :rolleyes:;)

Brian

Certainly less complicated than say filing your income tax return, or making reservations at Baxter State Park.

Then you get the fishing rules, which change every year. New bag limits, longer minimum size, different closures, etc. Every system has rules and if you participate you learn them.

Tim

How true. Part of the flux in hunting and fishing regulations is that biologists, game wardens, conservation officers etc. now incorporate improved information on fish and a game populations based upon better knowledge of population, effect of natural stresses, breeding habits with far more science going into the details than before.

How true. Part of the flux in hunting and fishing regulations is that biologists, game wardens, conservation officers etc. now incorporate improved information on fish and a game populations based upon better knowledge of population, effect of natural stresses, breeding habits with far more science going into the details than before.

An obvious case in point is the timing of the opening of rifle deer season in NH this year--the day after the Veteran's Day holiday--to reflect the smaller herd thanks to last winter's natural decimation. There may be less interest in keeping forest roads open all the way through deer season into December as well if (when) the weather changes.

I hike up the Pack Monadnock Road in the mornings. On opening day for deer season last week there were 2 hunters standing on the road facing toward the Marion Davis Trail. I was glad to be on the road that morning rather than the trail with their guns pointing my direction.

In the last year of hiking up Pack Monadnock in the early dawn hours I have never even see a deer so I don't think there were going to have much luck. The hunters were absent the rest of the week much to the relief of myself and the others who get their morning workout on this mountain.

I have two bucks come through my yard in the evening - they trip the motion-sensor light. One is a young buck, maybe a 4-pointer, the other is a 12-pointer. This morning, there were three does cruising the perimeter of the lawn where it joins the lawn. I haven't seen the flock of turkeys in about 2 weeks now... maybe they know something ;)

Tim

I have two bucks come through my yard in the evening - they trip the motion-sensor light.

Good thing you're not in Maine, where it is illegal to "Use artificial lights between 1/2 hour after sunset and 1/2 hour before sunrise the next day to illuminate, jack, locate, attempt to locate or show up wild animals or wild birds from September 1st to December 15th of each calendar year."

And yes, that applies to people sitting in their living rooms, without a weapon in the house, watching the pretty deer at the backyard apple tree or the turkeys just passing through.

On opening day for deer season last week there were 2 hunters standing on the road facing toward the Marion Davis Trail.

I also hike S Pack quite often and wasn't aware of the state park hunting policy. Thanks for the info! Orange on!
By the way, yesterday the road gate was mangled and cars were driving up. I sent an email to the state park office.