Hurricane Mt - 9-11-10

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
We climbed Hurricane Mt yesterday under bright blue skies.

The trail we climbed was from a PA at the end of Hurricane Mt Lane, which begins about 2 miles east of Elizabethtown.

This was the route the tower observer used to take and 5 years ago DEC was about to close it. Instead, Christine( BlackSpruce ) volunteered to adopt the trail and keep it cleared and open. Instead of this gorgeous route to Hurricane growing over and becoming useless, Christine keeps it cleared, marked, and ready to hike. She even carried in coated chicken wire to nail to the surface of a bridge to keep hikers from slipping on the wet or icy footing.
The trail follows a right of way across a private dirt road at its beginning, becomes a more usual woods road and then makes a turn, and starts climbing to Hurricane's rocky, open summit.

For those who haven't climbed Hurricane, put it on your short list to enjoy the views of dozens of peaks in all directions.

Besides the trip report, wanted to post a 'thank you' to Christine for the work she does on this trail, and for the years and miles of work she's done on other trails and herd paths - places that many have enjoyed and too many to enumerate here.

Peakbagr

Thanks, Alan. Looks like a nice hike. I was thinking of taking that route when we hiked Hurricane from Crow Clearing last weekend. Looks like you had a much calmer day on the summit! Great pics, as always, Jo!

Peakbagr:

Thank you for the compliments it always warms one’s heart to get some but to be honest I have to share them with the devoted “requisitioned volunteers” who often come along to complete various projects:

Angie, Alex, Ben, Brian, Cory, Ed, Gary, Georges, Matt, Mike, Phil, Suzanne, Tony, etc.

:D

Thank to you Christine and all the volunteers. We will go there one day.

Because it is a long time we did not go on Hurricane. We did several times Hurricane but always by 9N road. I was thinking the other day to take another trail next time.

And also, thank you Alan.

Last edited:
Thanks, Christine!

Always think of you and the tons of trailwork you and your gang do when I'm out on the trails.......'cause I know how many trails you maintain!!