Huntington's, Great Gulf, Adams' Slide, Tuckerman's 9/17-18

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suebiscuit

Reaction score
Hamtero and I decided to forego the fun of the gathering (so sorry - will be there for the winter fest, though) to finally do Adams' slide. Set out on Sat. up Huntington's - wasn't raining, but conditions were wet, so that when we got to the big ledge, it was quite slick. Hamtero's LaSportiva Trango's stuck like glue... my new Vasque Sundowners, though very comfy because they are extra wide, weren't doing the trick despite having roughed up the rubber right out of the box. Couldn't quite figure out how to get myself up this thing, so decided barefoot was my only option, which earned me the name Shoeless Suebiscuit. That's a lot of legend to live up to, but I figure the idea alone was worth something, and it got my up the ledge safely. The rest of the climb was uneventful, though I made the mistake of looking back once while hanging on the edge of a scramble... vertigo is setting in with old age, so was sorry I did that. Especially since there easn't really a view, being foggy and all.

Cut over to Gulfside along the cog railway. Who can feel bad about doing that with all of the coal and ties and wire and general crap strewn alongside the tracks...? Sheesh.

The top of the great Gulf trail is as advertised - quite loose and steep, then halfway down travelling along the steep streambed, so it was slow going, but made it to a campsite by dark.

Adams' slide was not too difficult to follow - thanks the NH-Mtn_hiker and friend for the tip to turn right (about 4400 feet). Had to go through some shrub to get back on the trail, but missed the thick bushwhacking.

Was a light rain by then - made it to Adams by noon, and set out on Gulfside, deciding to forego the peaks, as it was getting late, and we were really soggy by then...

Headed down Tuckerman's...wasn't so foggy that we couldn't see the falls off of the rim, which was a nice treat. Stepping from rock to rock the last couple of miles made me laugh... don't think we were on dirt for more than a couple of miles of this trip! Tour de Rocks, Tour de Steep, not sure what to call this loop, but it was epic fun...

still drying out

My skin is still shriveled and my boots are still wet...
When we made the top of Adams, there was a guy in a wet t-shirt making call after call on his cell phone-classic.